Name:	20160213_020301.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	8507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160213_014955.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	8508
    Time Slip for the SNES is a game I've not seen in most of my friends' collections, and they usually don't want to try it after looking at its sticker art and title screen. However, I've found that by sticking with it and giving it an earnest chance, it's one of the better run 'n guns available on the system. So first, the bad...

Most people are immediately put off by the cover, title screen, and cinemas, which are all very much in the European style. The color palette in these is dark and the portraits less detailed than the Japanese style, with more simplistic, almost '90s cartoon flavor about them. The in-game graphics are similarly Euro-style, with less shading and detail, although the larger bosses do look pretty great. It doesn't take advantage of any of the SNES' big tricks like Mode 7 or scaling, and the music is nothing to write home about. Couple that with a high difficulty and no continues, and this probably sounds like garbage. But, seriously, wait!

I can't explain away the cutscene style choices. They're so European because the game was actually developed in Europe, so it's just gonna have some of those design sensibilities. However, the play control is excellent. You move at a very reasonable pace in relation to the enemies, hazards, and platforming expectations, so it feels pretty good right off the bat from a control standpoint. You can upgrade your firepower by picking up bullet icons, which will at level 4 turn into a nice spread weapon. You automatically have rapid fire, and enemies are not bullet sponges-you can dispatch regular enemies quite easily, and bosses are rather reasonable as well. You also can pick up limited use sub-weapons that generally set off a damaging explosion at short range, which you can cycle through with the shoulder buttons.

The big thing that makes a huge difference, though, is that the Y button lets you fire while moving, whereas A causes you to plant you feet and fire. If you didn't have the manual, you might mistake them as the same function, not realizing what a difference the A button makes, especially in the horizontal shooter levels where you fly on a hover bike, and A locks your turret in a direction allowing you to move and fire independently.

There are only five levels of modest length, so although the no continue thing is rough, the game is still pretty doable, and when you get hit, it's usually your fault (save the falling fireballs in stage 2. Screw those things). If you stick with it, Time Slip becomes a fun challenge, and stabilizing time with Dr. Victor Gilgamesh to stop the Tiamatians from taking over is a load of fun. It's no Contra III, but if Contra and Turrican had a baby that was raised well by the BitMap Brothers, this is probably what you'd get, and it's pretty damn fun.

Played it? Hated its difficulty? Liked its boss fights?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 02-13-2016 at 10:41 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

For some reason I thought this was a pinball game. What the hell am I thinking of?

That screencap basically makes me wish I had this game tho. That looks like one awesome boss fight.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    For some reason I thought this was a pinball game. What the hell am I thinking of?

That screencap basically makes me wish I had this game tho. That looks like one awesome boss fight.
    Maybe Time Cruise on Turbografx?

The boss fights are a high point for Time Slip. Each level has a couple of solid mini bosses and a big boss fight at the end, and that screen was from the level 2 main boss, who you fight in the mouth of a volcano in the Cretacious period. It's pretty neat!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Maybe Time Cruise on Turbografx?

The boss fights are a high point for Time Slip. Each level has a couple of solid mini bosses and a big boss fight at the end, and that screen was from the level 2 main boss, who you fight in the mouth of a volcano in the Cretacious period. It's pretty neat!
    I never continue arcade style games, so not having continues doesn't bother me. I've NEVER heard of this game, BTW. And the label is terribly off putting.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

One of my earliest reviews on my site RVGFanatic, TimeSlip is a damn tough game. I have to Game Genie it up in order to see levels 3 onward. It could have been solid but the insane difficulty will put off most gamers. It's got some neat designs that few will ever see unless they use the GG.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I never continue arcade style games, so not having continues doesn't bother me. I've NEVER heard of this game, BTW. And the label is terribly off putting.
    I agree. If I hadn't had a chance to look at the back of the scanned box at the store where I bought it, I'd have never given it a second thought most likely. I happened to be in the mood for a run 'n gun that day, and it was cheap, so I rolled the dice.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I remember seeing this for sale way back when. Even though it looked like it could have been right up my alley (I noticed how similar it looked to Contra III when looking at the back of the box), something told me to stay away from it.

I finally picked up a copy in late 2014. It's better than I thought it would be, but the difficulty level near ruins it. If I had bought it back then, I guarantee it would have been traded away within a few months.

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have good memories of trying to fumble through this one with my brother at my side. Hard is an understatement. It's a pretty neat game, though.

If/when I get the Famicom port issues worked out in my Retron 5 (not looking forward to the phone call to Hyperkin, but that's a story for another time), I may give it another go with cheat codes.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sailorneorune View Post
    If/when I get the Famicom port issues worked out in my Retron 5, I may give it another go with cheat codes.
    Wait, why would a Famicom port affect your ability to play SNES games?