Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Game of the Day 1/15/2016: Industrial Spy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160119_161352.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	8418As per Emperor Megas' request, here's a separate game of the day topic. So, how about Industrial Spy for the Sega Dreamcast?

It's an oddball strategy espionage game in which you send a team of usually three agents into various businesses, museums, etc. in order to steal info, protect artwork, or other corporate dirty work. There are several characters with tons of attributes such as hacking, combat, stealth, and tons more, so you can tailor your team to the job. You never directly control your agents, but rather switch through a split screen like a security camera feed, focusing in on the character of choice, who is controlled much like a character in a point and click adventure. After each mission, you get points to spend on upgrading and customizing your agents.

I first bought this as one of my early import games on the system under it's japanese title, Espion-Age-Nts. It was cumbersome to navigate all of the kanji menus, which changed every stage, as much of the menus relate to room or area names in each level. I stumbled on the US version when a customer at the FuncoLand I worked at at the turn of the century traded it in, so I bought it when I got off that night. Later, I was surprised to stumble across the official strategy guide, which I couldn't believe existed.

Anybody play this? It was pretty unique, and an odd NEC release in a time when they didn't do much on consoles. I like it, but it is a little sluggish by modern standards. It's one of few games I wouldn't mind seeing revisited and tweaked a little.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-19-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never heard of this game, which is weird because I was a regular in a very active Dreamcast forum during it's heyday. I'll have to hunt this game down if it's cheap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like these Game of the Day posts. But I don't recall ever reading or hearing about this game, Industrial Spy! I just watched a bit of a YT video showing its gameplay.