Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Game of the Day 1/19/2016: Brain Lord

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160119_161302.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	8417The SNES has quite a few well-made overhead action/adventure games, and Brain Lord seems to be one of the less-remembered. As the internet discovered Terranigma, the likes of Brain Lord faded even further from the limelight.

I really, truly liked the game a lot, though. With a name like Brain Lord, you'd expect puzzles, and it definitely delivers those. However, the game also has nice graphics and music coupled with satisfying control and combat that easily hang with the other, more popular games of the style. It was one that sat in my backlog from about 1999 until 2013, and even without the help of nostalgia, it won me over with some decent puzzles and a neat little universe.

So, played all of Quintet's stuff? Beaten A Link to the Past so much that it feels like speed running? Brain Lord wants attention. Anybody love/hate the game?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-19-2016 at 04:18 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I've never heard of Brain Lord, or at least I don't remember any game with that name. But that's one of the great things about doing a daily retro title posts, learning about new or forgotten games. I'll have to do some youtube searching now.

BTW, f you don't mind another teeny suggestion for your daily retro feature topics; adding a screen shot or box art image to the first posts would be pretty sweet.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I've never heard of Brain Lord, or at least I don't remember any game with that name. But that's one of the great things about doing a daily retro title posts, learning about new or forgotten games. I'll have to do some youtube searching now.

BTW, f you don't mind another teeny suggestion for your daily retro feature topics; adding a screen shot or box art image to the first posts would be pretty sweet.
    Well, since you're an emperor... photos of each game have been added to their respective posts. I don't have a capture device with which to do screens, but I could probably be coerced into taking pics of the backs of the boxes (provided I have the box) or take some actual photos of the TV screen, but they may not do the graphics justice. I can do it when I get a few minutes after my son goes to bed if it'd make folks happy. Admittedly, the stuff I posted in import mania was way more thorough, but I think I put more effort in there since that stuff is pretty obscure. I'll try and keep improving these threads.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-19-2016 at 05:02 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I've heard of this game but never seen or played. When I see the Enix label on an SFC box, what's inside tends to be pretty good. I still have Dark Half and Slapstick on my shelf to even try out, and I didn't know this one was another that may require my attention at some point. So far Tenchi Souzou is my favourite with Star Ocean really close beside it. (I'm mixing Quartet with Tri-Ace, oh well)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Slapstick... I played through the US version. Robotrek was fun. Sure, the battle system was a bit clunky, but it worked well enough, and the game didn't drag on at all. I personally like Illusion of Gaia over Tenchi Souzo, but they're both great, as is SoulBlazer. Enix's SNES stuff was gold, regardless of developer. Love me some Ogre Battle.

Brain Lord has a feel not unlike SoulBlazer for its combat. I held off playing it for so long, expecting its focus to be more on puzzles than adventure, but it's really not. The puzzles are largely pretty organic, and don't feel shoehorned in just to be different. It's more stuff like figuring out how to traverse a room or solving a logic puzzle to open a door than riddles or overt brain teasers, and only one or two were kind of obtuse.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I might have this game, if I do i'll pop it in tomorrow, I has the day off!
    plus I might call in soon, got a bunch of personal/sick saved up

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Can't wait to try it. I'm more than half-way through act raiser right now and as soon as that's done I'll be sure to fire up SB. It seems to have that early 90s snes look and sound that really endears me to that first year or two of the system. The later years didn't hook me as much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Brain Lord has one of the best SNES OSTs ever. It's so awesome, aurally.

I think the game's a bit underrated in the gameplay department. There's some really nice puzzles in this one.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

It's rare that a SNES game actually tests my mental mettle. Brain Lord is one of the few to do so.

I'm not sure I like the little familiars/companion thingies that follow you around but they're fairly harmless, and I did have a lot of fun with this game. This is one of those that I discovered via Emulators and later went on to own an actual cartridge of.... though actually, now I can't remember if I actually own a cart or if I just borrowed it from a friend.... that's how much this game hurt my brain via overexertion.

Also I always laughed at how the intro mentioned Dragon Warriors. In my head-canon Erdrick must exist in this world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    It's rare that a SNES game actually tests my mental mettle. Brain Lord is one of the few to do so.

I'm not sure I like the little familiars/companion thingies that follow you around but they're fairly harmless, and I did have a lot of fun with this game. This is one of those that I discovered via Emulators and later went on to own an actual cartridge of.... though actually, now I can't remember if I actually own a cart or if I just borrowed it from a friend.... that's how much this game hurt my brain via overexertion.

Also I always laughed at how the intro mentioned Dragon Warriors. In my head-canon Erdrick must exist in this world.
    That last part about Erdrick made me giggle.

There are a couple of puzzles that make you think sideways or do a little math, which I kinda dug. It was way more creative than just some sprawling maze with a key hunt.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I like this one. I mean it's not my favorite snes game or anything, but it's well made and entertaining. Wish I could contribute more, but I don't remember much about the game otherwise. :/

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played Brainlord six months ago after having it on my shelves for years. I was positively surprised too. The level design is good, combat mechanics and control are well done too, and the puzzles are indeed challenging. I have to admit that I referred a couple of times to YouTube when I got stuck, I was just too impatient.

Great game, worthwhile having and playing.