Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When & why did you lose interest in modern or current-gen gaming?

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Our only "current-gen" traditional console at this time is the Wii U. Though they're not perfect (region-locking the 3DS still bugs me), Nintendo has, for the most part, kept intact the things that make gaming fun. NCL let its freak flag fly during Iwata's reign (and maybe a little before that with games like Smash 64), and I think that's a good thing in an industry that's become stale. "Safe" annual sports and run-around-and-kill-things games do nothing for me either.

The thing I'm actually most excited about this week is getting a Famicom converter and diving into that rabbit hole (the chance at a physical copy of Balloon Fight for <$10 doesn't hurt).
    Last edited by Sailorneorune; 01-18-2016 at 06:28 AM.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have all the consoles even though it really doesn't make much sense -- I don't have enough time to fully appreciate any of them. I have the money though, they aren't that expensive, and with Xbox Live and PsPlus there's a steady stream of "free" games everywhere. There are indie-style surprises all the time, too!

Because of my time constraints, I'm drawn to handhelds and mobile games. There's so much innovation in mobile, even in the hated "free to play" space, and that's where much of my attention goes. Small, fast, "retro" but new experiences pop up all the time on iOS, which while flawed and limited in some ways, is my platform of choice nowadays.

There are more new game releases in a single week on iOS than most of the "classic" systems got in several years of cartridge manufacturing. Quality ratios are about the same, in my experience. Of course much of it is crap, but that's the way it has always been with any creative endeavor.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

One huge problem for many of us in other countries is the weakness of the local currency and economy.

Today the only game that appeals to me is Bloodborne. I want to play the Uncharted Collection and Uncharted 4 but mostly for curiosity than a huge desire to play them. Mass Effect 4 is a game that I really want to purchase as soon as it comes out, and that's it; I don't remember any other games for PS4.

I don't and have never liked the Xbox, the first one was interesting for the games that SEGA had on development for the DC and were published on the Xbox, but the 360 and One really don't interest me in any way.

I bought Xenoblade Chronicles X and I really want to play a few WiiU games but haven't bought the console and hope to get it this year, but I don't feel much pressure to buy it.

I remember the rush in previous generation when a system came out I wanted it the first day of release and talked about the systems since the day they were announced, not today; I really couldn't care less for the current generation and the push for social media in the consoles and games.

Another important factor is the price of the software and the console. Since I didn't bought the PS4/WiiU when they came out, the Mexican Peso has depreciated more than 40% in just a few weeks and that is another huge hit to my wallet
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    It's tough to say when it started, as many trends over time have been chipping away at me. The rise of western PC-style games over japanese arcade-style games, 3D games almost completely supplanding 2D pixel games outside of indies, online replacing couch gaming, simulation replacing more concise mechanics, and all the patching, DRM, season passes, fees, etc. have all dug varying depths of my interest's grave.

The biggest things, though, have been the push toward digital-only releases, games requiring online patching and DRM to be played or servers they'll drop in two years, games being so massive that they can't help but be filled with filler space to traverse and tedious tasks, and the sameness of new games. Developers make games that all shoot for the same level of realism it seems. Flip through a magazine and everything just kind of looks like it could be in the same game at a glance. It doesn't help that sequels, remakes, and licensed games make up a big part of the scene. I know it's always been that way, but it's one thing to make a sequel to, say Castlevania two years after it's released or when there are two games. It's another to be on the 30th sequel in as many years.

