Thread: The Windows 95 Era: Suggestions on exclusives

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The Windows 95 Era: Suggestions on exclusives

I recently received an old Dell computer with Windows 95 on it and I'd like to find some games for it. I know a bunch of console ports were released during this era for PC like Resident Evil, Virtua Fighter and such, but I'm mainly interested in Win95 PC exclusive titles from 1995-2002 or so.

These two look interesting; has anyone ever played them?:

Last edited by motley6; 01-04-2016 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Outcast and Nocturne are both enjoyable (I don't think the latter is even on GOG). If you like Nocturne check out the semi sequels based around Blair Witch. They were all fairly ok.

For mindless action, look no further than the criminally forgotten Take No Prisoners.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by motley6 View Post
    i recently received an old dell computer with windows 95 on it
    Dude, you're gettin' a dell!

Couldn't resist that one. It's certainly that era.
    (so there's an all-caps filter here?)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Kind of a stretch as it works on some later OS's increasing more with hacker help, but it came out exclusively in the era as the only Windows 95 version of the 3 games -- Wing Commander Kilrathi Saga -- WC1, 2 and 3 -- and the addon packages for 1+2 are free downloads still easily picked up. Hundreds of hours of fun there between all the games.

I know you don't want console ports, but W95 had a nice version of Earthworm Jim that was pretty hateful on anything once DirectX came out as I think it ran off the old Win32/WinG pre-DX stuff. There were also some Lemmings games exclusively out about that time to that missed consoles.

Wouldn't Diablo 1 qualify for this? It was an early windows game. I also know the sequel to that badass Terminal Velocity title FURY3 came out only for Win95 too and it was loved as well. Sim City 2000 still was best on Win95 though they co-released it with a DOS version for those who didn't move along with the crowd, and it shames any console/handheld version since.

Sorry had to post this --> http://www.geek.com/games/someone-go...a-3ds-1643614/
    Dude gifts the world upon the new year on the 1st, the gift of Windows95 booting onto a New3DS system. It apparently is a little slow to boot like a mid-life PC at the time with it, but once inside it runs fine. Or you can kick the tires like the old day and block W95 from booting and fire up DOS games really nicely. Runs off a mix of dosbox+retroarch. Perhaps you could throw this on there if you have one for your exclusive games on the go.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It depends on what types of games you like to play. If you're into adventure games then there's plenty of titles to play on Windows 95. There's thousands and thousands of games available for the PC so any type of narrowing down would be helpful.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Random game post. I was playing around with 'The Wheel of Time the other Day'. I played it back in the day and remember enjoying it. There is a version on the web to work with modern PC's as well.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

There's an article on HG101 about Nocturne. I found it at a flea market, but never bothered to run it and play it (mood swing). Maybe I should boot it up.