Thread: SNES controller port issues!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default SNES controller port issues!

I've got a few non-working SNES that I'm trying to restore.

One is giving me a bit of a headache. It's an early edition one-chip model (with SHVC sound module) It boots up, shows picture, but the controller port doesn't work. Simple fix I thought, replace the controller ports from another SNES. Same issue.

Specifically, what is happening is that only the B button works, I can't use any arrows, start or other buttons. I've tried multiple controllers, and now two different ports, and the same issues are happening. SOMETIMES if I move the cable around and start mashing buttons, it will start selecting and going back, as if activating two buttons at the same time (for example, SMW goes into Game A, to the one or two player screen, then back to game select)

I've tested continuity from the end of the ribbon connector to each solder point under the mainboard where the connector is, and each one is good. I don't know where to go from here. The issue clearly is on the motherboard, but where?

Has anybody experienced this issue? Any solutions that you can think of?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by amace View Post
    I've got a few non-working SNES that I'm trying to restore.

One is giving me a bit of a headache. It's an early edition one-chip model (with SHVC sound module) It boots up, shows picture, but the controller port doesn't work. Simple fix I thought, replace the controller ports from another SNES. Same issue.

Specifically, what is happening is that only the B button works, I can't use any arrows, start or other buttons. I've tried multiple controllers, and now two different ports, and the same issues are happening. SOMETIMES if I move the cable around and start mashing buttons, it will start selecting and going back, as if activating two buttons at the same time (for example, SMW goes into Game A, to the one or two player screen, then back to game select)

I've tested continuity from the end of the ribbon connector to each solder point under the mainboard where the connector is, and each one is good. I don't know where to go from here. The issue clearly is on the motherboard, but where?

Has anybody experienced this issue? Any solutions that you can think of?
    I haven't experienced that specific issue, but it sounds like either a short or bad ppu. SNES inputs register on pin... I think 2 on the ppu connected to the controller port.