Thread: I Think I Want a Neo Geo

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I Think I Want a Neo Geo

I'm not sure if I should go for cartridges or CDs. I've read that if my choice is cartridges, I should go for MVS games due to price. CDs are even cheaper, but there are only 65 titles available. What do you think? Are there any must have titles I can't get on CD? Also, feel free to recommend some good games in general!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

The CD I'd avoid. While I never had one, a friend I had a few years back when I was back in Cali for 3 years had the full NeoGeo and NeoGeo CD setup. It sucks. I think it was made with the least amount of memory possible for access and storage of data because everything you hit was a pause for a load screen or just a pause to load. Even stuff like a fighter where you'd think it would keep data for the entire match, nope, it would get stuck, then stuck back to re-loading the fighter screen, then the screen for the win/loss, the pre-picture crap before the fight. If you don't mind a LOT of wasted time loading around playing go for it, but I'd blow your money on the cartridges. Yes they're expensive, but there are also expensivee(short term) alternatives if you're not stuck up on having an original. There are solid yellow carts out there with hundreds of games all legit that boot off a menu you can run through a NeoGeo. I know they're like over $500 bucks, but when you look at your average non-overly common NG cart prices into the more sought/rare junk hittnig 4 figures, it's a deal in short order.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I've been considering the mvs route for a while now. Cheaper and you can consoleize it fairly easy.

I guess controllers are the hard part of that though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yup I've been exposed to one and used it a bit before leaving Cali about 3 1/2 years ago. SamSpade(name on NintendoAge) if he's still around there was a local about 3mi from me. He bought a consolized NeoGeo setup and a bootleg which was in a yellow cart with 150 of the hotter (mostly the stuff that's not under $100 unless very popular) games in one for something like $600. It was well worth it. He had a nice setup there with the console running the arcade bootleg multicart and you could just screw around with whatever with total ease. I think it has that special Neogeo BIOS (universal) that floats around as it was a snap to tweak and play anything on it. He bitched about the price a little as it is a lot for most people which I know for sure, but given the interest and the crap load of games and quarters to go into it in play time totally would pay for itself soon enough.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

CDs are not worthwhile. AES is for collectors or if it's just fulfilling a childhood dream. MVS is for playing, though unless you do multicarts, it isn't really cheap anymore. Just cheapER.

If you have space, just watch craigslist for a cheap cabinet. They often come up for $200 or less for 1 or 2 slots if you live in a metro area. You could also watch for any cheap jamma cab with a good monitor. You'd only have to wire in the second speaker for stereo and a couple of buttons per player.

If space is a concern and you want to keep cost down, watch ebay or klov and buy a cheap one slot board, MV1-F or newer. Go to holland computers online and buy a switching power supply, two Happ competition joysticks (that feels like what's in most US Neo cabs) and 11 buttons (4 per player, two start buttons, and an insert coin button), a JAMMA wire harness, and two speaker wire to rca jacks. Go on ebay and search for RGB to composite or s-video converter for a CRT, or RGB to component, HDMI, or VGA for whatever you're hooking it up to (I like S-Video, but if you need to do high def, VGA is the cheapest circuit if your TV has it). Cut the female end off of a grounded extension cord, wire the sumbitch up, and encase it as you will. I can explain in greater detail, or you can easily find instructions online. You'll still spend $100-150, but it's way cheaper than what most people charge, and it'll work as a supergun with most jamma pcbs. Oh, and you may want an audio dampening circuit as well, but I just adjust the pot on the pcb low and turn it up slowly to get the volume I want. You can have it super low and adjust your tv volume and avoid hammering your speakers.

Then, buy a multicart, and be very sad that Windjammers isn't on it.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    I guess controllers are the hard part of that though
    Some MVS boards have regular DB-15 ports on 'em so you can just slap a regular Neo stick or pad into it.

I have both the CD and a few Neo cabs, never owned an AES. If you're content playing older (as in pre-96 or so) games the CD is fine. As an example, KoF '94 has one long load at startup then no other loading at all for the whole game. Load times on newer games can be killer, especially on things like KoF where rounds last a matter of seconds before it loads another character.

If space isn't a problem, go MVS, as it's much cheaper and games are more accessible. If money is no object go AES and have the best of both worlds; cheap AES carts for shelf candy or display and MVS carts via converter. Or, you can just buy new mass produced Chinese AES bootlegs of $1000 carts for around $150 per cart.

