Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: When & why did you lose interest in modern or current-gen gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Allow me to share the anecdote that shows the most angry I've ever been with modern gaming.

I played Mass Effect, found it fun despite its flaws, so when Dragon Age Origins came out, I picked up on sale about a month after it came out, hoping for something similar. It wasn't, but that's not what got me.

Fairly early in the game, an NPC approached me and asked me to do some quest to get ghosts out of his family tower. I was like, sure, I'll do your quest, chose accept. An XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up asking for $9.99 to buy the side quest. The game literally shipped with an on disc NPC DLC Salesman. I was furious. I shut the game off and never played it again, eventually trading it.
    Dude, I know of that one, and you're one in a LONG line of complaints I've seen on that one. I think I was on NintendoAge at the time and people bitched. I saw bitching on Facebook which I rarely use, and also I think someone here and on Racketboy complained too. Bitchin' everywhere. Every one of them said nearly the same line -- shipped with a DLC salesman, didn't include all the game on the disc, fark EA, etc. The sheep who were fine being their wallet microspanked either shut up or defended it as 'options' but really, nagging someone to buy and acting innocent like it's part of the game is sleazy beyond all shitty forms of DLC, including capcom shipping SF4 with on disc DLC. I never bought Dragon Age ANYTHING because of that crap I saw. I didn't trust EA but wanted to see, then I didn't even bother once the damn games went GOTY with all the nags out since it was included. I see no reason to ever reward a company pulling that crap even after the fact.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post

I'm on base with the physical copy crowd, unless it's 5 bucks and under it better have a disc or something..

My cutoff point is like $7.99. I don't mind leasing games at $7.99 or less. At that point, I consider it like a long term rental with certain stipulations that can be pulled out from under me at any time. I'll buy digital games for $7.99 or less, because at that point, it's basically disposable, and I can live with not actually having ownership.

The funny thing is tho... tons of people really think they own a collection of digital games. I just don't see it that way. They own a collection of leases and long-term rentals, with various stipulations... If you can't sell something, you don't own it.

I've come to the realization that if something costs $7.99 or less, I'm willing to throw my ownership rights into the garbage can, for the sake of convenience...

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'm a huge Playstation fan and think it's the greatest console ever made with such quality software with the N64 as the perfect secondary console over all other gens with such a huge difference in software, PS2 was worse, but certain genres were better. PS3 was worse than PS2, but again, certain genres on PS3 were better than PS2 because of the technology. With PS4 though, it seems that it's starting to get a solid library quicker than the PS3 and the Japanese are starting to support the west again with how many titles are being localized. Imo while the PS4 doesn't seem to have a chance to touch the original Playstation as of yet, the system looks well on its way to be the PS2.5, so read on and I'll explain.

On the PS4, already there are the noticeable dominating genres, the same ones on the PS3. Every first person shooter, just about everything third person outside of platformers, and racing. On the PS4 there's either more quality for these genres or it's going to have more quality. Where Playstation 4 is lacking, but so far is picking up, is in RPGs but it's the side scrolling and 3D platformers that the PS4 doesn't seem to be making much headway in.

Imo, the PS4 has far more quality content worth picking up than the PS3 did in the same time frame. Between what it currently has and what it's getting, there's a lot of potential for the PS4 to surpass the PS2, and imo it seems well on its way.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    My cutoff point is like $7.99. I don't mind leasing games at $7.99 or less. At that point, I consider it like a long term rental with certain stipulations that can be pulled out from under me at any time. I'll buy digital games for $7.99 or less, because at that point, it's basically disposable, and I can live with not actually having ownership.

The funny thing is tho... tons of people really think they own a collection of digital games. I just don't see it that way. They own a collection of leases and long-term rentals, with various stipulations... If you can't sell something, you don't own it.

I've come to the realization that if something costs $7.99 or less, I'm willing to throw my ownership rights into the garbage can, for the sake of convenience...

