Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wii Have Some Solid Info about the NX (Nintendo NX "Legit Rumor" from Geno)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post

my guess is fake, a Japanese company with a note in the top left corner in English developing a handheld with a crazy screen....

I think the theory is that this is from a dev kit that somebody in the UK or USA might have, and somebody took a quick picture of it..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nevermind... it appears it's a fake..

The detectives at neogaf quickly figured out that there is a 99.9 percent chance it's fake.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Was there ever any doubt?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Was there ever any doubt?
    Well, I do remember a year ago or so, how there was all this scuttlebutt that Nintendo had some type of circular screen thing, and they were calling it a donut. None of it really made any sense, but then after seeing the picture of this supposed "leak", I was thinking... hmm. maybe that circular screen story thing was actually true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sadly. there of course was a patent so this guy's inspiration wasn't just his own imagination.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...een_technology

And while I won't dismiss some ideas here with that mockup since it's rooted in that actual patent filing, it sure looked fake to me and an obvious attempt to fool people after this surfaced a while back.

Moving away from that and just talking about the patent itself, Nintendo's biggest mistake yet would be if they really think that they can eliminate buttons. Change just for the sake of change is pointless and they need to realize this with their continued attempts to provide a gimmick every generation. Unless it improves the user experience, it's not only valueless, it's detrimental and hardly the revolution that they feel that they must seek with every new generation in the 2000's.

Whatever they're cooking, it better be able to be justified when we play a game on it. Gamers are tired of Nintendo's gimmicks that usually get in the way of enjoying games as much or more than they ever actually benefit it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-19-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with the removal of buttons, it would be tantamount to suicide. There's a reason people who do Android and Apple gaming get bluetooth or wired through the jack controller,s touch controls are inaccurate shit and always will be. To think you could make an uncomfortable oval with an L/R button and then a touch panel is basically going full retard, it's bad design all around. Anyone who has tried to play a serious game on a touch panel gets screwed...thumbs float away from fake touch buttons and sticks because of no tactile feedback. I could see them making a gamepad more like a 3DS/WiiU mix with a touch area with a visual panel, not the solid megabutton that PS4 used.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The party's not over folks:

New pictures leaked.... Supposedly this is a "controller" for the NX... and it includes haptic feedback somehow ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Person with a dev kit (if to believe it) wrote the people at NintendoLife.com about it and said it's not real.

Hopefully true or I'd write off the NX. Let's face it, touch controls are shit. No reason to even sugar coat that one. If touch controls were so accurate and excellent there would be no need for controllers for android/ios tablets and phones. By some chance this is real and this is how they intend to make people game using nebulous touch panel and a couple dinky nubs for direction I'm not buying it and I'm just sticking with Sony if that considering I have a high end laptop.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Let's face it, touch controls are shit. No reason to even sugar coat that one. If touch controls were so accurate and excellent there would be no need for controllers for android/ios tablets and phones. By some chance this is real and this is how they intend to make people game using nebulous touch panel and a couple dinky nubs for direction I'm not buying it and I'm just sticking with Sony if that considering I have a high end laptop.
    While this is still probably bullshit, it is actually possible to provide tactile feedback on a touch screen.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/we-try-...effectiveness/
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm aware of haptic feedback, but you're still in a spot where you'd need to eyeball where your thumb is to still seek contact with the touch feedback based panel. A button you can feel the shape of it and unconsciously leave your thumb on it and know you'll never miss the thing when you need to hit it 1 or 100 times in a row. A touch panel even with haptic won't do this because it still is a flat piece of glass and with nothing to guide the thumb you'll be moving it, and likely off of what it considers a button. That's what I was getting at, not the lack of any form of feedback. Haptic is a nice direction to go with, it's thumb teasing much like rumble packs the N64 went with in the mid 90s added a feel to the impacts in game you would take.

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The screen in the link is pressure sensitive and the haptic feedback has enough resolution to allow the user to feel textures.
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Nothing official but it seems i wasn't the only one thinking carts could be making a come back.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...ctually-smart/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PreZZ
    PSN
    PreZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Nothing official but it seems i wasn't the only one thinking carts could be making a come back.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/0...ctually-smart/
    I dont believe they would do something this stupid. Nintendo is trying to drive digital sales but they are so stupid that they only put 32gb or 8 gb of memory in the system... i buy 32gb sd cards for 6.97 they are ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

What would be more expensive, a 64GB SD card or a Bluray 50GB disc?

