Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Retrogaming Times - Retrogaming Hobbyist Newsletter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Default The Retrogaming Times - Retrogaming Hobbyist Newsletter

I'm sure quite a few people here remember Retrogaming Times and Retrogaming Times Monthly. Heck, I know for a fact some of you contributed to one or both newsletters. I myself contributed to Retrogaming Times Monthly from 2004 - 2013. In early 2014 the newsletter went on hiatus. I got to talking with the outgoing editors and in early 2016 plans were underway to revive the newsletter on a bimonthly basis with a relaxed deadline schedule. I stepped up as Chief Editor and lead the revival, rechristening the newsletter as "The Retrogaming Times."

The Retrogaming Times - The Bimonthly Retrogaming Hobbyist Newsletter

The First Issue, March 2016, was released a couple weeks ago and can be read at the link above.

It's important for anyone who visits to understand The Retrogaming Times is a "roots" retrogaming newsletter. A newsletter where a "letter to the editor" is published as an article, and the person who wrote it is credited as a Contributing Writer. From there a Contributing Writer is welcomed and encouraged to turn an article into a reoccurring column, with absolutely no obligation to do so. If there is one thing I want to continue forward with, it is that The Retrogaming Times is open to all who have something to say. Everyone I've ever had any contact with in all my years of playing video games has had an experience, a story, opinion, though, idea, memory or knowledge to share. That is the core of The Retrogaming Times. "If there is something you want to write about, send it in."

Many contributors from the previous newsletters continued on with me and we're all looking forward to our little slice of retrogaming fandom to grow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Second Issue - May 2016, has been

published and can be viewed at the URL below:

http://www.classicplastic.net/trt/

Featured in this issue:

NEW ADVENTURES FOR ENDURING GAMES!

+ RetroDuo Portable V2.0 Review
    + MoreC64! - SEUCK Competitions
    + Apple II Incider - Space Ark
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - First Journey
    + Retro Gaming Heroes - The No Swear Gamer
    + My Video Game Collection
    + Retrogaming Feels - Lemonade Stand
    + and more...

Please feel free to circulate the URL and visit the official Facebook page of The Retrogaming Times

at https://www.facebook.com/theretrogamingtimes/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Fourth Issue - September 2016, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

EXPLOSIVE VENGEANCE IS SERVED!

+ More C64! - Recent Releases (Akalabeth, Shotgun, Barnsley Badger)
    + Retrogaming Feels - Yars' Revenge *COVER STORY*
    + Apple II Incider - Sundog: Frozen Legacy
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Third Journey (CoolBoy 198 in 1, Games 31 - 45)
    + The Controller Chronicles - NES Controller
    + Show Report - California Extreme 2016
    + The Paths We Are Lead Down
    + TriForce Johnson Interview
    + and more...

Please feel free to circulate the URL and visit the official Facebook page of The Retrogaming Times at https://www.facebook.com/theretrogamingtimes/

Thank you for reading The Retrogaming Times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Fifth Issue - November 2016, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

THE DAYS WHEN KONAMI WAS KING!

+ More C64! - Konami and the C64 (Track & Field, Castlevania and more) *COVER STORY*
    + Retrogaming Feels - Sinistar
    + The Return of the Arcades?
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Fourth Journey (CoolBoy 198 in 1, Games 46 - 60)
    + The Controller Chronicles - Dreamcast Control Pad
    + Bomberman Parties
    + and more...

Please feel free to circulate the URL and visit the official Facebook page of The Retrogaming Times at https://www.facebook.com/theretrogamingtimes/

Last edited by InsaneDavid; 11-01-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Sixth Issue - January 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

THE AMBITION OF LIMITLESS EXPLORATION!

+ More C64! - Sylvester Stallone (Rambo: First Blood Part II, Cobra, Rambo III)
    + Retrogaming Feels - Final Fantasy
    + Coin-OP Game Room Coming to San Francisco
    + The Controller Chronicles - Intellivision Controller
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Fifth Journey (CoolBoy 198 in 1, Games 61 - 75)
    + NES Classic Edition - Worth Waiting For?
    + How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Atari 5200
    + A Timely Gift of Endless Adventure
    + and more...