That's entirely the problem right there. The industry has coached a bunch of lemmings to believe when they click the BUY button they're buying and therefore own something. They know that 99% of people aren't going to read an EULA or any other agreement into an online purchase agreement (PSN, XBL, Steam, etc.) I've seen enough people get pissed off when a game gets pulled they said they bought (which means they owned) on various console maker or mobile platforms and even Steam too (like TOS violaters being d-bags on the forums being kicked out of their accounts.) It can be anything that happens, even being a dick to someone and you lose $100s in purchases. Be a dick to someone playing a physical game, you still own it, unless they kick your ass and steal it. I think that $7.99 makes sense, that really is around my cap though usually I cut it off at $5. The only exception Iv'e made is the 50% off sales on full seasons of Pinball Arcade because I'll easily get $15 in quarters out of the tables vs $5/ea($50) or $30 pack for no bonus. Square games on mobile when 1/2 off are $7.99.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Allow me to share the anecdote that shows the most angry I've ever been with modern gaming.

I played Mass Effect, found it fun despite its flaws, so when Dragon Age Origins came out, I picked up on sale about a month after it came out, hoping for something similar. It wasn't, but that's not what got me.

Fairly early in the game, an NPC approached me and asked me to do some quest to get ghosts out of his family tower. I was like, sure, I'll do your quest, chose accept. An XBL Marketplace purchase content window popped up asking for $9.99 to buy the side quest. The game literally shipped with an on disc NPC DLC Salesman. I was furious. I shut the game off and never played it again, eventually trading it.
    Because of hearing about this, I didn't purchase it until the GotY edition. I would recommend picking it up again if you can find the GotY edition for cheap. You have three choices though, you have the PS3 version which has very bad framerate throughout the game, the 360 version which doesn't have the DLC on disc, and the PC version which has the DLC on disc but you're still required to use a code in order to use the DLC. Amazing game though.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 01-23-2016 at 07:33 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Randomly decided I wanted to play some Dark Souls II and kill some invaders... try to log on and PS3 requires a system update.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah that was slimey. Still love Dragon Age mind you, but that DLC merchant was some serious bullshit. But I also feel like DA came out around the time developers were still testing their limits on how tolerant/receptive consumers would be of DLC sales tactics. Luckily that one bombed hard.

Edit: Also fuck EA and what they've done to Bioware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dgdgagdae

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

Would you say the same thing about GOG, which is DRM free? I can back it up and install it at any time, even if they go bankrupt tomorrow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wouldn't which is why I talk them up because you can make physical copies so I'd pay a bit more on there since I'm essentially the disc, USB stick, etc manufacturer of sorts and so on. They are in a league of their own since you own it not rent/lease it with the soft lie of buying it.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

i havent lost interest i just cant afford it haha. plenty of great games even for old school gamers and some of the visuals and new innovation out there is quite impressive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I realized I became obsolete in the modern gaming demographic shortly after realizing many of my favorite game companies either stopped existing or stopped producing worthwhile games. Of them all, I found the closure of Free Radical Design to be the most troubling. This is a company who's flagship series is a parody of FPS games (TimeSplitters). What kind of world do we live in where FPS is the king of all gaming genres and the quintessential goofball FPS series is left to rot?

Today, the only game company I like that is still producing worthwhile games is Nintendo. I have a Wii U and a 3DS. Sure, I don't play them a whole lot, but I like voting for Nintendo's quality games with my wallet. I don't have a PS4 or Xbone and don't plan to in the future. There wasn't much I liked to play on the PS3 and 360 either, just the occasional couch co-op game.

And then I discovered all the different gaming platforms of old that I missed out on. Why struggle to find quality in modern gaming when we have decades of gaming goodness to explore through?
    Last edited by Guntz; 01-25-2016 at 09:39 PM.

