Thread: The Windows 95 Era: Suggestions on exclusives

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Yeah but we weren't quite given the stipulation that the games had to be for Windows 95 - the stipulation was 1995-2002. I have to admit that I enjoyed 1998-2000 more than I enjoyed 1995-1997 (when the actual W95 OS was in vogue), but this is largely a matter of personal taste.

Also: I did try to play Serious Sam within the past two years or so. I actually didn't find it all that fun...but maybe that's because I don't find mindless shooters quite as fun any more. It's hard to say whether I would have loved it "back in the day."
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

For Windows 95 games I would include anything that was compatible for use on Windows 95, even if other newer operating systems were already out. Plenty of games that came out after Win 95 did but before Win 98 were still made for DOS, I'm sure people will still count those as DOS games.

Even today, most new games are compatible with Windows 7 if not still XP, and Windows 10 is out. Windows 7 is technically two generations back but it's still a current OS.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

And to be fair, it seems like a lot of games that were originally designed specifically for 3.1 or 95 later got updates or ports to other OSes... King's Quest VII later got an MS-DOS port for example, and Lode Runner: the Legend Returns got an updated edition rechristened Lode Runner Online: the Mad Monks' Revenge (which unfortunately undersold because people thought the "Online" part meant you had to play it on the internet, which you don't).

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Wing Commander 4 was released in DOS, but they did put out a Win95 version as an optional patch. http://www.wcnews.com/techsupport.shtml#wc4dostowin
    Wing Commander Prophecy was Win95 native.

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    • Ultima VII. Don't bother with 8 and 9.
    • On that note: Ultima Underworld and Underworld 2.
    Ultima 7 and both Underworlds are DOS, not Win95. So is 8, but as you said, don't bother. Ultima 7 in particular is not something you want to try running unless you know how to get Win95 to reboot into MSDOS 7 and also know how to mess with DOS configuration files. It can be done, I've done it, but you're better off using some of the ways to get it running in modern OSes, which defeats the point of running it in 95, just run it on whatever your main system runs.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

To be honest, I'm kinda with Spoony in that while the Ultimas after part five may have had the best storylines ever, I HATED their interfaces. Just because computers had mice doesn't mean you had to use 'em, guys. how is it that a control scheme that used the entire keyboard was somehow less cumbersome and more intuitive than games that made everything about clicking and dragging?

I actually found Ultima 8 kinda fun, but yeah its not a great game by any means.