Obviously the later, but if they are indeed goong back to carts, the price to produce them Must be insanely cheap if they plan on doing so.

I would love to find out the cost of each individual 3DS cart for Nintendo. I would not be surprised if it's just a few pennies.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The latter is definitely not more expensive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by megasdkirby View Post
    What would be more expensive, a 64GB SD card or a Bluray 50GB disc?

Obviously the later, but if they are indeed goong back to carts, the price to produce them Must be insanely cheap if they plan on doing so.

I would love to find out the cost of each individual 3DS cart for Nintendo. I would not be surprised if it's just a few pennies.
    Given that the 3DS currently has a cap at 8GB and it's a known what those are to produce from what I understand, for them to go larger given the gap in time in development of the 3DS to now you could expect them to at a consolized level of $50 let's say go with a fairly meaty card and not take a % cut hit worse really. 64 might be pushing it but 32 perhaps. The thing is, if the truth of it is they're hiding NintendOS because it's more or less an Android reskin like FireOS we're talking about a Nintendo handheld/console that works on the same tier as the nvidia shield tablet/console and those have been out a bit so the tech is a little older now and they can at their best trump what you saw last gen and in a smaller overall size footprint. The largest android games I think pop up around the 3-4GB mark and those such as Knights of the Old Republic being a straight(more or less) and not compressed PC conversion is something to think about. Look what Nvidia has uniquely only running on their portable chipset now other Android users can not touch, it's fairly impressive.

Bards Tale full download from PS2 is 3.5GB with the HD version which is a PS2 port upscaled at least I can find so far and that's optional, starts at 1.75GB. I found another one slightly bigger - X-COM-THE ENEMY UNKNOWN(3.63 GB). Final Fantasy IX's total conversion needs 4GB to install but eats up like 3.2GB. That still less than 1/2 the size of the largest 3DS media at 8GB.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 05-09-2016 at 11:21 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I said it once and i'll say it again...

if a company can produce, package, and sell flash memory at say $60 for 240 gigs, ship it back after purchase, R&R, test, repackage as refurbished and sell it again at $48 refurbished they must be hella cheap to make

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    The DudeGuyMan

I've never really been an early adopter, so I probably won't buy an NX at launch, as I'm still having loads of fun with my Wii U, and will likely continue to do so well into the next console generation. However, based on the info from Geno, and the Ars Technica article, this could be a very smart move for Nintendo to go back to a ROM-based medium, and give them a technical edge in terms of staying power. I see this in Information Technology, the field I work in. We're moving away from PC's and back to thin client or zero client technology, where you get the OS and all the information from a back-end server, and your Windows desktop gets served up to you based on a pre-configured image. That works great in a local network setting, but as mentioned toward the beginning of the thread, the availability of reliable, high-speed internet access is still too limited to rely on a digital-only infrastructure, so it makes more sense for them to ditch the optical drive in favor of ROM cards/cartridges to eliminate moving parts and make the console less prone to failure, and gives them a reliable delivery system for their games. I personally look forward to seeing an official "NX" reveal, when we actually get the real name of the system (though I'm not averse to "NX" being the final moniker), and see what the specs really are, what the launch titles will look/feel/play like, and ultimately what the handheld/console ecosystem will be and how they will interact. The Bluetooth to everything feature is very attractive, because the PS4Share and similar Xbone features allow for quick posting of gameplay snapshots to Twitter and Facebook, as well as (if I'm not mistaken), some built-in Twitch streaming features for one or both. If Nintendo could get in on that action, and not be so stingy about the fair use stuff, that could really help garner a lot of positive response, after the fallout from video takedowns, ad revenue sharing, etc. that has caused at least a small bit of contention with fans.
    Twitter Facebook YouTube Tumblr My personal blog
    Game Boy Guru project - I'm attempting to collect, play, & review every North American Game Boy release!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My prediction is that the AC cord and controller will be sold seperately. Because they are cheap.