Name:	20160209_200038.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	8491Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160209_195912.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	8492
    Usually, if people were to think of video games based on Marvel's Punisher, they probably either think of the violent Xbox/PS2 game or Capcom's awesome arcade game that got ported to the Genesis. However, in spite of the horror AVGN fans might display in over the top fashion, the LJN published NES Punisher game is actually pretty fun in its own right.

I mean, this might not be Garth Ennis' gritty reinvisioning of the character, but it is still very much the punisher taking down thugs and supervillains in cold blood with bullets. It's a cursor shooter in a style not entirely unlike Cabal or 'Nam 1975, but with a larger, less mobile player character who compensates with a generous life bar. Enemies pop up and run across scrolling shooting gallery stages that remind me of Gotcha!, with henchmen and thugs shooting at you with increasing intensity as the game progresses. There are powerups such as extra clips, body armor, rocket launchers, heavy machine guns, etc. that you get from killing enemies and destroying scenery, as much of the backgrounds are destructible, and bonus stages that can be found by blowing open manholes, subways, and more, which are teeming with goodies. You can also collect copies of the Daily Bugle, which offer hints and tips.

You choose from several cases, and at the end of each you'll have a one on one boss fight with prominent members of the Punisher's rogues' gallery like Jigsaw. Kill them, and a nice bleeding RIP appears over their portrait. Neat! Then, choose your next hit.

I truly enjoy the Punisher, both from fondness for the character and execution of the game. Sure, the enemy sprites are a little drab and the music is sparse, but the backgrounds convey a cool nighttime atmosphere and the game pulls no punches as to what the Punisher does. These cursor shooters are also basically extinct now, lost forever to the clicking of mice. It's a fun silver age throwback with arcade sensibilities and fair challenge.

Have you killed a crime boss in 8 bits lately?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-09-2016 at 10:54 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

I actually tried playing this game a few weeks back with a few friends. emphasis on tried.

this is one of those games that just doesn't seem to lend it self well to moving a cursor with a d pad
    I just couldn't get into it, and I can get into some pretty crappy games

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I actually tried playing this game a few weeks back with a few friends. emphasis on tried.

this is one of those games that just doesn't seem to lend it self well to moving a cursor with a d pad
    I just couldn't get into it, and I can get into some pretty crappy games
    I can see where it might get frustrating, as your main character sprite is a huge target and doesn't move quickly like you would in 'Nam 1975 or Cabal, so you're just going to take hits. However, the life bar is pretty fair, I think, and health powerups are pretty plentiful. It is annoying to have to stand there and take hits sometimes, as I do prefer to play with some finesse when possible, and it just isn't in the Punisher, but I still enjoyed it myself.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Awesome!!

I am a big PUNISHER fan though the fan in me has not had a chance to play many of the Punisher games ..

I like Punisher purely based on Marvel's Punisher though..I just never gave the games a chance ..I've yet to even have a chance to watch the various movies made also ..

NES Punisher game....That I still have boxed sealed away in my collection..

Great Topic..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Game sucks, have had it twice before. It should have been a real run and gun or a true light gun title. He moves far too slow left and right and movement is tied to gun firing which is a waste if I remember right, and it's almost impossible ot avoid getting shot up when more than a couple bullet trails are on screen. Sure it has a large life bar, because bad design dictates you'll get hit, A LOT. Shame too, awesome franchise wasted.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't fault the movement and cursor being intertwined, as it was just a style at the time, whether it was 'Nam 1975, Wild Guns, or Cabal. You can't do pinpoint evasion for sure, but you can minimize damage with good timing and positioning. Still, people who don't like it are entirely justified to like what they want. I do think it's better than it's being called out for here, and I did play through it again last night before I posted, just to make sure it held up to my memories. I mean, the Capcom beat 'em up is inarguably better, but I find this to be a perfectly enjoyable cursor shooter.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I don't fault the movement and cursor being intertwined, as it was just a style at the time, whether it was 'Nam 1975, Wild Guns, or Cabal. You can't do pinpoint evasion for sure, but you can minimize damage with good timing and positioning. Still, people who don't like it are entirely justified to like what they want. I do think it's better than it's being called out for here, and I did play through it again last night before I posted, just to make sure it held up to my memories. I mean, the Capcom beat 'em up is inarguably better, but I find this to be a perfectly enjoyable cursor shooter.
    I'm with you. I rented this game multiple times from the video store in town. One of my favorite NES games. Never read a Punisher comic or watched a Punisher movie, so I had no familiarity with the character going in and still don't to this day. Love this title, though.

Getting to choose which stage you start on and being able to shoot up pretty much every bit of scenery on the screen were both nice touches. Great choice for Game of the Day!