Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Found this Genesis flash cart? on the ATgames website

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That it would but since I have that Retron 5 still, it does that on the fly with real carts which negates that a bit unless I had to buy another game of course.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Save a little more money and get an EverDrive-MD.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It still is one just no firmware updates which I doubt enough would care about. And since only one Sega game used a lame special chip you can use the library unlike SNES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sadly, I very much doubt the Everdrives that brick when updated are genuine. Can't imagine that he would technically cripple any of his multicarts nor can I think of a reason why he would even be tempted to.

If they can't handle getting updated, I'd bet good money that they're imitations and that they fail because they're not a 1:1 copy.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-17-2016 at 04:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Sadly, I very much doubt the Everdrives that brick when updated are genuine. Can't imagine that he would technically cripple any of his multicarts nor can I think of a reason why he would even be tempted to.

If they can't handle getting updated, I'd bet good money that they're imitations and that they fail because they're not a 1:1 copy.
    Krikkz has a deal with junfangames, he sells the chips only they are assembled in china and are not supported or guaranteed by krikzz, mine as worked perfectly for over a year, and feedback on aliexpress was good too. You can buy 3 china version with a cartridge shell, led light, sd slot and sms pause button dor the price of a single everdrive md pcb. Firmware is not the most recent but ita working fine, a good purchase IMO.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It does make sense, perhaps due to weird Chinese shenanigans with imports and other garbage (though they seem to care less about pirate crap going out) maybe it's easier to sell a bag of his custom chips, then the Chinese put them on their own board. In that way the firmware on the old chips could be something he locked due to the contracted deal with that group so they can offer it at a far cheaper price. Which in turn since now aliexpress is a thing unlike a couple years ago that people globally go after it's a way to get the thing on the cheap. The loss is no firmware updates, but seriously, what update could have been made in the last year or two worth a crap that is going to stop a game from running, saving properly, or some other oddball quirk? The Genesis was very vanilla if you think about it, nothing crazy going on like Nintendo with their open ended designs and bag full of special chips that are a complete bitch to emulate and even worse to get a copier cart to work (ie: SNES no SA1, no FX1/2, no SDD1, etc.) Your big deal here is trusting a Chinese company not to jack your info, and waiting on it a month to arrive and hoping it didn't get hosed in the mail.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Krikkz has a deal with junfangames, he sells the chips only they are assembled in china and are not supported or guaranteed by krikzz, mine as worked perfectly for over a year, and feedback on aliexpress was good too.
    Where did you read this though? I still don't understand why if it's legitimate that it won't take updates, but if there's a forum post from the horses mouth, it must be correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    It does make sense
    It doesn't make any sense why they brick if you try to update them, if they're genuine. Even if they're assembling his components rather than him shipping them finished boards, it doesn't make sense why it will only work with the preinstalled firmware and fails if updated.

In that way the firmware on the old chips could be something he locked due to the contracted deal with that group so they can offer it at a far cheaper price.
    It's just firmware. It's not any cheaper because he's using an older version of it or that it's locked to a particular revision. What does he or this Chinese distributor supposedly gain by doing so?

If these are 1:1 and genuine, it should accept updates. Heck, if they fail when updated and are official, I very much doubt he would even allow for an accidental firmware update happening for one of his unsuspecting customers with this batch slated for China. That it not only doesn't accept updates but can actually be bricked by doing so, rather seals the deal on their legitimacy in lieu of a forum post somewhere proving otherwise.

They're cheap copies that aren't 1:1 replicas of the real deal and thus end up ruined when one attempts to update its firmware with an official update. It's the only line of reasoning that makes sense until one of you guys posts something up as evidence to prove me wrong (Which I hope you do if correct; While extremely skeptical, I've been wrong before and if I am here, I'd like to know for sure.).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-18-2016 at 04:19 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Exactly

Where did you read this though? I still don't understand why if it's legitimate that it won't take updates, but if there's a forum post from the horses mouth, it must be correct.
    The only thing I have ever read or heard straight from Krikzz is that AliExpress and any non official retailer, Chinese import shops etc reverse engineered and stole his design WHICH IS WHY they cannot be updated and he has said that buying from and supporting such places literally is stealing from him so it is very odd to be hearing this claim that he sells chips to undercut his own product lol. Until proven otherwise or read an official statement from Krikzz that is my belief.

Besides in Krikzz own forums the boards of genuine Krikzz and the AlliExpress have been compared in images clearly showing cheaper components and shoddy craftsmanship compared to official boards.
    Last edited by OldSchoolGamer; 01-18-2016 at 02:45 AM.
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That's my thinking, too. Thanks for posting what you've seen on his forums concerning these.

It just doesn't make any sense that they're genuine in any way, so I can't say as I'm surprised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

That's my thinking, too. Thanks for posting what you've seen on his forums concerning these.

It just doesn't make any sense that they're genuine in any way, so I can't say as I'm surprised.
    Well damn seems things have changed since I last visited Krikzz forums, regarding junfangames check these threads out

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3236.0

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1674.0

BUT with that in mind Krikzz has said -

1. If you buy from junfangames and your cart will broke, you should send it back to junfangames. I will not repair or replace such carts. So, i provide full software support, but not provide warranty service
    2. junfangames allowed to sell only to China

Meh I will stick to buying from Retrogate or StoneAgeGamer (Though I pretty much got all the Everdrives I want already )
    My DP Refs MaximumRD Classic Gaming and Computing Me in a Nutshell (NOT LITERALLY!) http://about.me/maximumrd
    WHERE DID THEIR HAIR GO?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting, at least that particular seller is legitimate.

