Name:	20160224_194610.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	8542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160224_193724.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	75.2 KB 
ID:	8543
    Wetrix on the N64 is one of my favorite games on the system, and one of my favorite puzzle games in general. It tasks the player to use tetris-like blocks called "uppers" on a 3D plane to create retention for lakes, which will fill by rain and falling bubbles full of water. Any water not walled in will drip off of the edge, filling a drain that looks like a rain gauge. When that drain fills, it's game over, and time to see if your score ranked. Like most successful puzzle games, it sounds simple enough, but the game has its tricks to stifle your scoring, making it simple to learn, but a challenge to play at a high level.

Scoring takes place in two main ways. One, by retaining water in one or more lakes. A single water cluster falling into multiple lakes grants a multiplier. If water in a single lake becomes deep enough, a rubber ducky will appear, granting another multiplier. Also, if enough total volume of water is being retained at once, a rainbow appears, granting a massive 10X multiplier. This is great, but the real points come by having all or some of these set up, then dropping a fireball, which evaporates all water in one lake, giving off big time scores, which increase dramatically by hitting large volume lakes.

All of this creates a compelling dilemma between number of lakes vs size of lakes, encouraging different approaches to maximize score. However, there are hazards to work around as well beyond just dripping water. First and most importantly, there is an earthquake meter, which gradually fills each time you place a new land piece. If this fills up, a massive quake happens, which randomly annihilates most of your walls. To lower this meter, you can use "downers," which are downward arrows that will lower any piece of wall they touch to base level. These can also be useful for shaping your lakes. Also, bombs drop, which not only destroy what land they touch, but create a hole that must be plugged with more land. This lowers your earthquake meter, but must be fixed quickly. If a bomb falls diwn an existing hole, it'll drop three more, so be careful. Also, your fireballs can be used as bombs that don't make holes if you drop them on land instead of water. Lastly, as your level increases, floating bombs will appear, and if they touch bottom, you have a new hole.

So, yeah, that's a lot of compressed info, and the game eases you into it gradually. It also gives you a smart bomb if you achieve five lakes, which is a desperation move to essentially empty all meters and reset your land to flat while retaining your score. It's tough at first, but stick with it and you'll start putting up impressive scores in a hurry.

There are also challenge scenarios and a vs mode, in which good scores allow you to build up attacks to send at your opponent, but they are all direct variations on the classic mode, which is easily the most complete Wetrix experience.

My N64 cart is beat up, but it was free at least. Wetrix also came out on Dreamcast as Wetrix + and GBC in Europe (and a Windows version exists), and had a PS2 sequel called Aqua Aqua. It has a nice techno soundtrack that I normally wouldn't care for, but here I think it fits the atmosphere well, aiding its weird sense of calm tension.

Have you played Wetrix?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have Wetrix for the N64, but I do have Wetrix+ (Dreamcast) and the sequel Aqua Aqua for the PS2.

Just three days ago I put finally my Dreamcast on VGA, and tried out games to enjoy the great image clarity. Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, EGG, Metropolis Street Racer, Daytona USA and some others, and then I played Wetrix+ just to see how the graphics are. I wanted to play for five minutes. Result: I played that thing for an hour.

I played it back in the day, and I have to say it is perhaps the best puzzle game I played besides the almighty Tetris, of course. It is easy to understand and to pick up, and it opens all kinds of possibilities and strategies, and ist is just plain entertaining, fun and challenging.

Just a great game.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-24-2016 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It was one of the most bizarre but fun games as far as puzzles went for me on the N64 right up there with Tetrisphere which was wonky too. It also got a very nice PC and Dreamcast mainstream release, less known, also a JP+EU release for the GB Color which isn't bad either(obviously less 'fluidly' animated though.)

I really liked the game and the morphing effect of the walls as you raised or lowered them and how the water and other traps would erode things. I keep an unattentive eye out for it when I flea market in case I can stumble upon it again for like five bucks with a good sticker on it for N64...no such luck yet around these parts but you never know. I just don't buy NES/SNES games at all and barely touch 64 games either anymore as far as buying online and off as it has come to a near level of repulsion. Maybe I should look into the GBC one for fun?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I have a copy of the Dreamcast version, but it refuses to boot. No major scratches or foil damage, and I even had it resurfaced, but it always hangs/restarts during the boot process, though the game logo at least shows up on the VMU.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    I have a copy of the Dreamcast version, but it refuses to boot. No major scratches or foil damage, and I even had it resurfaced, but it always hangs/restarts during the boot process, though the game logo at least shows up on the VMU.
    If I remember right, it uses the Dreamcast's Windows CE mode, as I think it's based on the Windows 98 version, and even has its remixed soundtrack. I know some Dreamcasts struggle with CE games like Worms or Silver. Have trouble with any others that use CE mode?

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Wetrix is like an inside joke among my friends, haha, for no real explainable reason. I'm known for and teased for being the big N64 fan among us and for having fondness for a bunch of weird, obscure, not-very-highly-regarded games, so one day we were just going through my collection, picking out the stuff nobody else had heard of. Started up Wetrix and took turns at it, without really knowing what we were doing, and laughed our asses off at the ridiculous voice clips. Later on I went through the tutorial and figured out how to play. The aesthetic/music of the game doesn't do much for me, but it is really fun. I've been meaning to pick up the Dreamcast version and the sequel for years.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    If I remember right, it uses the Dreamcast's Windows CE mode, as I think it's based on the Windows 98 version, and even has its remixed soundtrack. I know some Dreamcasts struggle with CE games like Worms or Silver. Have trouble with any others that use CE mode?
    Hey, thanks for the remote diagnostic effort. Unfortunately that lead doesn't pan out, since I'm able to run both Worms games and Silver with no trouble. But it was a nice thought!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Probably one of the scratches is just good enough or in the right direction. The thing uses normal CDs over-done up to a GB ie: GD-ROM, and they can be highly more sensitive than a normal CD. It's partly why I don't own one anymore as I do not wish to bump into issues and I'd buy my games complete and I know buying near to completely scuffless DC discs in a case would not be price friendly due to the limited amount out there since the thing died at 9M units sold/made if I remember right.

WinCE though he is right, it struggles a bit more as it accesses the disc a different way in relation to windows if I recall right, not the specifics though. Armada which I loved to death on there used that mode and it would grind a bit more and take longer to load up when playing. It never failed, but you could watch and hear the difference over a natively done DC title without WinCE.