Thread: Classic gaming with the right hand on the controls makes the difference

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default Classic gaming with the right hand on the controls makes the difference

If you are right handed and got used to playing with your right hand on the arcade stick back in the classic games days, you'll possibly know what I mean when I say the late 80s transition to left hand joysticks/d-pads was an exercise in a certain amount of frustration.

The reason behind the industry change had to do with how video games were evolving. It was related to the complexity of what you needed to concentrate on when it comes to the games' action buttons versus the game's directionals (dumbed-down in the ever popular platformers genre in comparison to the high-accuracy positioning being done in a 2nd gen game like Centipede or Missile Command).

... it was either that, or evil left-handed elites conspired to ensure their dominance on the high score boards.

Well, I've pondered on how to make leftie joysticks of the NES, Sega, and Sony generations of gaming turn into right-handers on classic systems such as the Atari 2600 and 7800 and came up with a quite simple solution. I made a presentation that I thought might interest some of you here, so check it out and let me know what you think:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGUFRtBVYU4
    Last edited by ave1; 01-21-2016 at 02:12 PM. Reason: additional content needed