AES, MVS, CD... you can't lose. Just be prepared because once you go down the Neo hole you emerge a changed man.
    Last edited by Az; 02-23-2016 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've been wanting to get a Neo-Geo back for a long time. I know it's dumb, but I want an AES system like I had for a very brief period of time back in 92. Cyber-Lip and Super Baseball 2020 are the two games I really loved back then. Just for shits and giggles, how much would a AES and those two games run me ?

I probably won't ever get an AES again, unless I stumble onto a cheap one by some miracle, but it's one of the two remaining game systems that I'd love to get back at some point...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    I've been wanting to get a Neo-Geo back for a long time. I know it's dumb, but I want an AES system like I had for a very brief period of time back in 92. Cyber-Lip and Super Baseball 2020 are the two games I really loved back then. Just for shits and giggles, how much would a AES and those two games run me ?

I probably won't ever get an AES again, unless I stumble onto a cheap one by some miracle, but it's one of the two remaining game systems that I'd love to get back at some point...
    Heheh, sweet, somebody else out there likes Super Baseball 2020. I love that game, and have it on SNES, Genesis (shitty version, but still...), AES, and MVS. I've loved that game since I accidentally played at a skating rink as a kid and didn't know how to use the change game button on the cabinet.

A US AES with those 2 games would probably run you close to $700 at flat retail, and that's probably low. I still have both of them in my AES collection, though they are the slightly cheaper Japanese versions of each. I like Cyber Lip and its ridiculously dark ending, but it plays pretty great, too. I prefer it over a couple of the Metal Slugs... maybe 2 and 4.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Some MVS boards have regular DB-15 ports on 'em so you can just slap a regular Neo stick or pad into it.
    that's not what I am talking about, i'm saying its hard to find a neo geo controller that isn't all used up

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I jumped into getting a Neo Geo two years back when I was into fighting games. AES, tho I later bought an adapter for MVS games.

There was one thing tho... I don't quite like the default joysticks. They feel... I dunno, wrong. Also you pretty much need an extension cord.

The only other thing was that for some reason the copy of World Heroes I wound up with made scratchy noises during gameplay, and while it got better or worse at random (There was at least one playthru I did where it made no scratchy noises at all) I never quite found out what was causing it. I'm sure its not the AES because the other two games I own (Magician Lord and Blue's Journey) don't do this.

Incidentally I'm looking to buy a second AES (US) copy of World Heroes if anyone has one. I'd also like other cheap fighting games.

However, other than that I was quite happy with the unit. I don't use it much (having only three games does that) but I wouldn't trade it for the world, and do not for a minute regret it. All I wanna do now is get some alternate joystick parts and mod the thing with some Sanwa.

Did I mention that Magician Lord is good? Because it is. Blue's Journey is... weird. Like its really fun, but it feels unfocused, like it doesn't know which gimmick it wants to focus on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post

The market for the aes has become very cost prohibitive as of late.It's really for the best going with a consolized mvs and a multi-cart doesn't hurt either for a setup.Though if you have the room a complete neo-geo mvs arcade cabinet is fine.By the way i have 2020 Super Baseball myself to that game is very enjoyable to play.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 02-23-2016 at 07:10 AM.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

check out neogeo.com forums i used to hang out there when i had an aes i dropped a couple grand on the collection and i didn't have anything all that special i had a japanese aes with unibios and modded for better video also a memory card. i would rather have and recommend an mvs if you have the space forget the consolized stuff and just get a cab also surprised no one has mentioned the neo geo x ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think the NeoGeoX doesn't get mentioned for either 2 reasons
    1) Forgotten by most
    2) I don't think it was ever properly hacked so any idiot with 5 minutes of free time could dump some ROMS on a SD card and go at it.

If #2 is wrong, then it happened after I stopped paying attention as I almost bought the handheld back when it was a big thing online. I just didn't much care for the limited game selection as many favorites (8 Man, Super Dodgeball, etc) were excluded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Bad emulation. In the case of someone really wanting the Neo Geo experience, crude emulation just isn't the thing. It has been hacked to all heck, but there are easier ways to play emulated Neo Geo, and for someone who wants the full-on experience, emulation was never an option... otherwise, download services, compilations, or illegal ROMs offer the same experience as the X, but cheaper. If the OP really is convinced about needing a Neo Geo, emulation probably wasn't the goal. I may be assuming too much there, but I'd bet that's the case.