It does state however that he provides full software support, even though he only sends them whatever PLD chips are. He also states that the hardware is 100% identical and that they're fully supported at the software end. He even shows a willingness to repair such carts in that one thread despite it not being his responsibility. Seems all quite the contrary to it will be bricked if you update it just because it's their own PCB rather than his.

Seems to rather reinforce that this other source is counterfeit, as I suspected. If true, at least they seem like they must work well.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-18-2016 at 08:12 AM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I believe Krikzz worked out a deal where the Chinese group would produce boards for all his products, in exchange for the rights to sell them exclusively in China. When this began, Krikzz did not have much firmware security, and this group cloned his Everdrive and produced their own. So people began buying cheaply, and they would ship outside of China. Firmware updates would brick those products, as they were not truly Krikzz design. I'm not certain that he's still contracted with them at this time, but his hardware is much more sophisticated, and pretty tough to clone.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Seems interesting alright. I read that too, he sends the necesary chip so it functions, but the Chinese have their own other parts and boards and do it themselves. Maybe the Chinese in some contracted bit of the deal have it clamped down to just run on that firmware. Perhaps something with the preloaded stuff on the memory card they include make it a necessity. Krikzz isn't complaining and seems willing to help if I were to receive an item in the mail though support should be from the Chinese. There's probably more to it than can be said or can be clearly said since neither party does english as a first language so something could be lost in translation. As it is, if firmware is a worry, then don't bother updating it as it won't improve your basic game experience anyway. Take the discount, the free memory card pre-loaded with a crap ton of games by region or don't. Even if you don't want their junk, format the card at a low level and use it for something else.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I read that too, he sends the necesary chip so it functions, but the Chinese have their own other parts and boards and do it themselves.
    Yes, but he also says that...

"Hardware 100% identical, but assembled and tested in China. They all officially supported, incuding N8 and ED64."

So he's saying that even though he isn't sending everything out prefabricated, it's still 100% identical to his design. And his second sentence when he states that they're all officially supported means that carts from this source are fully compatible with his firmware and thus can be reflashed with updates that he releases.

Since nobody has been forthcoming with information to confirm the legitimacy of these other products that are bricked when an update is attempted, I think that all but confirms that this other source is counterfeit like Greg2600 said (At least I believe that's what he meant; The carts sourced through Junfangames are the real deal while alternate supplies such as Aliexpress at the very least, are not).

Chinese companies if they see a demand for something aren't afraid to produce a cheap imitation. At least this other company over there did it right and went through the maker and assembles a product that he states is 100% identical to his own assembled boards.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 01-18-2016 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well whatever it is, it is, and really who gives a crap right? It's far cheaper, it works, and it's loaded with hundreds of ROMs so lazy people won't have to do the work themselves. Seems like a perfect solution given how expensive everdrives can be compared to other devices. I know someone will snark out you pay for quality with a premium, but a lot of people just don't care which is why the chinese piracy racket is strong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I have a ed64PLUS, a nes jack DIY (everdrive n8), megadrive md, and snes everdrive china version. So maybe I got clones or counterfeit everdrives, but they all work perfectly never had a single problem with any of them, they all have old firmware but im ok with it. I didnt know about krikkz story when i bought them, and thought they were the same but only cheaper made from china. Sorry krikkz! But i would never have bought everdrives for 170$+ each. Total cost for all china versions was 240$ usd.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

My understanding when the MD clone first appeared a few years ago was that this was basically a shotgun wedding; the Chinese developer cloned the hardware and was going to sell it with or without anyone's approval. Krikkz basically chose the lesser of two evils, he agreed they would be the "official" distributor of the clone but only sell it in Eastern markets and he would provide no support for it. At least he managed to make a little money by taking that route.

Fast forward a few years, couple the cottage industry of flash-cart selling with sites like Aliexpress making it painless for Westerners to make purchases and the cheaper clones invaded quickly. Which is always a tasty bit of irony... people get all bent out of shape over "pirated" flash-carts. "I want to play my illegal pirated software on a REAL copier, not some cheap imitation!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Which is always a tasty bit of irony... people get all bent out of shape over "pirated" flash-carts. "I want to play my illegal pirated software on a REAL copier, not some cheap imitation!"
    I got nothing really, just really had to quote that because it's very funny and very true. Pirating a pirate, arrr-some. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    laughing robot
    PSN
    second-monkey
    3DS Friend
    0087-3717-4240

Ummmm... I got one of these. Mine came from Aliexpress. Never considered that it would need any kind of update. Works great as is. Didn't know at the time it was pirating someone else's work. I consider it a nice sampler and I seek out the games I think a lot of, and purchase them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HNI_0044.JPG 
Views:	10 
Size:	70.7 KB 
ID:	8416

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

The MD hasn't needed an update in years. In fact most of his Everdrives are functionally fine, I assume even in pirated form.

I have ALWAYS purchased an authentic Krikzz product, either from him, Stone Age Gamer, or another site. If not for folks like me, he wouldn't have been able to develop additional flash carts beyond the first one. Playing on an "official" pirate device has nothing to do with it. A) some Krikzz updates I feel are vital and B) like I said if you don't support the inventor, he won't invent new things.