Name:	20160218_034224.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	8517Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160218_033419.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	8518
    As a video game enthusiast, you likely have a lot of games. Some because they're just amazing, some because you were bored and had money to burn... and then there are your originals... the games you had as a kid or when the hobby was new to you, whether they're your actual originals or ones you've replaced. Either way, they're the games you had when you didn't have hundreds or thousands of others, and you played them to death, because who knew when you'd get another. For me, one of those was Kabuki Quantum Fighter for the NES.

I remember vividly paying $30 in combined allowance and birthday money shortly after I'd turned 11 at my local Wal-Mart, as it was one of the few that looked interesting in my price range. It looked like a cool futuristic platformer, so I grabbed it and fired it up. And I died. A lot.

Kabuki Quantum Fighter is a platform action game that immediately calls to mind Sunsoft's Batman or Vice: Project Doom. It is a dark, gritty game with bizarre characters and enemies where the main character's spirit is projected into a computer, and due to his genetic lineage, manifests as a kabuki warrior who prefers to attack by swinging his hair like a headbanger. The graphics are imaginitive and quite detailed, making whatever acid trip created this world really feel cohesive. The music is also quite good and fitting to the area designs, and the distinctive boss track leaves no question as to whether or not it's time to rumble.

Aside from your hair whip, you can kick when hanging from handles on platforms, punch while crouching, and after each stage, you gain a new secondary weapon that you use by spending chips, which are occasionally dropped by downed enemies. These are vital in a few spots in late stages, and are immensely helpful against the bosses, who are wildly varied in size, design, and attack patterns.

The game is short at only 5 main stages and a final boss fight, but it does feature cool story scenes in between. The levels are all of modest size, but they are great about the occasional difficult route options, which nearly always have nice rewards like 1-ups or large health refills.

I played the hell out of this game as a kid, and I sat down to play it tonight just to be as fresh as possible before discussing it, and I still cleared it on one credit after not having played it for a few years. Those originals are just like that... your hands remember what to do. It held up really well to my eyes, and I'd recommend it to any NES fan who digs on the likes of Ninja Gaiden or Castlevania.

Played it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I wanted this back in the old days of the NES thanks to NP but never got it. Sometime later I forgot about it so I never got it in my 90s growth of games in the back end of the decade. I did eventually bump into it at a flea market out west back when I was there a few years ago (for a few years) and I found it interesting, yet pretty hard since I'd never played it before. You're right, you die, and die a LOT. Visuals, audio, excellent, but it is HAL at it which were in Nintendo's back pocket forever so that fits and they're known for solid games. I'd have to say despite not buying old NES/SNES stuff anymore online, if I were to bump into this by some miracle locally and it wasn't some ebay price grab I'd snatch it up and try it again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I always liked the atmosphere, graphics, and music of KQF. The play control (ie: you slide around like you're on ice merely by being ABOVE an ice block) and strict timers were not my cup of tea, though.

KQF was developed by HUMAN, and shares a little graphical and musical similarity (IMO) to Monster Party, also developed in part by HUMAN. So, that's kind of a cool connection.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Ha, I actually beat this game last night/this morning... Overall its a pretty easy game and the last boss is really easy.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

This is a little freaky. The other day the Game of the Day was Global Defense, and it was a game that I was packing away a second copy of in a box of about 20 unwanted and duplicate games. One of the others in that box...Kabuki Quantum Fighter. I'll wait until there are a few more games from that box to get picked in the next few days before I accusing you of having cameras in my house.

In any event, I own this game -- 2 copies, at least -- but I've never played it yet.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    This is a little freaky. The other day the Game of the Day was Global Defense, and it was a game that I was packing away a second copy of in a box of about 20 unwanted and duplicate games. One of the others in that box...Kabuki Quantum Fighter. I'll wait until there are a few more games from that box to get picked in the next few days before I accusing you of having cameras in my house.

In any event, I own this game -- 2 copies, at least -- but I've never played it yet.
    It'd be a lot easier to view if you had room for some more shelving...

Objection! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this game too! Picked it up locally (and cheap). It's good, but I can say it's not easy.
    Serving the retrogaming community since March 2005

DP feedback: +47(!), no negatives
    can be found here: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66092