Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: 2016 - Yearly Finds Thread

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    FYE is an excellent Godzilla source. I've picked up most of my blu-ray toho collection 2 packs there along with some blu ray one offs like Biolante and the Criteron Collection of the original. I'm one short of the toho collection line up, need the one with space godzilla on it.
    I have most of the Godzillas on very old VHS tapes. I don't intend to replace them, as the weaker fidelity is something I identify with the kaiju experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You know I could see that. I'm just enjoying the really crisp quality of the recovered/cleaned up visuals. Years earlier I had that Godzilla box set that had also Rodan in it, sold it years ago, now for some dumb reason that sole box set people pay a bit for which is odd. They used to run on TV a lot so I never bought much of it.

Another I'd like to see on blu-ray, and I'd buy it if I walked across it at a shop or something would be Ultraman. I loved that one Americanized one that ran in the latter 90s on late Saturday mornings that was what that SNES game was based off of. Ever heard of Bandai Spark Dolls? They made an entire line of them for a few years both Hero and Monster and there are easily over 100 between the two, maybe 150~ not sure. I found a stash of them at the flea market fairly recently here south of town for like $3ea since I bulk bought down from $5. I have 18 of them including 001 Ultraman. They're really cool and well detailed featuring from every TV and movie series or one off.

http://tanooki.byethost16.com/transformers.html The list is thrown onto the bottom of my robot page I made for Transformers and Gobots.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    No pic from me. Haven't been posting much, life has been pretty shitty lately.

As far as finds a few weeks ago i got top gun 2 and roller ball on nes and a game cube and ps2 memory card for $10 from a local book store.

Yesterday i bought a sanyo 32" 1080p TV for $50. Was an old display from work
    *long-distance Internet hug*

Congrats on the Rollerball pickup. It's not an expensive game, but I hold it in high regard because it's the first HAL Laboratory game I've played, and it's a lot of fun. I hope you enjoy it

I got CIB Tenchi Muyo and Bahamut Lagoon SFC in the mail yesterday, and am waiting on a Famicom Sound Museum: Balloon Fight CD and a cart-only Uchuukeibitai SDF to come in. Then there will be pictures. For now... too tired. It's been a long week - and it's only Tuesday!

@eskobar - those are some darn fine pickups, especially the Genesis games!
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 07-19-2016 at 08:02 PM.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Odd thing happened when i tired to play roller ball. My top loader stopped working.
    I was super bummed like what else could go wrong this week.

Come to find out my surge protector had tripped, and a nes AC adapter stopped working that was plugged into it but everything else is OK. What's even stranger is it worked for one game but it must have been coincidence that when i put roller ball in that the surge protector died.

Got loads of nes AC adapters so i just need a new surge protector

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hit a GameXchange store in Longview, TX yesterday. I picked up loose copies of Super Cross Force and Venture (UK version with different labels and logo to the US version) for the Colecovision, and Choplifter! for the Atari 400/800. Super Cross Force was $5.95, Choplifter was $2.95, and Venture was free with their buy 2 get one free sale.

It's been nice to go in a GameXchange store and find something I wanted. I've left empty-handed the last dozen stores I've gone into.

I also think it's weird that I come across so many UK Colecovision carts (they're labeled CBS Electronics) around here. I've found piles of them in the last decade. Why are there so many PAL Coleco games here? I don't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

wow there wasn't ANYTHING for the past 3 weeks. like NOTHING.

then some one at work comes by my department and says his friend has a game system he didn't want. since it was such a drought I figure i'd bite.
    the guy didn't know what he wanted for it all but it was going in the trash so I told him to get some pics from his bud, the end of the day I see them and ask what he wanted for it all and he didn't know it didn't work. so I shot a random offer

$40

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aug 16 finds.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	9590

got the
    TG 16
    Turbo Booster
    A/C Adapter
    2 Controllers
    Victory Run
    Blazing Lazers
    Bloody Wolf

$40 was a low offer but untested dirty and there was some funkiness with the ac adapter, plus it was literally in a trash bag when a friend of mine piped up to the guy that he knew I might buy it. which reminds me I need to kick him some cash for doing that as kind of a "finders fee" hes not expecting that.

