Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Default Sony's poor first party game support on PS3

Recently I got Gran Turismo 6, it had a sh#tload of updates (21?!) and they would never install. I checked online and its a widespread issue, if you havent downloaded and installed previous updates it will never install or work! So if you buy the game brand new, it wont work! You have to actually download each update one at a time, then cancel, disable network, boot gt6 for each update to work, found it online sony wouldnt even help.

Then I felt like playing Killzone 3 online, and the game would boot about 1 of 10 times, then again I checked online forums and surprise, a widespread issue! My disc is brand new, nothing wrong with it or my system.

I also heard about problems with Twisted Metal, but havent tried it.

Have you guys had similar problems??

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

If you've ever created a custom vehicle skin on Twisted Metal and imported it to your game, but your current save data doesn't have that import, then the game crashes whenever you attempt to go online. Problem is, there's no way to get the custom skin any longer because the site and server were closed down once Eat Sleep Play went defunct. The online server still recognizes that there's a customer vehicle skin and searches your system for it if you're under the PSN ID that created it, but the server that holds them is closed. The only way you can play multiplayer online now is to play under a PSN user ID who has never created and saved a custom vehicle skin when that server was up. There's still people who are online playing Twisted Metal, but it's less than 100 weekly. The way the game launched with the online working as poorly as it did killed any community it could have had, I got tired early on of jumping through hoops just to play it. Online is fixed now and works and I can't even play it.

White Knight Chronicles 2's online had thousands of daily players. Sony shut down White Knight Chronicles online since most people moved on(even though I've heard there were still in the hundreds of people who played the first.) D3, the publisher who published WKC2, shut down the WKC2 servers the same day Sony shut down the WKC servers. Kind of a scummy move of D3, but Sony could have did something what with the size of the userbase that lost access to the games online. Either bully the developer into doing it for the fans or took over the server themselves and forced everyone to move over to WKC2.

Personally, I don't care much for the online issues of Gran Turismo, Killzone 3, Twisted Metal(even though I love the game,,)etc, but WKC2 was such a great game and I didn't get to put as much time into the online and played with others as I would have liked. Then Level 5 announcing Ni No Kuni 2 instead of WKC3 or atleast a spiritual successor. I am disappoint .

*edit*

You mentioned your GotY was Xenoblade Chronicles X and you also liked Phantasy Star Online. If you were to mix combat of Phantasy Star Online with Xenoblade, that's what you'd get with WKC, and the second game is both the first and second game in one plus a lot of fixes of issues people had with the first one. All of the online stuff is playable offline just with stupid AI so you're guaranteed not to hit GR20 or however high it goes in the west(still fun to solo for a bit though.) Would recommend it even if you got it for single player only.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-04-2016 at 04:10 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think it's really a Sony problem, well for you it is with that, but it's a general problem all of them cause people who buy their games and it's a longer standing problem kind of related to PCs and OS upgrades over the years tossing old games under the bus (and their patches.) I do recall various games on PS3 had upgrade patches but they didn't require them if you didn't compete online so I'd at times just ignore the junk if I didn't care. PS4 does this too, I got the Uncharted collection and was miffed it had a 1GB version upgrade patch, but it only required it if I went online giving me a clear choice not to do it, but I was busy so I just let it ride and it took like maybe 10min. I've had the problem before but it was related to PC OS upgrades, Sony pulling a game off the T-Mobile network back inthe PSP days (Loco Roco, my phone died and was replaced but the game I bought I wasn't allowed to have back as Sony pulled it for everyone) and people with the old Wii VC got screwed when Ubisoft for the TMNT license away from Konami as old TMNT1 NES got revoked. It happens, it's not isolated, and it's why various older gamers are a little to very touchy about trusting games they can't have or make a tangible copy of for future use and future proofing.

