Thread: playing phantasy star 3...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default playing phantasy star 3...

So started a game in phantasy star 3. Not bad so far, most the plot hasn't kicked in yet.

Though the game has a unique use for the debuff of poisoning. In most games you take damage from walking till healed. In PS3, you cant be healed when poisoned, not be an inn or healing items or techniques. Only way is through an anti-poison item, paying for it, or the anti technique, which doesn't always work.

Its annoying as hell, but unique.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Einzelherz's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't get much past the grating battle music to even get into the game, sadly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree with the music. That has also been a road block for me. I keep telling myself I'm going to finish it one day. Hopefully this is the year

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

"Duuuuuuuuuuuu...Bop, bop-bop-bop, bop, bop-bop-bop!"

You mean you guys don't like that shit?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Never listened to the music, been curious about the game though. I had that GBA collection back in the day and oddly never touched it due to all the hate online. I do have to wonder, if the poison removal is so horribly unique like that would it be easier in the field to just drop dead and revive with a life spell/item? Whoever had that brilliant idea hopefully got busted for it as I don't remember something like that in any game I've seen after that period. I recall earlier games had it kind of, but it was either go back to town or certain spells could remove it once you got that far and even those games as they grew knocked that garbage off.

I have a Genesis again I bought a couple months back now or so, been wanting to do a PS game but 2 is so painfully slow and grindy I've avoided it so I've been strongly considering when time allows to grab #4 since it's the most refined (and the last.) I was thinking about PS3 but that junk alone along with some beepy or whatever annoying battle music that's not going to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Phantasy Star III - Battle Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7AbFYuOIaQ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tanooki play PS1 first if you haven't already. Well worth it and it's ages better than 2 in my opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I like the variety of the battle theme. Its the theme in caves and tunnels that's creepy and grating. Playing PS3 in the ps2 sega genesis collection btw.
    Update, got Wren. yay.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

You know, despite all the obvious complaints about the game, I have a real fondness for it. All the music is great except for the afore mentioned battle theme. I got it on the gba collection years ago after not playing it in high school. Admittedly, I was very depressed at the time, but when I listened to intro/title screen music, I cried. It's so beautiful, and I hadn't heard it in so long. I know that's really fucking weird, but that's just my experience with the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the title theme for Phantasy Star II is extremely somber and melancholic; the Dezo world theme as well. In fact, when I play Phantasy Star II (which isn't often) it's usually in the winter; and between it being cold and gloomy in the real world and reading those HORRIBLE, HEARTBREAKING exchanges with the abandoned pets running around out in the snow, it's really a pretty emotional experience.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    tanooki play PS1 first if you haven't already. Well worth it and it's ages better than 2 in my opinion.
    I've played it with 3 attempts before and finished it once. I have owned a SMS twice and had the game both times, and then on the GBA cart back when it came out over a decade ago. PS1 is my favorite. PS2 is behind it, vastly, due to the lousy way the difficulty, overkill encounter rate in dungeons(which are big) occur, and some other junk I don't even recall now so I know I couldn't enjoy it again at my age and probably never would as I'd get fed up pretty quick. I used to enjoy it a lot more back in the later 90s and the story was good stuff too, but still prefer #1. I've lightly researched #3 and #4 (more 3 than 4) and since 4 I never had on cart, in emulator, and wasn't on the GBA package (which was stupid) it's the interest of mine now.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I do have to wonder, if the poison removal is so horribly unique like that would it be easier in the field to just drop dead and revive with a life spell/item? Whoever had that brilliant idea hopefully got busted for it as I don't remember something like that in any game I've seen after that period.
    Maybe not after, but "poison makes healing items not work" used to be a very common rule in RPGs. It started in AD&D if I recall. I can't see why people would find it annoying--if anything its far more forgiving than the usual "take incremental damage until you cure it or die" route. So you can't heal unless you use an item/spell first huh? Okay then!

Also, people who hate the battle music are crazy. It's not the best but it sounds like early-gen Sega Genesis music, its got a unique feel to it. Did you guys hate Valis' soundtrack too? Cuz that's what PSIII reminds me of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Maybe not after, but "poison makes healing items not work" used to be a very common rule in RPGs. It started in AD&D if I recall. I can't see why people would find it annoying--if anything its far more forgiving than the usual "take incremental damage until you cure it or die" route. So you can't heal unless you use an item/spell first huh? Okay then!
    Really, that started in AD&D? Good to know! Its an annoyance, but its interesting. I just hate that the anti and rever techs dont always work, that's kinda silly.

Up to second trip to control tower, near the end of gen 1.

And yeah, PS2 is more of a grinder than DW1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Also, people who hate the battle music are crazy. It's not the best but it sounds like early-gen Sega Genesis music, its got a unique feel to it. Did you guys hate Valis' soundtrack too? Cuz that's what PSIII reminds me of.
    I freaking LOVE everything about Valis (if my screen name doesn't give it away already). Hell, I even love (not like, but 'love') SYD of Valis, but I never got a Valis vibe from Phantasy Star III. The battle music is HORRIBLE.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Finished gen1, deciding on maia or lena to marry. may go for lena for the ending I want.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Thing is, the game really does have some good music in it, but that battle theme is just painful and grating. I guess it could be worse, there could be rapping in it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I bought the game in high school when I started getting into RPGs. I liked the intro but the battle system seemed really bland compared to Shining Force II, which is what I was used to.

I youtubed it right now to hear the music. It's pretty good but yeah, the battle music and effects aren't that great. I love the character designs and story though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlastProcessing402 View Post
    Thing is, the game really does have some good music in it, but that battle theme is just painful and grating. I guess it could be worse, there could be rapping in it.
    Or even worse, the DK64 rap (reworded Phantasy Star style)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Eh, I don't hear what's wrong with the battle music.

Of course it kinda depends on which "battle music" you mean I guess. Since it actually plays different music depending on if you or the enemies have the upper hand. Which is something I thought was awesome in and of itself.