Come join us on Micro-64

Insert Coin (Level 0) Flamzeron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Flamzeron
    PSN
    Flamzeron
    Steam
    Flamzeron

I'm not completely out of modern gaming, but these days I do feel like I have a personal obligation to either built or restore my retro game collection. Despite growing up during the SNES days, I feel like there were games I missed out on, primarily due to not knowing about them. I've done well with keeping up with my modern game collection and "PS2 era" game collection, but I've been trying to rebuild my NES collection, to which I'm still looking for all the pieces in my house.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've had a PS4 since March 2014 and I still prolly own only 5 games for it. I play my Wii U all the time tho. I can't say I've lost interest in modern gen consoles, there's just not much I'm interested in. I do want to get Batman Arkham Knight tho, cuz its Batman, and Street Fighter 5, but really there's sooo much older stuff I never played that's way more interesting. I lost interest really cuz it's all reboots of older games, or yet another Final Fantasy or yet another sequel to some major franchise. Little Big Planet 3 and Rayman Legends r worth playing tho. Really some gorgeous platformers.

I am still a fan of the PS2 and Xbox tho. There's dozens upon dozens of great games of every genre to play. I've been enjoying collecting the Sega exclusives for the Xbox, which r mostly Dreamcast leftovers like Gunvalkyrie. And the PS2 still had a great selection of platformers and loads of unique games like Katamari or Ico. And I'm discovering a nice selection of shmups on the PS2. So I'll defend those systems cuz they really are great and cheap to collect for.

It's not so much the machines that turn me off, it's just the lack of anything original. The machines r great. They've only gotten bigger and better over time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

I lost interest in most gaming in 2011-2012 when I found I was overdoing it which caused depression. (That's not the only reason, back then in me there was no caring of anyone or anything in numerous ways. Gaming wasn't helping...) I wasn't working on anything to get finances (still living with parents) and gaming was a dead end not teaching me life.

Since then there have been very few games I've been interested in, the only one I really liked by in large in the last few years is Undertale (for the Mercy route) and that's a computer game which looks like something from Super NES. Though I did play The Sims (1, 2 and 3) and Minecraft a bit, many games (E.G. beat/shoot 'em ups) are of no interest to me anymore due to their violent nature.

- Austin
    Last edited by Slate; 01-27-2016 at 07:02 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Pretty much, everyone has stated 99% of the stuff I was going to say (no true ownership, DLC, all the online crap that goes with it).

So all I can add is this:

A year or two ago, I considered getting a PS3 for Metal Gear Solid 4, or else Devil May Cry 4. The lowest prices I could find on even a used model was like $140, and I needed to make sure it had the right side of internal hard disk because I knew I'd want to probably rent some digital games or buy some DLC, especially if I ever got Megaman 9 or 10 which I wanted...

.... then I realized no one system would cover all the games I wanted. The Wii had some light gun games I thought were interesting, while the X-Box 360 was the exclusive home of a few games I liked the sound of. No effing way was I considering buying all three consoles though.

Then later on, I thought about building a new, modern PC so that I could enjoy certain modern titles (namely indie horror games).... but again, the price of parts was a huge issue, especially as any individual component would break me for an entire month, and I had just as many games on systems I already owned which I wanted to play.

In essence, the cost in dollars wasn't justified enough by the end result. Yeah I might be passing up one good game that a thousand-dollar computer would enable me to play, but when that frees up a thousand dollars I could instead use rebuilding my collection of older games and getting some of those "wanted to play but never bought" titles, or acquiring trophies like say an Eidos trapezoid box game, then why do I care that I never got to play the latest COD? And as for those indie horror titles, I can just as easily watch them played by someone like Markiplier, Pewdiepie, or Mangaminx.

That itself is kind of sad.... this laptop isn't capable of running the actual games, but its perfectly capable of running a video OF the games. That just shows you how much increase in technology is a joke, right there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

When I was a kid and growing up I was lucky enough to always get the latest and greatest system on my birthday or christmas. But after the Dreamcast I started to get Jaded. The arcade style games and platformers that I loved started to fall out of fashion. A few years after that the industry as a whole seemed to get bloated and focus on realistic and gritty games. Lots of the vibrant games and imaginative level designs that i really identified with seemed far and few between.

I got a 360 years ago specifically for Virtua Fighter 5 and Bullet Witch and love those games to death. Then my game 360 library slowly grew from that to like 50+ games. Most of them i was marginally interested in or it was a good price, but overall there were only a handful of games that I REALLY loved on the 360. Nothing on the PS3 really interested me and both my brother and parents had a Wii so i didn't need to buy one.