Currently I own NO PSN games because in the 4mo I had free PS+ I got the freebies and barely used them, don't bother with online, so I lost the stuff and see no reason to support it when I have discs and better choices on computer for downloads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Hey for me bottom line is I bought a new product still in stores on a still supported system, and its not working. Gt6 came out 2 years ago, bought it 3 months ago and cant play it? Doesnt seem right to me, im not talking about an original xbox game that came out 13 years ago!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

No I agree it doesn't seem right, but point was things just get pulled for stupid reasons that make no sense. Whatever the fix was for your racing game seems to have gone up in smoke and left you screwed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wait, what? There are ps3 games that won't work on a new system due to installs and updates? How are they allowed to get away with shit like that? Uh-uh, I'd be getting a refund from Sony or if I need to cause a scene in a store, that money would be going back in my pocket.

I was thinking about picking one up on the cheap, as well as some cheapo games. But fuck that if this is the case. The 360 red ring fiasco was enough to make me swear off modern console gaming for years. Bad enough I have to update my goddamn portable systems everytime I connect them to wifi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would have returned it to the store for a refund and informed them of the issue. It's essentially a defective product.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Wait, what? There are ps3 games that won't work on a new system due to installs and updates? How are they allowed to get away with shit like that? Uh-uh, I'd be getting a refund from Sony or if I need to cause a scene in a store, that money would be going back in my pocket.

I was thinking about picking one up on the cheap, as well as some cheapo games. But fuck that if this is the case. The 360 red ring fiasco was enough to make me swear off modern console gaming for years. Bad enough I have to update my goddamn portable systems everytime I connect them to wifi.
    The game will work just fine single player, but in order to go online, he needs to install the updates. It's not a defective product, the online either is no longer supported(in the case of WKC1 and 2,) or updates are required to play online.

The thing about GT6 with the updates requiring the game to play online, this isn't just Sony, this is every single dev who has updates. You wan to play online, you need to have the latest patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    The thing about GT6 with the updates requiring the game to play online, this isn't just Sony, this is every single dev who has updates. You wan to play online, you need to have the latest patch.
    That's why I've said enough times why I didn't keep any PS3 games after I moved on despite still having it in the main room demoted to BR/DVD and netflix/amazon/youtube player only status. You never know when someone will decide to pull a patch and partly or totally wreck a game for someone. It's not just online, it is for GT6, but other stuff can have this happen too more along the line of nasty bugs that cause issues or total bomb outs in rare cases in single player mode. That's just as much if not worse of a problem from being sliced away from online goofing around. It's also in a way why I don't have any PSN games on PS4 nor did I ever pay over $1-5 for anything on the Nintendo network for anything (or the pre-NN on wii/ds.) I got freebies, gifts, or gift card buys mostly. It's the lack of long term support, same with full download stuff, but at the same time I'm not mad about it, they can't support junk forever for some niche players who can't let go or want to do a re-run years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah that does suck. I would take Sony to task over it. You would think that they could at least try to release newer versions of games with some of the basic updates already on disc. Then there would obviously be less stuff for you to download and install once you do get online. I remember when I was running through my PS3 exclusives there were always updates, even for single player games, and they took awhile but there were only usually one or two per game.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Then I felt like playing Killzone 3 online, and the game would boot about 1 of 10 times, then again I checked online forums and surprise, a widespread issue! My disc is brand new, nothing wrong with it or my system.
    After I beat Killzone 2 I played it online and the multiplayer completely sucked. Not because of updates(although there were those too) but because of how slow the gameplay was, particularly the turn and aim speeds and the lag. I eventually went back to the good shooters on the 360. But over this past Black Friday weekend I picked up the Killzone Collection for $10. I haven't opened it yet but I guess I should be prepared for PSN issues if I try to play Killzone 3 online after I beat the campaign.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    After I beat Killzone 2 I played it online and the multiplayer completely sucked. Not because of updates(although there were those too) but because of how slow the gameplay was, particularly the turn and aim speeds and the lag. I eventually went back to the good shooters on the 360. But over this past Black Friday weekend I picked up the Killzone Collection for $10. I haven't opened it yet but I guess I should be prepared for PSN issues if I try to play Killzone 3 online after I beat the campaign.
    I've played Killzone 3 online, has great netcode, but some odd decisions in gameplay. It's got a class system like Battlefield, and one class(Saboteur?) makes you look like an ally and take one of the ally names and the name will change if they're off screen then you go back to them. Just an annoyance because you can't see through a level three disguise unless at a closer range, even when aiming, so you have to either pay attention to the map to see if it's an ally or shoot them a few times(friendly fire.) Level three Marksman class has a cloak that you can move around while in a cloak, so you're near invisible until you shoot your weapon. It'd be a fairly good fps if it wasn't for that stuff. I'm not too big on FPS' anyways, but that's my opinion of Killzone 3. Thoguht it was pretty good outside of some classes that just felt annoying to fight against when they were ranked higher.