the rest in the pic were goodwill finds
    3 vacuum tubes for $1 ea
    Dr. Mario NES Loose for $5
    Hold Up tandy LCD game $1
    Factory Sealed Scotch Magnetic tape $1
    edit:
    oh yea theres a red letter genesis controller in this pic too, it was $2.50

the vacuum tubes were not ordinary, at first glance I thought the 2 little ones could have been nixie tubes but I just took a quick glanced asked for a price and at $1 I would figure it out later and come to find out they are HAM radio tubes.
    the big one is a very old one (mid 40's I could gather) and has a uranium glass plug on the bottom when they sealed the components in. The magnetic reel to reel tape I just grabbed because it was $1 and it was factory sealed, I figure i'll come across some one some day they will be needing some new stuff and might work a trade. the hold up lcd game is in really good shape, no batteries but some one had the foresight to take the old batteries out so its got no signs of leaking in there.

then the drought restarted so the only other thing I found recently was this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aug 16 finds 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	9591

I went to the as-is store and say this neato red case with a handle on the end and the side and though hey that'd make a cool case for my Gameboy systems, cut out some hi density foam rubber and they would be all protected so I just bought it for the case for $5. I knew it had junk inside but I didn't pay attention, the lady ringing me up said it was a camera and I left it at that. get home open it up, size it up for my purpose and so some research on it....

its a collectors piece, for of all things because it was the camera that marty used in back to the future. since I have a nearly whole basic kit I would feel bad about cannibalizing the case for what I was thinking and the camera is kinda cool and I was thinking of gutting it for parts too. i'll have to hunt down some batteries and an ac adapter/charger and i'll have a whole basic kit. there was a portable monitor that went with it as well as a car kit and some other odds n ends.
    maybe some ultra retro nostalgia nerd will wanna trade up in Portland in October
    Last edited by Niku-Sama; 08-06-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

about 2 hours ago I picked up a Sony KV-1393R on the side of the road. its in good looking shape, very clean but I didn't try it. its in "decontamination" in my garage incase there were any creatures living in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Yesterday, a bittersweet day. I was going to a small market on Saturday ... but at the last minute and almost arriving to the market I returned home to work on the fountain that I have almost finished installing to finally get it done.

Everything fine ... and before going for the weekly visit to the grocery store decided to go to that market. Found a PSOne in great condition with screen for 30 usd, a King of Soundtracks por 2 usd brand new. In another spot I noticed 10 NES CIB games ... and had no money to buy them all, they costed 12 usd each: Xenophobe, Indiana Jones Temple Doom (Licensed), Puss n Boots, Robocop, Platoon and don't remember the others..

Purchased Robocop and Xenophobe, the games were almost brand new, and the seller told me a story about a friend that sold him 200 NES CIB games ...

On my way out of the market I spotted a small booth that sold used clothes that had a few NES, DC and N64 games ... I checked them and good stuff, purchased (10 usd each):

Star Trek 25th Ann CIB
    10 yard fight NES CIB
    Tecmo Bowl NES CIB

And that guy told me the real story: he found a lot of 100 games of several consoles and the resellers of that market purchased 40 of them on Saturday morning (the day I decided no to go to this market) and told me about new Zeldas and Castlevanias for the NES among others.

Hehehe, I just can't imagine if there was a hidden gem among that lot, hope it comes out soon a reseller with a few of them
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Killer find on that Turbografx. Even if it doesn't work, it's probably just a flimsy AC cord or something simple; they're super durable. The Turbo Booster alone was worth more than the $40... shit, even the common stuff like Bloody Wolf goes for that much anymore.

That's one big advantage of working in a place with a ton of people. When they know you're big into games, those offers pop up now and then. I haven't had one quite so cool, but I've gotten a few lots that way. Best stuff I scored was when I worked at FuncoLand years and years ago. Stuff that the store wouldn't buy I would sometimes meet up with people and get for cheap. I never did the shady thing and undercut the store's chance to buy, but for stuff like Turbo, Master System, 3DO, etc. that we didn't carry, I'd score some good deals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I want to throw this out there. I had some bitchin finds this weekend, a couple game gear games for $5ea Sonic 1 and Triple Trouble. But it was the non-gaming I'm going to get into here. I came across a full blown large combiner G1 transformer, slightly damaged but I can fix it for a good 25% off market (Computron) which is fantastic.