Take all that stuff and stand it up next to the fact that for the cost of a new system, I can get a couple more arcade cabinets and/or some pcbs to play classic games in the style I love, and I really drift away.
    Quote Originally Posted by BetaWolf View Post
    You took the words completely out of my mouth. The dominant style of gameplay completely changed 10 years ago... now it's almost all generic FPSes.
    Third me on that, but all of his post pretty much. I know I went into the price thing, but well money issues that don't die. Placing money out of the equation he nailed it on the head entirely. I get strongly demotivated these days, and the most I have played on a console (PS4) has been remakes other than the 2 Wolfenstein games and Godzilla. I do have Lego the MOvie and Tomb Raider, but they're just conversions as is COD Ghosts(last COD I tolerated.) His first block of text really fits the situation for me, but that second part can make you sick if you think about it too. Taking away your rights paying full price for a long term rental, faux ownership, and front lining that isn't cool or good for the consumer. The DRM nazi tactics, especially be online for a 1p offline experience...what the hell? Nickel and dime every little thing while taking more away, driving creativity to the download, GOG/Steam type places because it's not as profitable or safe. And he's got a point more and more of these PS4/X1 games feel like they're all running the same style, engine, they blend. I don't mind sequels, but 30 in 30 years is overkill. Whatever happened to doing one every 2-3+ years or more like Nintendo used to do with Mario games as we really don't need as many game as years (or more) than a franchise has existed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I haven't completely lost interest -- I'm waiting for Persona 5 to (FINALLY) be released, and plan to eventually pick up a PS4 for Disgaea 5 and Until Dawn, and maybe The Last of Us HD (I have a second-model PS3 that can't actually run The Last of Us without almost immediately triple-beeping and shutting off. Naughty Dog never fixed that issue. ) That'll all be several years from now when things come down in price, though.

I'm also looking forward to playing Life Is Strange, Bioshock Infinite and, perhaps, Rayman Legends on PC.

Still, the DLC/same-art-style/etc issues everyone else complain about definitely don't help matters. There is all of ONE Xbox 360 exclusive I'm interested in (Lost Odyssey), and I'll be years before I run out of games to play...especially with my resurging reading habits.

Edit: Looked at Rayman Legends on Steam, saw UPlay requirement, nope!'d out of there.
    Last edited by TheBenenator; 01-19-2016 at 12:16 PM.
    I hate it when people write their initials on a game cart's label. Can't get it off without ruining part of the label!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I used prime benefits last night, preordered Mega Man Legacy 3DS and Uncharted 4 at a 20% discount plus the no tax/no shipping. I'm choosy but not stupid. Given the savings on those, the shipping on 5 other items I've had so far including those to be, Prime is 1/2 paid for already. If they start adding the few 3DS and PS4 games I'd like i"ll do that too. I see no value in wasting time driving around wasting time, gas, money and effort to get things or waiting for them to plummet on ebay/used shops either with that cut.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The thing that pushes me away from modern gaming more than anything else is simply the way the characters and art styles have changed. I loved the colorful cartoonyness of the old games and promotional illustrations. I loved the old art style, and the fact that it gave my imagination just enough to go one where I could dream up the characters and environments in my head as the pixely characters weren't very detailed.

Games used to look like this-

And now everything looks like this-

It's so boring to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

You like it when a game is like a cartoon, a book, a comic, a fairy tale where there's imagination, uniqueness to the look and feel, where you have to use your mind some to fill in the blanks as old games or those faking being old now don't do on their own. When they cross into some extreme level of closer to reality, or at least a movie theater level presentation of reality, you get detracted from it and the imagination is gone as it filled in all that and kind of blends together like yearly hollywood summer/holiday blockbusters. That about it? If so I do agree quite a bit. You really had to take an old 8/16bit style of game and fill in the imagination gaps, but with a game even as amazing as Uncharted series, Witcher, etc the void is done, it's like sitting in on an Indiana Jones or some Maleficent like motion picture. Also secondarily the modern style of game in that reality comes so close to potential life the wonder is pulled away from it perhaps. And lastly of course you have the obvious issue of creeping up eventually on that whole uncanny valley concept of too close it gets creepy or uncomfortable for many people.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

That's really more of a Western gaming problem than a modern gaming problem. I mostly play games that were developed in Japan, and most still have hand-drawn art. Like if you like Dragon Quest art, stick with the series, it's still got Toriyama designs and looks about the same as ever as far as art style goes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

