At Christmas of 2014 my stepson was wanting one of the new consoles but wasn't sure which one he wanted. When he asked me which one I was interested in, I honestly didn't have any opinion because at the time neither appealed to me at all. After the big digital push I was really taken back that neither was backwards compatible and I still had a ton of 360/PS3 games in my library I hadn't even touched.

Fast forward to December of 2015 and I'm searching through online stores trying to find games on his wish-list and flipping through the latest issues of Game Informer and it dawned on me: I have absolutely zero interest in current-gen machines. Although I had jumped into the last few previous generations a year or two after they launched, I still had a few games on my mind that held my interest and I looked forward to experiencing. Got into the Xbox/PS2 era after about two years but was definitely interested in GTAIII, War of the Monsters, Halo, and a few others. Picked up a used 360 and both Crackdown and Dead Rising looked cool, plus all the new SNK XBLA titles like NGBC & KoF '98:UM were reasons to plunk down the cash.

This gen.... not so much. I can't think of one single title I'm even slightly interested in, and definitely nothing worth the $300 entry fee. The wife bought me a Wii U about two years ago and although everyone complains about it, I can think of at least a dozen solid system-exclusive games for it I own plus I'm picking up a few forgotten Wii games I passed up on. If the Wii U went belly up today I'd still be perfectly content with it.

Hell, I picked up a 3DO a few months ago for the sole purpose of playing Way of the Warrior, so it's not like a console has to have two dozen must-own titles before it appeals to me. Maybe it's that my collection has finally reached critical mass, maybe it's that so much of current-gen is Internet and social-centric, maybe it's the lack of software in genres that appeal to me; whatever the reason I can honestly say that I have reached my threshold and have no need to adopt a new system. PC gaming is not an option on my antiquated 1.3ghz XP desktop, even if my hardware is up to par PC gaming holds no allure to me for a variety of reasons. IMO mobile/tablet gaming is truly pathetic... like designing a system with the U-Force as it's sole input. Games/genres that appeal to me could never be enjoyed due to the rubbish control mechanics.

For those that have also completely bowed out of modern gaming, what generation did you make that decision and what were the factors behind it? Did you find yourself skipping a few years then picking it up later, or strickly sticking to the stuff you already know and love?