Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Game of the Day 1/24/2016: Grid Runner

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160121_232032.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	80.0 KB 
ID:	8433I know some folks here saw this one all over the clearance racks in the late '90s, looked at its stupid, generic cover art, and never thought about it again. If so... hey, me too!

Grid Runner for Saturn or PS1 is a competitive game of capture the flag combined with tag. Perhaps most easily compared to Trap Gunner, the game is played head to head split screen, and each player attempts to touch each of the arena's flags, which changes them to his/her color, before being tagged by the other player. If tagged, the other player begins touching them, undoing your hard work toward their end. Make them all your color to win the match.

You do have weapons and abilities, which do things like slow your opponent down (or neutral enemy hazards), teleport, or build bridges to get across gaps. Games are fun and fast, and very reminiscent of playing Trap Gunner or SNES Mario Kart battle mode in pacing and fun.

I was shocked to discover how much I liked this one, and have had some fun little battle nights with friends with it. Remember seeing it around? Buy it for a buck for a spare Saturn case? Actually play it and have memories?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, I own this. I'm pretty sure that I purchased sealed lots of his game along with a bunch of sealed sports game just for the cases, which I changed the funky cases of games I actually cared about out with years ago. I kept at least one copy of this game, but I've never played it. Hell, I never even looked at the back of the case or thought about what it was about until now.

You're doing an awesome job with the retro game of the day topics. I've actually learned quite a bit so far.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Thanks! Glad some people are having fun with it, 'cause I like to talk about old games. I like hearing other peoples' stories about games, too.

It doesn't get so much traffic, but I like doing a similar thing in the Import Maina sub forum as well I've been posting for the last 18 months or so, but mostly on less-documented stuff. I'm no wordsmith, but I do love talking imports as well if you get into that scene.

http://forum.digitpress.com/forum/sh...mented-imports
    Last edited by celerystalker; 01-25-2016 at 01:27 AM.