Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uncomplicated Strat/Rpgs(Turn-Based)?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Uncomplicated Strat/Rpgs(Turn-Based)?

Shining Force is one of my alltime favorite games and a true classic. And it's a mash of genres I'm not really fond of. Rpgs and strategy games. Boring to me, for the most part. This game and a few others grabbed me though. Vandal Hearts is another that was memorable and addicting. They didn't overcomplicate shit with the battle systems and whatnot, while still remaining fun.

Can't stand the FF Tactics games or all those Disgea things. Too overwhelming for me.

I've been interested in Jeanne de Arc, Arc the Lad, and Saiyuki and thought about picking them up on psn. Are these games more simplistic in nature or do they need faqs to be studied? Any other recommendations?
    Last edited by FieryReign; 02-11-2016 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Try an English translated version of Treasure Hunter G for SNES. Awesome little strategy turn based RPG that's one of my favorites.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Dragon Force really simplifies things, and is really fun. I also love Ogre Battle. It can be played using its complex systems in order to get the best endings, but you can also chuck all that out the window and have a great time plowing through it not caring about alignment.

I don't know if there's an english patch, but I had a blast with Langrisser Milennium on Dreamcast, which has a very streamlined system as well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've played through Arc the Lad 1 and 2 and I don't recall them being too complicated. I think Vanguard Bandits was pretty simple too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd recommend Advance Wars. Just ignore the battle ratings and it can get super simple (big tanks pulverize most stuff).

If you are a perv, there is also Sengoku Rance.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Shining Force is one of my alltime favorite games and a true classic. And it's a mash of genres I'm not really fond of. Rpgs and strategy games. Boring to me, for the most part. This game and a few others grabbed me though. Vandal Hearts is another that was memorable and addicting. They didn't overcomplicate shit with the battle systems and whatnot, while still remaining fun.

Can't stand the FF Tactics games or all those Disgea things. Too overwhelming for me.

I've been interested in Jeanne de Arc, Arc the Lad, and Saiyuki and thought about picking them up on psn. Are these games more simplistic in nature or do they need faqs to be studied? Any other recommendations?
    I'm not a big fan of strategy games either, but Shining Force is one of my favorite titles. I also loved Vandal Hearts but hate FFT and it's various clones. With that in mind you'd probably love Ard the Lad (especially 2). If you're not opposed to fan translated games, also check out Just Breed. It plays eeriely like Shining Force despite being an NES title from Enix.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

If you have a Turbografx or are willing to emulate, try out Military Madness, which supposedly is the inspiration for Advance Wars (I've played MM but not AW).

There's also a Playstation version called Nectaris: Military Madness, but I'm not sure if its the same game or not.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    If you have a Turbografx or are willing to emulate, try out Military Madness, which supposedly is the inspiration for Advance Wars (I've played MM but not AW).

There's also a Playstation version called Nectaris: Military Madness, but I'm not sure if its the same game or not.
    The PlayStation version has all the levels from the TG16 game and a bunch more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't remember Military Madness (TG16 or Windows 9X version) being complicated, but also the old original Ogre Battle isn't either. I'm awful at these games as scripted AI just messes with me when you can't make any good decision, just the right one the coder wanted, and throwing in only indirect commands and no direct fire control is a bad combo.

I would say though if you did Ogre Battle there's a badass PDF online of the Atlus made PS1 copy cat of the game guide online. I've got the original but found out about it because of that PDF. Sure it's a cheat, but if you only use it if you get stuck, or if a lot of the stupid technical crap is over your head, it makes it understandable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    I also love Ogre Battle. It can be played using its complex systems in order to get the best endings, but you can also chuck all that out the window and have a great time plowing through it not caring about alignment.
    I bought the SNES version of Ogre Battle last year but haven't played it yet due to fear it may be overly complicated. I do intend to play it one of these days and your post is leaning me toward sooner rather than later (since you said it can also be played plowing through).

Never been a strategy RPG guy so this genre can overwhelm me personally. I did love Shining Force though!

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Same here, like I said find a PDF of that guide Atlus did for the straight SNES port to PS1. It will help a lot especially if you're no good at this style of game, and he's right you're not forced to deal with alignment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have a physical guide for Ogre Battle. Think it's the one by Prima.

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I have a physical guide for Ogre Battle. Think it's the one by Prima.
    I have that one. However, I know from reading RVGFanatic that you love you some magazines, and Nintendo Power did a bunch of great strategy features on it in Epic Center. If I remember right, the issue with Tetris Attack on the cover had one on how to get the most evil ending, and the... maybe Stargate? issue had another detailed one. I'll have to double check.

I didn't play it for years after I got Ogre Battle, as it looked overwhelming. However, I played through the japanese Neo Geo Pocket Color game first, as that was an excuse to ignore all of the micromanaging options and just play, and I fell in love with the actual gameplay, which made me way more receptive to understanding the deeper stuff later in english, as the "how to play" was second nature by then. If you ignore all of the alignment and reputation stuff and just beef up your favorite units to hammer your enemies, you'll find a super fun play, and you'll probably want to explore its systems a little by the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have that one. However, I know from reading RVGFanatic that you love you some magazines, and Nintendo Power did a bunch of great strategy features on it in Epic Center. If I remember right, the issue with Tetris Attack on the cover had one on how to get the most evil ending, and the... maybe Stargate? issue had another detailed one. I'll have to double check.