I'm going to eventually get Destiny on the PS4 because I liked what I've played of the games MMO lite gameplay which was a lot like WKC and Phantasy Star Online where you go through missions in dungeons then go back to your hub. Unfortunately Destiny has a time limit of whenever Activision shuts down the servers, so there's no telling how long I'll be able to play the game before I lose access.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So, if I was to purchase a brand new ps3 and some used games, would they work out of the box plug and play? Or would I need an internet connection along with lengthy system updates? Don't give 2 shits about online multiplayer, just single player games like the God of Wars, Uncharteds, and the Ratchet and Clanks?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They'd work just fine offline, although depending on your OS version, some newer releases might mandate a system update. But such games come with the system update included and you'd be able to go through the process without going online or downloading anything.

Even that isn't likely to occur for you at this point, since you'll be buying a new system with presumably recent software pre-installed on it, with games that in some instances could be almost a decade old at this point.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-06-2016 at 08:13 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I finished reorganizing my gameroom, and tried to install GT6 a couple of days ago. I played GT6 in Germany, but didn't bring my German PS3 with me and had to install it on a new PS3.

I'm having the same problems with GT6 and I think it's outrageous. Here I am, trying to install a game I bought and I can't play it because of some online update mechanics (after downloading 21 updates for 4 hours and installing another hour). I installed GT 5 and it works fine. I find the GT games brilliant and want these games on my consoles.

These constant hardware and software updates are anyway sometimes annoying, but something like this I experienced for the fisrt time.

I'm really worried about the trend to sell games online only, I'm not participating in this nonsense which leaves nothing but really nothing in your hands; and the second troublesome aspect of modern gaming is that consoles become more and more like PCs and entertainment centers.

I LOVED the GameCube. It did nothing else than playing games and it was top notch technology to produce graphics, sound, and gave programmers lots of possibilities. That's all a gamer needs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    I finished reorganizing my gameroom, and tried to install GT6 a couple of days ago. I played GT6 in Germany, but didn't bring my German PS3 with me and had to install it on a new PS3.

I'm having the same problems with GT6 and I think it's outrageous. Here I am, trying to install a game I bought and I can't play it because of some online update mechanics (after downloading 21 updates for 4 hours and installing another hour). I installed GT 5 and it works fine. I find the GT games brilliant and want these games on my consoles.

These constant hardware and software updates are anyway sometimes annoying, but something like this I experienced for the fisrt time.

I'm really worried about the trend to sell games online only, I'm not participating in this nonsense which leaves nothing but really nothing in your hands; and the second troublesome aspect of modern gaming is that consoles become more and more like PCs and entertainment centers.

I LOVED the GameCube. It did nothing else than playing games and it was top notch technology to produce graphics, sound, and gave programmers lots of possibilities. That's all a gamer needs.
    The only way to make the gt6 updates is to download the first six, then disable network, launch gt6 and let it install. Then re enable network and after each single update do the same until 21. The only way it will work and you have to watch it before it finishes another update!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The only way to make the gt6 updates is to download the first six, then disable network, launch gt6 and let it install. Then re enable network and after each single update do the same until 21. The only way it will work and you have to watch it before it finishes another update!!!
    So wait, you're saying to download the first six, go offline, and install those by launching the game? Then go offline, download the next update, go offline, launch and install, and rinse and repeat until finished? Why six updates the first time but only one at a time afterwards?