These days 99% of the PS4 and Xbone games I want to play come out on the PC. I have absolutely ZERO reason to buy either of those systems. For some reason I started really looking at the Wii U and just before black Friday I made a list of every game that REALLY interested me and came up with like 10+ games that were exclusive to the system. I talked myself into buying a Wii U and have been loving it ever since. I just really like imaginative and colorful games. It also really reminds me of the Sega Saturn when it was current. There is no flood of games to keep buying and feeling like I need to rush through so I don't have a giant backlog of games. I can really take my time with the games and play, enjoy and appreciate them. The big hit games have been spaced out several months apart which is great for me!

As long as Nintendo is still in then race then I will still be clinging to current gen games.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I remember when the concept of "online gaming" was a foreign one. if you wanted to play multiplayer you had to get people in the same room. Slowly this evolved as technology improved. Which was fine, multiplayer in concept is awesome and playing against live people is always more fun than the computer. BUT then came the point where people playing online took it WAY more seriously that I did. So I'd try to play a game and unless I dedicated all my free time to practice I'd generally get my butt handed to me on a platter. Making matters worse, game companies started catering most games to online play and further pushed the envelope with online games only. Toss in the DLC add-ons and it just stopped being fun. I started with an Atari 2600 and for years it was plop a cart in and play. Which turned into plop a cd in and play. When it started getting, at least in my opinion, overly complicated for no reason, eh the fun wore off.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Another thought I wanted to add here: Gaming has, lately, started to feel a little elitist to me.

I mean think about some of the things we've been complaining about, such as DRM and DLC. What those have in common (besides being three-letter acronyms that begin with "D") is that both also, in most cases, involve an internet connection--usually a fast one. Indeed companies seem to operate on the assumption that all gamers everywhere have uber-fast internet connections with absolutely no bandwidth limits or restrictions whatsoever.

On top of that, they're also assuming your average gamer has the cash to plop down on $400 consoles which really need $1000 televisions to work well. Lots of people I know are still using standard def TVs (most of the time when I even see an HDTV its serving a dual-purpose, such as doubling as a computer monitor).

In other words, increasingly I've been getting the message that gaming companies cater to upper-class rich kids who happen to live in urban environments. If you're more middle or lower class or don't live in a place blessed by the magical internet fairies, then well fuck you, they don't want your business. Which basically alienates a lot of people who would otherwise be interested but actually don't have the probability. It says a lot that these companies think the impetus is on their customers to buy a new freaking house and move to enjoy their games rather than being on themselves to make said games more accessible, and I can't wait until the crash comes that kicks these elitist assholes in the butt.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I skipped out on the 32-bit/64-bit era and finally came back to gaming with the Sega Dreamcast. Sonic, Resident Evil, and Shenmue were must haves for me at the time. But then PS2 came out and very quickly Sega announced it was over for the Dreamcast.

I later bought a PS2 and got Ominusha which was awesome. I don't think I bought any other games for it. Just rented some familiar titles like Castlevania but it really didni't feel like a vampire killing period piece. I tried Devil May Cry and it also felt pretty boring and aimless. Then there was a Greek mythology-inspired game-same problem: fully explorable 3D world, but nothing worth exploring. So I hung it up. Plus, I felt that the games were too much of a time investment. RE:CV would take hours upon hours to make any progress. As much as I loved Omnimusha a combination of subsequent boring rentals and interest in other things got me to hang up my controller for good.

I did want to get back into it with Sega's Yakuza, which looked like Shenmue mixed with GTA but it seems like new systems are always around the corner and the price tag is not really worth it for me.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts

I bowed out of modern gaming during the 360/PS3 era because the games were getting way too complicated and fewer and fewer games were coming out that genuinely made me want to have in front of my eyeballs. I prefer the xartoonish look of old games and rudimentary 3D games. Pixel art games. I was drawn back into modern gaming with Shovel Knight and now the Switch has a ton of indie retro looking games so I am lured back into "modern" games now to an extent. I think for the most part a lot of games are trying too hard to look and feel like real life and if I wanted to experience real life I would just go outside