I didn't play it for years after I got Ogre Battle, as it looked overwhelming. However, I played through the japanese Neo Geo Pocket Color game first, as that was an excuse to ignore all of the micromanaging options and just play, and I fell in love with the actual gameplay, which made me way more receptive to understanding the deeper stuff later in english, as the "how to play" was second nature by then. If you ignore all of the alignment and reputation stuff and just beef up your favorite units to hammer your enemies, you'll find a super fun play, and you'll probably want to explore its systems a little by the end.
    Sweet, thanks for the tips! And yeah I have those NP issues so I'll be sure to dig them up.

On a side note, how are these SNES strategy RPGs?

Front Mission
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Tactics Ogre
    Gemfire
    Romance Kingdom series
    Uncharted Waters: New Horizons (if it counts)

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Gemfire
    Romance Kingdom series
    IIRC Uncharted Waters is sort of like Pirates but more RPG-ish.

Gemfire and Romance are practically the same, just one is in a fantasy kingdom and the other is in ancient China. The first few Romance games look complicated but actually aren't. They probably get more complicated around part four but I can't say for sure. I do know the PS2 installments are practically unplayable, but the 16-bit ones should be fine.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    The first few Romance games look complicated but actually aren't. They probably get more complicated around part four but I can't say for sure. I do know the PS2 installments are practically unplayable
    This made me laugh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is that good Ogre Battle guide -- http://www.amazon.com/Ogre-Battle-Of.../dp/0761512241 Runs $20-25 shipped on ebay in good shape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Sweet, thanks for the tips! And yeah I have those NP issues so I'll be sure to dig them up.

On a side note, how are these SNES strategy RPGs?

Front Mission
    Bahamut Lagoon
    Tactics Ogre
    Gemfire
    Romance Kingdom series
    Well, I do have all of those except Uncharted Waters, where I only have the first one on NES, so...

Bahamut Lagoon-has the most JRPG elements of all of these. I only played it in Japanese, and it was difficult, as you have to feed your dragons different items in order to advance them, and you can feed them stuff you meant to equip. Still, if youenglish patch it on a Power Pak or Everdrive, you'll play something that feels more like a Square Soft take on Shining Force. The combat isn't complicated, but the dragon development is where you spend your time in menus.

Tactics Ogre-has a super complex system for classes and leveling skills by using them in battle, as well as tons of modifiers for character adjacencies, class, terrain type, and elevation, not to mention equipment. Like Final Fantasy Tactics, you can spend forever in menus between battles. I love the aesthetics of the game, but it just demands a lot more micro-managing than I care to do myself.

Front Mission-It's pretty playable even in Japanese, and the combat moves pretty well. Its complexity lies in how you choose to outfit your mechs, as they have several different frames and dozens of different parts for each piece and weapon. A lot of the strategy involves bringing in a good payload and optomizing it with postioning for terrain and position bonuses. One of my good friends adores the series, but he also loves tinkering with ACs in Armored Core for hours on end. If you enjoy tinkering with robots like an old-school Battletech nut, it's amazing, but if not, you'd probably find it dull. I prefer the more action oriented Gun Hazard.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms-These are pure strategy and politics sims. The planning is much more critical than the combat itself, as the quality and loyalty of the officers mean more than the number of troops assigned to each. You need the correct units for the terrain, enough money to keep them paid, enough food to keep them fed for as long as it takes, and it'll help if you're allied with neighboring territories in order to keep them out of it or at least on your side. There is a sense of urgency to combat, as you have to finish before you run out of supplies. These games, though, are menu on top of menu on top of menu, and require a high level of patience in order to complete, as victory hinges more on turning each conquered city into a prosperous, loyal economy that can provide for you conquests moreso than your tactical prowess in battle. Super slow paced.

Gemfire is much like Romance, but it simplifies a few things, and is closer to Ghengis Khan in that it's just a tad simpler in every aspect, but it's the same concept. Same with Liberty or Death.

Uncharted Waters-has more of an RPG feel than strategy, as it's really more of a trade and exploration sim than strategy game. You travel the globe, trading resources to sell from port to port where they're more desirable, and pay a crew to man your ship. It's extremely open-ended, but is much more focused on historic sea travel and economics than any strategy.

Hope that helps!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Bahamut Lagoon-has the most JRPG elements of all of these. I only played it in Japanese, and it was difficult, as you have to feed your dragons different items in order to advance them, and you can feed them stuff you meant to equip. Still, if youenglish patch it on a Power Pak or Everdrive, you'll play something that feels more like a Square Soft take on Shining Force. The combat isn't complicated, but the dragon development is where you spend your time in menus.
    If you do use a flashcart, I think you have to watch out as there were two versions of the patch. One hardware compatible and another that took advantage of inaccuracies in older emulators for a speed-up feature, I think. (like, they knew even then it was incompatible but released both versions since flashcarts didn't exist and the only way to play on hardware was old copiers that relatively few people had)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Tactics Ogre-has a super complex system for classes and leveling skills by using them in battle, as well as tons of modifiers for character adjacencies, class, terrain type, and elevation, not to mention equipment. Like Final Fantasy Tactics, you can spend forever in menus between battles. I love the aesthetics of the game, but it just demands a lot more micro-managing than I care to do myself.
    IIRC, the guy who made Tactics Ogre was actually the same guy who made FF Tactics, so I would imagine if you didn't like one then you won't like the other.

I'd check for confirmation tho, as I've never played either of them.