Thread: Wii U Blue and Red Game Cases

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default Wii U Blue and Red Game Cases

Does anyone know why some of the Wii U games come in red cases instead of blue?

I can't find much information online. I found a thread at Game FAQS discussing Mario Kart 8 and it seems to have been the first title to come in red. There are several other games like Super Mario 3D World and Mario Party 10 that I have seen come in both blue and red cases. It seems to be only first party titles that have this variant. All third party games are strictly blue from what I have seen.

Are the red cases maybe first production run and blue cases are subsequent production runs? I would assume there is something to it, or maybe Nintendo just got a surplus of red cases and are packaging games in them at random?
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You really don't know? It's a theme thing since red is the color associated with Mario.

If there are blue case variants, it's indeed a later production run as seen when New Super Mario Bros. Wii was reprinted a couple of years ago with a white case in place of the original red.

In addition to red and blue, New Super Luigi U uses a green case and Super Mario Maker uses a yellow case. And New Super Mario Bros. U just shipped in a plain blue case unlike subsequent Wii U Mario releases.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-03-2016 at 05:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Cool! Thanks for the info. I assumed there was something to it but I couldn't find any solid info on it. What you explained totally makes sense though.

Although Mario maker comes in a yellow box containing an art/idea booklet, the game itself is in a red case.

Damn... this is going to make me anal now. . So far I have been lucky and all of my Mario games are in red cases but now i'm gonna have to insure my future purchases match.

Thanks again for the info Leo_A!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

They started re-packing existing titles in red too such as the various Mario titles on 3DS that first came in a white box. NSMB2 and MK7 I have in red as I got them used last year again, but when I first had them they were white.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith Storm View Post
    Although Mario maker comes in a yellow box containing an art/idea booklet, the game itself is in a red case.
    Are you sure?

I don't own it yet, but a search through Google Images for pictures of the contents in the Super Mario Maker box as I prepared that message seemed to show a yellow case.

Edit: I looked again and it seems as if I saw the European version.

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Dogi99
    PSN
    Segata-S

Legend of Kay comes in a white case and M rated games in Japan come in black cases.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

I bought mario maker the day it launched and it came in a red case, and 3d world came in a blue case day one too.