I still play todays systems (XBONE) (Wii U), but can not stand all this download crap. Plus time is a issue for me also. I find that I can enjoy retro games more with a lot less time spent.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like a lot of people here, modern games are too massive and can be acquired too easily. The backlog would be enormous, plus there is way too much content to cover. Most of my all-time favorites that I still play are classic games that can be finished in either one whole sitting at a maximum of one to two hours, or for ones with save files, a few sittings with a maximum of 6, at most. As much as I've enjoyed games like Final Fantasy 4, 6, and others over the years, they have only managed to get one complete playthrough for me at most. Even with games like FF7 and such, the idea that anyone ever completed these games on their own 20+ times is still mind boggling considering the 40+ hours it took for me to get through them the first time. Nowadays, that's considered short. If anything exceeds this criteria for playtime, it needs to go. Although, I would say, Super Mario RPG still gets the OK when it comes to somewhat long games, and is possibly my all-time favorite JRPG.

I did get a 2DS just for Animal Crossing: New Leaf and the Shinobi 3DS game, but nothing else as games haven't been a priority for me lately. New Leaf is my chillout game, and another exception to games that go on forever. The latter is part of a series I enjoy and very traditional action-arcade fare.

Also my interests shifted. I wanted more variety in intellectual and creative activities, like learning languages, reading literature, and playing music. But games also have their place in exercising my mind like these hobbies do. The development I've made in terms of my comprehension and dexterity has been helped out by both games and all these activities together to train my way of thinking. I've used Kanji Sonomama for DS obsessively and it has really helped me understand and learn the kanji, even being fun. In fact, most of my games lately have been educational software for Nintendo DS like Touch Dictionary or Mabeob Cheonjamun. The latter is a great example of how edutainment can be done right.

As for my favorites, I mostly play my Genesis with the EverDrive cartridge.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

I'll go ahead and apologize for the wall of text to follow. I think I've narrowed down the main reasons of why I won't be doing anything beyond the 360/PS3 generation.

Social connectivity: The shrill screams of an unsupervised 8-year old child grate on my nerves just as much as 420budsmokerdudebro's non-stop verbal masturbation of his K/D ratio. Although I appreciate certain music lovers fanatical dedication and their need to share their latest mix tape over in game chat, their musical tastes are about one degree above beating a hollow log with a human femur. These are all people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire; I wouldn't strike up a conversation with them while browsing the games at Gamestop or any other place, so why the hell would I want to talk to them while I play online? Remove their mic and they're the equivalent of CPU player with erratic patterns. On a general sense I have no need to share with the world everything that's happening during my game and I sure as hell don't care what's going on in others' games. If I was 16 I could appreciate the social aspects of gaming, especially being able to play with friends when you can't physically be with them, but as an adult I play games for the opposite: to get the hell away from people.

Game economics have changed: With a library or collection of games you're fortunate enough to always have something interesting in your backlog. Take what you already own out of the equation and there's not a lot of incentive to pay $60 USD for a title. You're options now are virtually limitless; used games, free to play games, free demos, rentals delivered to your house, <$5 digital purchases, etc. Why pay $15 for a single CoD map pack when I can buy an entire CoD game I don't have for $9? Why pay $60 for a title only to see it drop to $30 before you've even had a chance to get into it? That's not even starting on the endless see of free pirated games.

No time for mediocrity: My two favorite genres are 2D fighters and tournament-style FPS's, both of which are based around competitiveness either against a human or AI opponent. I totally get that you've got to practice, learn the systems and levels, ins and outs, I get it. But I don't have 15+ hours to put into a game just to unlock all the fucking characters. I don't have 15+ hours to unlock all the equipment you require to even begin to play competitively. The barrier in those games should be your familiarity and your skills, not the amount of time invested in them.