Now that's not the share, it's these most of the 1989 Applause Nintendo Figurine line of characters. They mostly are SMB1/2 but also 2 from Punchout and 1 (Link) from Zelda 2.

I can clearly see they value around $5-15 a piece open/nice on ebay paid, and blister sealed they can top out for the rarer ones (King Hippo, Little Mac) for $100 amazingly enough. Now here's the challenge, what's the value on a sealed one but with a chopped card back? I ended up with what you see in the attached image. Also I ended up with a 1983 Gottlieb Q-Bert attached to Slick, can't find it new, but a used one was a fastly bought BIN for $25 on ebay.

What value would these have if any with the sealed but removed card backs still there? Does it add even a dollar, or more or are they just pointless and better to remove to enjoy on display? I'd hate to crack them open if it has good reason to stay there but if it adds no or minimal extra I'm throwing the garbage away. If anyone is curious I got them for 2.55/ea~ along with a new Lego set for my kid that was $7 (paid $30 total) which is a steal for any of it.

Attachment 9593
    Last edited by Tanooki; 08-08-2016 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Yesterday, a bittersweet day. I was going to a small market on Saturday ... but at the last minute and almost arriving to the market I returned home to work on the fountain that I have almost finished installing to finally get it done.

Everything fine ... and before going for the weekly visit to the grocery store decided to go to that market. Found a PSOne in great condition with screen for 30 usd, a King of Soundtracks por 2 usd brand new. In another spot I noticed 10 NES CIB games ... and had no money to buy them all, they costed 12 usd each: Xenophobe, Indiana Jones Temple Doom (Licensed), Puss n Boots, Robocop, Platoon and don't remember the others..

Purchased Robocop and Xenophobe, the games were almost brand new, and the seller told me a story about a friend that sold him 200 NES CIB games ...

On my way out of the market I spotted a small booth that sold used clothes that had a few NES, DC and N64 games ... I checked them and good stuff, purchased (10 usd each):

Star Trek 25th Ann CIB
    10 yard fight NES CIB
    Tecmo Bowl NES CIB

And that guy told me the real story: he found a lot of 100 games of several consoles and the resellers of that market purchased 40 of them on Saturday morning (the day I decided no to go to this market) and told me about new Zeldas and Castlevanias for the NES among others.

Hehehe, I just can't imagine if there was a hidden gem among that lot, hope it comes out soon a reseller with a few of them
    ah you shoulda got puss n boots! I loved that game as a kid. I haven't seen it out any where in AGES but it no particularly rare either

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Killer find on that Turbografx. Even if it doesn't work, it's probably just a flimsy AC cord or something simple; they're super durable. The Turbo Booster alone was worth more than the $40... shit, even the common stuff like Bloody Wolf goes for that much anymore.

That's one big advantage of working in a place with a ton of people. When they know you're big into games, those offers pop up now and then. I haven't had one quite so cool, but I've gotten a few lots that way. Best stuff I scored was when I worked at FuncoLand years and years ago. Stuff that the store wouldn't buy I would sometimes meet up with people and get for cheap. I never did the shady thing and undercut the store's chance to buy, but for stuff like Turbo, Master System, 3DO, etc. that we didn't carry, I'd score some good deals.
    I think I found the problem (actually almost positive) but i'll post it in tech and resto when I am done redoing my bathroom, its been eating up a lot of my time lately

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I want to throw this out there. I had some bitchin finds this weekend, a couple game gear games for $5ea Sonic 1 and Triple Trouble. But it was the non-gaming I'm going to get into here. I came across a full blown large combiner G1 transformer, slightly damaged but I can fix it for a good 25% off market (Computron) which is fantastic.

Now that's not the share, it's these most of the 1989 Applause Nintendo Figurine line of characters. They mostly are SMB1/2 but also 2 from Punchout and 1 (Link) from Zelda 2.

