Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    primordialhelios

Default Pokémon!

I can't believe there isn't a thread talking about Pokémon day and the new games! Anybody excited about Sun and Moon? I know I'm certainly buying a 3DS for them.

Anyway, what's your fondest memory of playing Pokémon? I think mine was shortly after beating the elite 4 in Sapphire, I got my Kyogre up to level 100. It was the first time I had gotten a pokemon ti level up that high, and I felt this surge of happiness in me knowing that I had accomplished something that took so much time and effort.
    I still haven't beaten DOOM

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

My interest in Pokemon is passing I guess, not minimal as I like it, but as the games kind of advanced, more so got more convoluted with lots of additional fluff and dragging periods between some gyms I've lost the ability to play the stuff more than a few hours. That said I got started on it in college early on there when it hit, before it was a fad or something people got all crazy about as I got curious. I had red, nearly finished it, but got lost (no guide use) and quit, but when Yellow came out that one was my personal favorite and still is as it included the ability to make fools out of Team Rocket and the art and things updated to match the show along with the ability to have pikachu plus early all 3 of the starters in normal play made it a blast. I skipped them until FireRed popped out, never finished it as that's when it just started to bloat, but I Keep it around as I do enjoy casually messing with it.

Ever since then it's that wall of lessening tolerance. I caught up on the GBC era via the DS SoulSilver update which wasn't bad, but only took down like a 1/3 of the game. I skipped the others on DS, but then when X popped up on the 3DS I gave it a go and that kind of finished me off probably. The game drags pretty bad between the early dungeons and it stopped me from doing more than one or two. I really enjoyed the XP share in that game as it was like a normal RPG party all getting XP from a fight, which I think the franchise needs to speed it up. It just still though XP leveling aside felt slow so I stopped.

Around the RPGs I did and till do enjoy the original Pokemon Pinball (GBC), the Snap game was ok on N64 but I didn't play it long, and Stadium1 on N64 was fun even using the built in lv40(?) pokemon to fight with, and of course the puzzle league game on N64 was a hit as I like panel de pon.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Default I'm an ex-fan

About ten years ago, I was a total Pokémaniac. I played every single game, logging in 100-200 hours on each cartridge. I got every promo - driving for hours to go to the NYC Pokemon Center or, in one case, even mailing a cartridge halfway across the country to fellow DPer IronDraggon so that he could nab me a Deoxys from the Houston Space Center on some particular day of the year. In fact, you can probably look back on these very boards to see evidence of how much I loved those games.

HeartGold was the last one that I played. I have SoulSilver but didn't start it up. My interest would wax and wane over time but I'd always come back to it...and the last time it waned (probably about four or five years ago, about the time I went back to school part-time in the evenings), I just dropped it and haven't looked back. At this point, I will not get back into it, and there are a few reasons for this.

The promo Pokemon. I have never been a fan of these limited-release characters that you have to unlock either by coincidence / fate (e.g., you happen to live near one of the distributions) or simply by having to pay attention to what promos they are running at a particular point in time. In Japan - a country that's much smaller than America - that might be a perfectly acceptable way to do things. Almost every player there could get their hands on every promo without too much effort. Here? Some of those were a little tough to come by, and if you didn't, you would have a big gaping hole in your Pokedex. GameFreak probably did more than any other company to encourage sales of cheat devices for handheld systems because of this silly "feature" - barring some extraordinary luck or expenditure of resources in many cases, you quite literally had to cheat to complete the game ("catch 'em all").

If the promos were pre-release bonuses offered for purchase loyalty (like the Jirachi disk distributed with Pokemon Colosseum, or the Eon Ticket e-Reader card distributed via Nintendo Power, or the things where Pokemon Ranger would send a character over to the main games), then that would be one thing - true fans could always pony up to get the things after the fact on eBay. But these things where they transmit them during a limited time - meh. I'm not going to operate on their clock anymore. In earlier generations there were only 3-5 promo characters - a pretty manageable amount. Now there's what - 10+? I'm not going to collect all those for every new game; it's a pain.

The games also aren't substantially different, one from another. I'm not even talking about the stupid two-versions that have only superficial differences where you have to buy two to get everything on your own, or make sure a friend got the other one - also a big fat pain. I'm talking about the story and progression of the game. There's always a rival, and a Pokemon league, and six gyms, all that. Oh, they've made major changes to the gameplay over time - making special + physical attacks unrelated to type, breeding, and all sorts of things - but the core game is always the same. The fluff they add - like Pokeblocks and contests - are just total time-sinks, and relatively boring. Stuff that people have wanted for years - like a game on a full console, or a game where you could revisit all these other areas from previous games - they've never delivered. On top of that, they keep vastly expanding the roster of Pokemon, sometimes with cool additions that have interesting types and moves and whatnot but often there are just crap characters that do nothing (e.g., what the heck was the point of Dunsparce?).

To seal the deal, they go and shut down a lot of the online features they had in past games - like the Global Trading System and that thing where you could grow berries on some sort of cloud-world or whatever that was. I kind of like being able to go back and enjoy games of yesteryear, and the fact that they shut that stuff down rather stinks.

No, I'm not getting back into this stuff at this point. I celebrated the Pokemon10th Anniversary by going someplace to download a Celebi, but I won't be bothered to make a deal out of their 20th. They're not really about customer service and delight at this point, and the features they have in the game work to serve Nintendo's / GameFreak's purposes (e.g., the promo dudes are probably marketing ploys to get you to buy the game right at release), not the player's.
    Last edited by calthaer; 03-04-2016 at 01:33 PM.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

My fondest memory of playing Pokemon is Blue. Every game I've played since then has been a really bad game. Single player is a joke and unless you've played every single game up to the current point, you're not going to stand a chance against anyone who's kept at the series in the competitive scene. If I'm going to play competitively, it's going to be something I can have fun getting into such as a strategy game, fighting game, racing game, etc. Not a game like in the latest Pokemon games that the only reason I'm doing well in the competitive scene is because I've studied how to build a great party for 37 days without sleep and then spent the past decade working on building it before getting in a single battle, only to find out I'm bored of doing the competitive stuff and that one great party I've built was used for less than 30 minutes over how long it took me to make it.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.