Thread: PSP Local Multiplayer Games - Which Ones Offer Official One-Copy for Group Play Support?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Question PSP Local Multiplayer Games - Which Ones Offer Official One-Copy for Group Play Support?

Admittedly, I don't know much about PSP multiplayer having played little to no multiplayer on the console. So please forgive my lack of knowledge about the topic and its terminology. But are there any games which officially support playing a game with multiple players, locally, with a single copy of the game? I'm thinking like the Nintendo DS's single card download play option, but obviously with one PSP UMD or download instead of everyone being required to have one copy per console. And if there are any games that support this option, what are they, and what are the steps for playing multiplayer this way? Is there some convenient list online of most or all of the games with this capability?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I would be interested in this info. also

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering how easy it is to mod a PSP these days, the answer may as well be "all of them".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I was actually going through all my PSP stuff last night. I haven't played it in probably 3 years and decided to get reacquainted with my PSP collection. I was surprised to see that Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament boasts about this on the back of the box. I was unaware that any PSP games did this and as far as I know this is the only one I have seen.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Thanks, Wraith Storm. I did not know that Steambot Chronicles ("Bumpy Trot" in Japan) supported this feature on the PSP. Finally, vindication!

I've been meaning to get Steambot Chronicles for years. Now that I have 2 PlayStation 2's (one of which is fully functional... unlike the first one which I got that could only read CD's) and your post reminded me of it, I'm going to eventually track down a copy of Steambot Chronicles. However, seeing the crazy prices on the PS2 version ($40 for disc-only used, $90 for new) I'm probably going to either wait until the price is more reasonable or pick up a copy of the PSP version which runs for the much more tolerable price of $20.

EDIT: Now I understand. Steambot Chronicles was never ported from the PS2. So Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament is not a port, but it is a spin-off of Steambot Chronicles. There was a Steambot Chronicles 2, but it was cancelled in 2011. However, there was another spin-off called Blokus Portable: Steambot Championship which originally got a PS2 release which we in America did not get, but we did get the later PSP re-release of it... with "Americanized" box art, which probably contributed to its poor sales (seriously, you can pick up a copy on Amazon.com for $0.01 for new copies). Plus, just like Steambot Chronicles: Battle Tournament, Blokus Portable: Steambot Championship also has a wireless, ad-hoc "game sharing" mode for PSP. Thus there are at least two games for the PSP which support game sharing, those two being these Steambot games.

But I have a question: how important is playing through Steambot 1 to enjoying these spin-off games? Is it more along the lines of you'll enjoy these more if you played the original, but it is in no way required to get 97%+ enjoyment outta them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    Thanks, Wraith Storm. I did not know that Steambot Chronicles ("Bumpy Trot" in Japan) supported this feature on the PSP. Finally, vindication!
    But I have a question: how important is playing through Steambot 1 to enjoying these spin-off games? Is it more along the lines of you'll enjoy these more if you played the original, but it is in no way required to get 97%+ enjoyment outta them?
    No problem. It was funny because I just discovered this the night before last and then I saw your thread. Perfect timing... .

I have both the PS2 and PSP Steambot games. Honestly though I have never played more than an hour into either one. They both seem like really charming games but they are pretty far down on my backlog, so I'm not sure if they really connect in any big way or not. Hopefully someone else can answer this.
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?