0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

Default Sega Genesis model 2 black screen

As the title says, I'm having some trouble with my Sega Genesis model 2. I recently found it in my garage, along with my controller and AC adapter. I cleaned everything off with disinfect wipes and isopropyl alcohol. However, I couldn't find the AV cables so I bought the Tomee brand cables. They seemed to fit fine but when I tried to play the Genesis on my TV, all I got was a black screen. On my TV, the labels on the screen when you switch to a source (HDMI1, etc.) disappears before showing whatever I have plugged in. The Genesis seems to be able to turn on fine (I don't remember if the light on the Genesis is supposed to be anything other than red when it turns out). I tried cleaning the connection ports on the Genesis with a q-tip and isopropyl alcohol and checking if there was any dust within the pins and I still got the black screen. I also cleaned the cartridge port and the game I was trying (Mortal Kombat II) and it still didn't work. What else can I do to see if it can work? Is my Genesis busted? I would prefer to try and get it repaired if I can instead of buying a new one. Assuming all it is the AV connection, is that easily repairable? Thanks in advance.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Try an rf adapter, any one with the RCA plug on the system side should work. It'll help narrow it down. Could be a number of things

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

It could be a defective cable. I've had similar issues like this in the past with other consoles and aftermarket cables.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

You can always run the audio-out to a stereo or something else to see if the games are booting. If they work you've either got a bad cable, bad video out on the console, or your TV doesn't like the Genny's composite output.

If you've only got one cart to test it with you're kinda in a pickle since you've no way to determine if it's the cart or the console that's defective.
    Last edited by Az; 01-05-2016 at 01:12 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Flamzeron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Try an rf adapter, any one with the RCA plug on the system side should work. It'll help narrow it down. Could be a number of things
    Okay, I'll try that. I couldn't find my original one though, so I may have to buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    It could be a defective cable. I've had similar issues like this in the past with other consoles and aftermarket cables.
    This doesn't surprise me. Is Tomee a good brand?

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    If you've only got one cart to test it with you're kinda in a pickle since you've no way to determine if it's the cart or the console that's defective.
    I have others. I also tried the six pack one that came with my Genesis but it didn't work. I have one of those clone consoles, so I was able to see if my games worked period, which they seem to do. My controller worked as well.

Actually, recently, I found another AC adapter with the same yellow thing on it that the Genesis model 2 has on its AC adapter. Would the AC adapter be an issue? I'll probably try and see, but it would never occur to me that the AC adapter would be a problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I can't speak for their cables, but Tomee knockoff classic controllers are crap. Very thin plastic, very weak, don't last long, and don't handle as well as an original. Back when I got a supaboy v2 through ebay the seller gave a free snes tomee new pad in box with it, and man it sucked bad. I also before that had a USB one that was garbage too but risked it locally for $5 a few years earlier so I can say with time *years apart* they didn't care to improve things.

The AC adapter could maybe be a problem, if you have another just make sure the voltage and +/- setup is a match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

I tried the other AC adapter, but I still had a black screen. The one I was using before was the mk-2103 and the other one had a higher voltage, I think, so it probably isn't meant for my Genesis anyway.

On the subject of these modern knockoffs, which one is the best? Or do they all suck? I try to get the original stuff as much as I can, but some of them are hard to find and if one is the best then I wouldn't mind using them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Quote Originally Posted by Flamzeron View Post
    I tried the other AC adapter, but I still had a black screen. The one I was using before was the mk-2103 and the other one had a higher voltage, I think, so it probably isn't meant for my Genesis anyway.

On the subject of these modern knockoffs, which one is the best? Or do they all suck? I try to get the original stuff as much as I can, but some of them are hard to find and if one is the best then I wouldn't mind using them.
    The 2103 is the correct AC adaptor for the Model 2 Genesis. Just flip your console over, and in the label that has your serial number, right above the serial number gives you the AC adapter to use. I would recommend seeking out the original video cable.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Flamzeron View Post
    On the subject of these modern knockoffs, which one is the best? Or do they all suck?
    Most (all?) of the Genesis clones I tried had sound that was off. I have a Retron3 and the sound on it is extremely off, Streets of Rage 3 sounded absolutely horrible on it. I don't mean an off-key or weird pitch here and there, I mean so bad you are forced to mute the TV to continue playing. The AT Games classic console was even worse, it's so bad a lot of stuff is rendered unrecognizable.

