Thread: Help me help a friend with his 360

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Default Help me help a friend with his 360

first off, I wanna get this off of my chest....

the 360 has got to me the worst piece of hardware the gaming industry has ever seen. the failure rate is so high, the hardware is made of complete crap and the systems are completely worthless now. I cant give these things away I've accumulated about 8 in 2 years of varying models and theres always something wrong with them.

any way...

a friend of mine who has lost his way in the gaming world and things call of duty is the best game ever hands down jock type gamer, had his kids knock over his ENTIRE entertainment center some how.
    360 slim was on top and it fell the farthest and wouldn't turn on. simple enough I thought.
    well I cracked it open and sure enough the ribbon cable for the power and eject buttons had come out, not a big surprise after a hard hit like that. well that was pandoras box.

plug it back in, drive wont eject, fairly sure theres a game in there but the tray is jammed up some how, hours later I get that sorted out and the tray opens and closes like it should and you can hear it read the disc as it should and stop so its seeing it, surprising considering the knock it took. take it into the other room after getting it back together and hook it to a tv, power it on. red power light, no ones home. so well fuck that one.

I go pull out the 2 slims I have, I got them for free when a shop went under, they didn't know what was up with them and I didn't get power bricks so I couldn't test them but now I have his and I want these gone any way.
    I plug one in, boots up fine. menus are all ok everything is running ok. pop the disc in, wont read. just like theres nothing in the tray. well screw that one.
    #2 I plug in and turn on, at first it seems ok but then I notice little green dots starting to invade the screen, more and more just growing. I go change video modes to 720p, 1080i and 1440x900 and I don't have dots but major underscan (even 1080i) but the instant I pop it back to 1080p the invading green dots start showing up on everything.....well crap.

now I remember there were things you could and couldn't do with a 360 in terms of swapping parts and adding your own things, but these are slims and I don't know if that's any different now.

of the hardware available I have...

first system, red dot, good optical drive as far as we can tell
    second system boots fine but optical drive doesent even try to see discs
    third system works but has invaiding green dots all over the screen that gets worse the longer the system is on (obviously a heat issue)

out of these 3 systems how can I get one working good system?

are DVD drives swappable in 360 Slims or are the serialized to each system still?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    APE992

No drives are just "swappable". WIth some sort you can move keys around still.
    I fix things. You name it, I'll work on it. Want something modded? Recapped?