I don't get a lot of time to watch movies so when I do it's on a nice TV with a DVD/blu-ray copy and not hunched over a credit-card sized smartphone screen watching a camcorder snuck into a Taiwanese theater. If I've got 2 hours to game tonight I've got a decision to make: either I can go back to a game I know is going to be good, or I can spend 2 hours on something hoping it might be good. I'm no longer a kid that's forced to play shitty NES games because that's all I've got access to. Not to say I expect games to make me shit my pants with excitement at the title screen, I just don't have 20+ hours to put into a single game just to get past to the good part. I've got no time for mediocre experiences.

No software in genres I like: I wouldn't adopt the newest movie format if all they had on it was romantic comedies and Hogan's Heroes, nor would I buy a system that has zero software that appeals to me. No genres I like are represented on the new systems. Genres invented last gen that are now refined on this one, I'm completely content with playing on last gen because they don't hold much appeal to me anyway. Digital retro-releases have plateaued on previous gen and I would say for certainty we won't see levels of support for Virtual Console and it's ilk on this generation as we did the last... which is fine, because I already bought the shit once, and what hasn't been rereleased I have access to on the original hardware anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Social Connectivity - Agreed, too many people you wouldn't push away from a car coming at them, but the real thing, and it was just as much when I was a kid as an adult -- leave me the hell alone, it's a fun escape, I don't need to be followed by annoying pigs and douchebags into my ME time. Go away.

Economics - I see no point in buying new games anymore unless it's in that under 10% I know I would damn well enjoy and replay, like an Uncharted title, God of War, or something maybe Nintendo made that doesn't pale compared to their past works. Games other than NOA ones they either bomb or overproduce upon will drop $10 within a week or a few, double or triple that time figure $20 off, and if the game wasn't super popular it'll be 50% off in about that time. So unless I can get a stupid deal up front, why should I care not to wait? Throw in their economics of selling beta level games with patches, all the forms of microtransactions, and the fact there are still plenty of ownable download or physical games that cost less modern or past the motivation is nearly dead.

Time - I've said it enough, I work 8 hours, then I'm off around 2 or a little later, then my kid is up and you think I can game around that unless she's neck deep in Disney Jr, My Little Pony, Horseland, or the Carebears? NO. She's down at 7 if we're lucky. That leaves me until 11-midnight to do stuff before I want to wind down for bed no later than 1am to be back up at 6am the next day. 5 hours where I need to take care of something, lose a headache, play a game, do Lego stuff, read something, catch a DVR thing from TV or a movie -- and that's if the wife isn't lost in her world wanting to do something (usually watch recordings.) I'm not going to piss the few motivated hours I have left on stupid crap games. I don't care if the media liars and fanboys froth over X game, if I found the truth it's a fanboy pool of kool aid backed high scores, I'm going to be pissed I wasted my time so I don't bother. I'd rather waste a few days researching new and old stuff and finding things I will want to piss my limited time on. Given the time it takes to fire up a PS3/PS4 game, get through the loads, the screens, and the rest it's annoying. Throw in the fact most games now really need you to be at it for an hour or three to feel accomplished or get somewhere I just don't fucking care. I'll fire it up 1 maybe 2x a week and commit a few hours to a game (recently Uncharted 1 on the PS4) to knock it out, but I can't do that daily.

The genre thing you put there, I'll just file that under my lower comments under TIME. Genres of the 2D era are greatly not in favor anymore, hard to find something to enjoy, so you do with what's new and that leaves few options other than the research and finding an old thing to tinker with. Sucks but it's better than just quitting.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I haven't. I play both classic and modern games with equal enthusiasm and find both eras to be satisfying. Why limit myself?

Weeknights, I have about 6-7 hours of free time to game. I don't watch TV. Passive entertainment bores me to tears, so I avoid that when I can. My main forms of entertainment while at home are gaming and surfing the web.