Probably the best Genesis clone I've played that's easily found here in the US was the Super Retro Trio, followed by the RetroGen adapter for SNES, both of which I'm pretty sure use the same GOAC. The sound on those isn't quite perfect and sometimes depending on the game it has particular effects or channels a bit louder than they should be, but even with it's flaws is much better than the Retron3 or several Chinese knockoffs.

If you buy an aftermarket AC adapter be aware that a lot of cheap ones introduce a ton of video interference. Luckily I've never had to buy a model 2/32x/GG adapter, but I've ran into several cheap brands that work for the model 1 & SNES that are useless due to the noise. Model 2 system bundles don't run but around $20-30 so you might be better off just getting a whole new setup rather than hunting down individual parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

I bought an RF adapter off of eBay and it came today. I tried it with my Genesis and I still got the black screen but it looked like my TV picked up whatever signal can be read a lot quicker. The TV even got a darker black screen on it, so I feel like it's really trying to show up on the TV. The listing claimed it was for the model 2 Genesis, but if it makes a difference, my Genesis model number is 1631 and the RF adapter I bought is a 1632. What does this mean for my Genesis? Is it dead? Did I get the wrong thing?

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What channel is the RF switch set to? There should be a setting on it to set which channel to use. Make sure the TV is on the same channel as what the RF switch is set to. That should be the right part by the way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

It was originally set to Ch. 3, but it looked like it wasn't completely in the Ch. 3 area so I tried it again by pushing it back into Ch. 3 and once again while set to Ch. 4. It was the same as before, a quicker, darker black screen. Just for shits, I tried Ch. 3 while my TV on Ch. 4 but it obviously did nothing. I guess I can only dream. lol

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I would try it on another TV if you have one. If not, maybe take it to a friend/family member's house and try on their TV, just to see. If you're trying on a modern HDTV, maybe try an old CRT if you or someone you know has one, just to be sure.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you have working power and a/v cables along with controllers just pick up another console. Bare genesis model 2 consoles only sell for about 10 bucks. Not really worth screwing around with the broken one when a replacement is dirt cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    I would try it on another TV if you have one. If not, maybe take it to a friend/family member's house and try on their TV, just to see. If you're trying on a modern HDTV, maybe try an old CRT if you or someone you know has one, just to be sure.
    I tried it when I got home today with an older TV (one with the glass bulb like screen) and it still is giving me the same thing. When I had the RF thing plugged in, Ch. 3 and 4 had fuzz/static on the screen until I powered on the Genesis. Do this mean anything? It seems like we've exhausted almost every possibility and I'm fearing the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by camarotuner View Post
    If you have working power and a/v cables along with controllers just pick up another console. Bare genesis model 2 consoles only sell for about 10 bucks. Not really worth screwing around with the broken one when a replacement is dirt cheap.
    I might have to, though I'd rather make sure there's no hope of it working or being repaired before getting a new one. It may be nostalgia talking, but I'd really like to be able to use my original Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

A bit of an update. Out of curiosity, I decided to open up my Genesis and take a look at the motherboard. I did notice that the areas around the cartridge slot had some dust on it so I wiped it off with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol. I also rubbed some rubbing alcohol on other dirty spots as well. I looked at the back and some of the metal things looked rusted/corroded over. I'm not sure what the technical term is, but they are like diagonal lines and it looked like only half of the line was rusted. Ultimately, my Genesis still didn't work.

I assume this means it's dead? Like, the only way to fix it would be a reflow or reball of the motherboard?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Corroded diagonal lines sound like damaged and probably broken traces. Unless you want to hunt out every broken trace and jump then with a wire if day it's now just good for parts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

Thanks for all your help, guys! I think I'm just going to buy another Genesis. I was thinking of getting one from DKoldies.com. Are they a good store?