And what do you mean by "you have to watch it before it finishes another update"? Are you cautioning not to download more than six updates initially and not more than 1 afterwards?

Just got GT6 and will be going through this mess.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-26-2016 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    So wait, you're saying to download the first six, go offline, and install those by launching the game? Then go offline, download the next update, go offline, launch and install, and rinse and repeat until finished? Why six updates the first time not only one at a time afterwards?

And what do you mean by "you have to watch it before it finishes another update"? Are you cautioning not to download more than six updates initially and not more than 1 afterwards?

Just got GT6 and will be going through this mess.
    yup, thats exactly what I said!

http://community.us.playstation.com/.../td-p/44803188

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Wow, Steam is so much better in this way! If you were to have downloaded a game back at launch, let's say it's Team Fortress 2, and then you went 9 years without ever launching the game again, Steam is smart enough to go, "Oh hey, these are the files this guy has, and this is what he's missing. Let's just download what's changed and what's missing and leave it at that." As it handles it intelligently, you only ever have one update waiting for you regardless of how many updates there have been and how big that lot is. And of course, it does all this in the background while you can continue to use your computer to do other things like browse the Web, read e-mails, text chat, voice chat, watch videos, work on things, or, you know, play other computer games.

That's why, starting with the consoles which allow for remote updates for the software, it is always better to get these consoles after all the firmware and software updates for the things have stopped so you don't have any unfortunate surprises. Especially as by that time the homebrew communities have usually cooked up some mighty fine software selections for the consoles by then which enhance the consoles well beyond what the manufacturers intended and give you a smorgasbord of homebrew games to play.

But I can understand not wanting to wait, and I sympathize with your plight.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Video games now should have expiring date on the box. The current trend is to support the game a few months or a year and pull the servers. We all know that the online infrastructure costs a lot of money and the developers can't keep supporting a game with single player game that has online components as a plus, but at least you should be more clear about it.

In the end user license that you agree when you purchase a game or play it online is very clear that the online components and several features could be terminated whenever the publisher wants.

That is the main reason that I don't play too much PS3 now and haven't purchased PS4, the original game experience is only available the first 2 or 6 months of release date quite often, or worst in the case you need to wait for a game to be fixed with a patch distributed online-only and never released on disc and will lose forever when the publisher pulls that patch.

Ports like ZOE HD COLLECTION that were fixed by Hexadrive in a patch will be lost forever. I think that the patched version was released in Japan as "The Best" re-release, but many more just won't have that luck.

Fuck developers and fuck the modern consumer that doesn't care for anything but a very casual experience.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Perhaps the European Union will, like with other recent legislation, pass consumer protection laws that will mandate two years of online support minimum from the time of the game's retail or online purchase. From there, the companies will keep the servers on for us outside of Europe due to the servers already being up. Sound crazy? It's not so crazy sounding when you consider that a recently introduced bill in a European governmental body is looking to require two years of Android operating system updates minimum from the time of the smart phone or tablet's retail purchase. Sadly, I've been searching, and I can't find a link to the story as I can't remember which governmental body it is! (It was like the Dutch or some such.)

Plus consider this: in the bad old days, each cell phone would have a different charging cable with different plug heads and different data cables from one another. Then EU law was changed, forcing companies to have to conform to one single, unified interface/charging plug. Thus micro-USB was chosen and standardized upon in Europe. From there, that decision's effects bled over into the US, where despite it not being in the law books, most cell phones used the micro-USB interface and have for years... excluding Apple's iPhones. At least, that's how it seemed the last time I was looking at the interface ports for most of the tablets and smart phones around here.