You know, I do a lot of online gaming and I've never encountered idle or annoying chatter from other gamers. Modern consoles give you the ability to hear your friends only, which is the way I always have mine set. If you're not in my friends list and in my party, you're mute. Problem solved.
    Last edited by Damaramu; 01-21-2016 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I still play modern games, but I will say that there is definitely plenty of things you can hate about modern gaming. Let me list a few:

1. The loss of actual "ownership". Don't even get me started with this. People just throwing their ownership rights into the garbage can by leasing (they call it buying) digital games.

2. How many times have you sat down, turned on your modern gaming system, expecting to play your current game that you're playing, but instead your system has to download some firmware thing, or needs some patch, and then 15 minutes later you're finally actually playing ?

3. microtransaction bullshit and other sleazyness... (remember when cheat codes were free ? )

4. needing to have an online connection for things to work right.

5. system link being killed in favor of online only crap

6. Games that don't include a legit single player campaign. (basically the slow death of the single player game)

Having said all of that, I think it's a huge mistake to just say that all modern gaming is garbage and not participate at all in modern gaming. Now, I can understand the systems being too expensive, but at a certain point, it's a good idea to try out some of this modern stuff... I'm actually more interested in VR than anything else, although I have to admit that I've never tried VR and I might hate it after trying it. I have no idea if it will work for me or not, but it sounds super interesting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Celerystalker pretty much nailed it. I'm not totally out of modern gaming, but I find myself more excited learning about a new old game these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yeah he is but WCP compartmentalizes all the problems nicely with that checklist. Everything there makes me mad when I experience it.

That said yesterday I got lucky and found Destiny for PS4, Legendary Edition at a use store for $15, the codes were out in the open and no one stole them and the old owner didn't bother either...score. I did it just because my 2 nephews got a PS4 thanks to me helping them late last year selling their old stuff off on ebay and they're enjoying it. I figured I could friend list the two and I could always have a party to be in so I'm not screwed by the bad design that makes single player after going so far into it an actual impossibility (or near so, having to grind lame crap for dozens of hours just so you're overpowered enough to maybe make it which no sane person would do.)

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I still do modern gaming stuff. Mostly pc but i have a Wii u and ps3 and plan on getting a ps4 to but for select games. I like most of the Nintendo stuff but the same goes for all modern and PCs, a lot of it is just not appealing to me. There's a lot, lllooootttt, of uninteresting stuff.

I'm on base with the physical copy crowd, unless it's 5 bucks and under it better have a disc or something. If rather spend money on old games i was always interested in and never got to play though instead of buying new. Every once in a while there's a new game i just have to have. I really want just cause 3 but i haven't been able to find any physical pc copies and the division looks rather interesting too. Those are pc play games though.

Lately, unless i already own copies I've been doing free to play on pc. Warframe and Unreal Tournament...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Yeah he is but WCP compartmentalizes all the problems nicely with that checklist. Everything there makes me mad when I experience it.
    Allow me to share the anecdote that shows the most angry I've ever been with modern gaming.

I played Mass Effect, found it fun despite its flaws, so when Dragon Age Origins came out, I picked up on sale about a month after it came out, hoping for something similar. It wasn't, but that's not what got me.

Fairly early in the game, an NPC approached me and asked me to do some quest to get ghosts out of his family tower. I was like, sure, I'll do your quest, chose accept. An XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up asking for $9.99 to buy the side quest. The game literally shipped with an on disc NPC DLC Salesman. I was furious. I shut the game off and never played it again, eventually trading it.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Allow me to share the anecdote that shows the most angry I've ever been with modern gaming.

I played Mass Effect, found it fun despite its flaws, so when Dragon Age Origins came out, I picked up on sale about a month after it came out, hoping for something similar. It wasn't, but that's not what got me.

Fairly early in the game, an NPC approached me and asked me to do some quest to get ghosts out of his family tower. I was like, sure, I'll do your quest, chose accept. An XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up asking for $9.99 to buy the side quest. The game literally shipped with an on disc NPC DLC Salesman. I was furious. I shut the game off and never played it again, eventually trading it.
    Wow, that's tacky!