Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: When & why did you lose interest in modern or current-gen gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I was drawn back into modern(ish) gaming by finding cheap consoles. Bought a PS3 at a used book store for $55, a few days later bought a working 360 in a thrift store under $20. Several months later I ended up buying a PS4 in a flea market for $75 (had to spend $100 to get the HDMI port fixed). To be honest, I like the idea of collecting for those consoles more than actually playing them. I have over 350 games for the PS3 picked up in the past year or so, but I mostly play a handful of games at most. And when it comes to buying PS4 games, I will see something cool looking, then flip it over and look for the "online play optional" notice on the back. If it says it can only be played online it immediately goes back on the shelf. I have to say, I'm pretty impressed with the libraries of the PS3 and PS4. Lots of quirky, niche games. The Xbox consoles seem to only be mainstream stuff, appealing to the knuckle-dragging Madden and Call of Duty playing masses, but I prefer the weirder stuff on the Sony machines. But again, I have no interest in moving up to the next generation of machines. Firstly, there doesn't seem to be anything interesting on the PS5, and secondly, heavy focus on online gaming over single-player. It's not my thing.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I ed at "knuckle dragging Madden and CoD players"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I check these consoles when I buy them and that's all that's on there, that's their entire gaming history. Sports games and war games. I think the 360's previous owner had an online handle like "-X_Darth_Baller_X-". Such cringe. These are the kind of people who cram the word "bro" unironically into every sentence. Just once I'd like to get a second hand console that doesn't have all the lowest common denominator game saves on it. How about a nice tactical game? An RPG maybe? Something mentally taxing for once? No? Sigh.

Insert Coin (Level 0) chiptraxxx's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Think i need to watch some of this guys videos, dont know if it will help though

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pewdiepie.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	10841  

Insert Coin (Level 0) Ostin Powers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I played Cyberpunk and realised that modern games are not made as a work of art but are made for profit only. That is sad. I am used to playing WoW which has no gaming issues at all in my case. I only once or twice got powerlevelling at Skycoach. That is it.
    Last edited by Ostin Powers; 07-05-2021 at 05:17 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ostin Powers View Post
    When I played Cyberpunk and realised that modern games are not made as a work of art but are made for profit only. That is sad.
    To be completely fair, this has always been a problem with gaming.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

When this video came out, it drove the final nail in the modern gaming coffin for me:

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

The gaming industry, I feel, has actually gone backwards in recent years after decades of progress. A lot of the truly unique experiences have gone over to mobile, and playing games that were meant for PC or console on mobile just doesn't work. And then there's online. Single player experiences have been gutted or removed entirely in favor of online. I have zero interest in online gaming and seeing it take over is sad. I guess that they have graphics/sound to a near real-life level now, and online was "what's next" to many gamers, but I just want the game (and preferably, a deep, rich game), my TV, and my controller, not have to get in a contest.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Highwind Dragoon View Post
    When this video came out, it drove the final nail in the modern gaming coffin for me:
    Wow, that's from UrinatingTree, I wasn't expecting to see anything from him again. For anyone not aware, he used to be one of the main original youtube video game reviewers back when the AVGN first started making videos as the Angry Nintendo Nerd. He long stopped making videos about video games so I'm surprised he's still around.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

He (mostly) posts shitpost videos about pro sports and why some on them are declining.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

While I do have new can consoles and plenty of games....i get really really frustrated with having to download all the games on Xbox series x...ps4...etc...i live in a rural area with very slow dal internet and the game patches take FOREVER to download...literally days sometimes...i have more fun with my retro stuff...been spending a lot more time with my snes mini and the turbo grafx 16 mini