I can clearly see they value around $5-15 a piece open/nice on ebay paid, and blister sealed they can top out for the rarer ones (King Hippo, Little Mac) for $100 amazingly enough. Now here's the challenge, what's the value on a sealed one but with a chopped card back? I ended up with what you see in the attached image. Also I ended up with a 1983 Gottlieb Q-Bert attached to Slick, can't find it new, but a used one was a fastly bought BIN for $25 on ebay.

What value would these have if any with the sealed but removed card backs still there? Does it add even a dollar, or more or are they just pointless and better to remove to enjoy on display? I'd hate to crack them open if it has good reason to stay there but if it adds no or minimal extra I'm throwing the garbage away. If anyone is curious I got them for 2.55/ea~ along with a new Lego set for my kid that was $7 (paid $30 total) which is a steal for any of it.

Attachment 9593
    that's a tough one.
    I guess since the cards are cut off in an odd way i'd consider them the same value as a open near mint one.
    in all honesty the open ones aren't going to be any where near any sort of decent condition. I remember as a kid how crappy these things were made

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's exactly why it's tough. One person could say as you did, near mint/mint but open quality pay maybe a few bucks more. Someone else would consider it new, but all the art being gone(damaged) cut away it could be 1/2 the value of a legit full back one or somewhere not much north but more likely south of that. It's just so odd, never seen this really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    ah you shoulda got puss n boots! I loved that game as a kid. I haven't seen it out any where in AGES but it no particularly rare either
    I did it this past weekend. Indiana Jones (licensed) and platoon were already sold. Bought Back to the Future and there are a few CIBs left, Deadly Towers, Super Off Road and Kings of the Beach among others.

Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

yay!

glad it was still there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I haven't been to my formerly favorite thrift store in months, so I dropped by. And there was nothing of interest. So in disappointment, I went to a local store called Game Over and bought a USB Saturn-style controller for my Mac, and a copy of Tunnels of Doom for the Texas Instruments 99/4A. I have a couple of copies already, but I noticed that the cassette tape that was in the baggie with the cartridge wasn't the pack-in tape that you need to load the levels into the computer with, it was a third-party tape by Asgard Software called Doom Games 1. I remember seeing it in a Triton catalog back in the late '80s but not having the money to splurge on it (it would have cost me about four or five hours of pay, roughly a sixth of my paycheck - too rich for my blood back then). It's got four user-created level mods including the one I remember the title from the catalog back in the day, Wild Adventures In K-Mart. I'm glad that I could casually run across this and have the disposable income that I didn't have when it came out to pay $5.99 for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

been kinda MIA lately, been workin on the house getting ready for an appraisal for refinance.

but I did find
    Kung Fu Riders (PS3) $6.50 Open Box
    Turbo (ColecoVision) $2

I just picked up turbo today at a thrift, kung fu riders was a few days ago at a fred meyer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

My dad sure is nice even if I get impatient with him. I was staying in the car at a yard sale since I have a fever but he told me "There's a Saturn" so I got out and yes, a round-button Saturn with the RCA cables, power cord and one controller was there. I paid $13 instead of $15, maybe because the two games that were supposed to come with it (Sega CD games; Dracula and Ground Zero Texas with their cases and manuals) had (mostly GZT, I didn't look at Dracula so much) bitrot. I looked at them with light behind them and saw holes in them though the plastic's still solid. I plugged it in with a disc in it at the sale and the disc spun. I had forgotten to look at the battery compartment though which appears to need a new battery as there's spilled battery acid around it.

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I went flea market shopping yesterday and today, didn't find anything. One place I go to seem to re-price their games higher every time I (rarely) stop by. An Atari 5200 system for $149? An Atari 2600 for $79? A Super Famicom for $99? Every place that has games now goes by eBay pricing and tosses on 20% more it seems like.

I stopped at a closing down Hastings Entertainment store and bought an Intellivision Flashback for $25, originally $50. That was pretty nice to find, I kind of assumed something like that would be sold out. I'd also like to look up instructions on how to wire up those controllers to USB for emulation purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I stopped at a game store today and bought a Taiwanese pirate of Donkey Kong for the Atari 2600. It's a short little cart. I love these kinds of oddball cartridges.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Animerforever05's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

stuff from amazon

stuff from gamestop / walmarts