Last edited by InsaneDavid; 03-01-2017 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Seventh Issue - March 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

VINTAGE COMPUTING ENDURES!

+ More C64! - New Titles *COVER STORY*
    + Retrogaming Feels - Street Fighter II: The World Warrior
    + Apple II Incider - Apple IIGS Super Mario Bros.
    + The Controller Chronicles - Nintendo 64 Controller
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Sixth Journey (CoolBoy 198 in 1, Games 76 - 90)
    + VZ-200 & VZ-300 - 8 Bits of Awesome! *COVER STORY*
    + Retrogaming Dealer Round-Up
    + Weekly Retrogaming Trivia Recap
    + and more...

If you would like to contribute to a future issue, please contact trt@classicplastic.net directly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Eighth Issue - May 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

NICE CODE SOFTWARE EXTRAVAGANZA!

+ More C64! - Starring Bruce Willis (Die Hard, Die Hard 2, Hudson Hawk)
    + Retrogaming Feels - Rogue and Roguelikes
    + Reviving Halcyon Days of Gaming Youth
    + The Controller Chronicles - Sega Genesis Control Pad
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Seventh Journey (CoolBoy 198, Games 92, 98 - 150, 154) *COVER STORY*
    + and more...

If you would like to contribute to a future issue, please contact trt@classicplastic.net directly. We are a 100% free, 100% hobbyist driven, 100% retrogaming focused newsletter. That means all of our content is created by retrogamers just like you. Submissions for future issues are ALWAYS open!

Last edited by InsaneDavid; 07-01-2017 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for this Thread pointing out a superb newsletter! The latest issue a very informative history read. I saved all the older HTML files for reference, some really great articles!
    Last edited by CRTGAMER; 05-01-2017 at 08:57 AM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Thanks for this Thread pointing out a superb newsletter! The latest issue a very informative history read. I saved all the older HTML files for reference, some really great articles!
    No problem at all! Thanks really must go to our staff who put the time and energy into submitting their content every issue. As for me - I really don't want to look at another Nice Code game for quite awhile.

The full .PDF legacy archive is still forthcoming, I assure everyone. This will contain (nearly) every issue of Retrogaming Times (and Bit Age Times), Retrogaming Times Monthly, and The Retrogaming Times as downloadable .PDF files. I say "nearly" because there are a few issues near the end of RTM that are very difficult to archive due to how they were structured, and I know for certain the last two issues are completely lost. However if you read up through to the very, very end of RTM (2014) then you know those last two issues were essentially nonexistent to begin with.

We're ALWAYS looking for more content!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Publication Note - There was an outdated link on the main index on release morning that has now been corrected. If you were clicking on the new issue text link on the main index and being sent to the previous issue, reload the page clean (or just click on the newspaper graphic instead) and you'll be directed properly.

"All Systems Go - Prepare to Joust!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

It has been a month or so of delays and headaches at The Retrogaming Times HQ, however we're still running on time...

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Ninth Issue - July 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

PUMPING IRON ON COMMODORE 64!

+ More C64! - Arnold Schwarzenegger *COVER STORY*
    + Retrogaming Feels - P-51 Mustang
    + Apple II Incider - Cool Things Back In The Day With Apple II
    + The Controller Chronicles - Microsoft Xbox Control Pad
    + A Retrogamer Looking At Modern Gaming - Why I Got Nintendo Switch and XBox One S
    + Blip. - The Digital Game
    + and more...

If you would like to contribute to a future issue, please contact trt@classicplastic.net directly. We are a 100% free, 100% hobbyist driven, 100% retrogaming focused newsletter. That means all of our content is created by retrogamers just like you. Submissions for future issues are ALWAYS open!

THE 20TH ANNIVERSARY OF THE ORIGINAL "RETROGAMING TIMES" IS NEXT ISSUE!!! If you or anyone you know of contributed to Retrogaming Times, Bit Age Times, or Retrogaming Times Monthly, please send them our way to contribute to the special twentieth anniversary issue! As always, it's open subject as long as it has to do with retrogaming in some way. If you've been kicking around the idea of sending something in, the next issue is the time to finally do it! Submission deadline will be August 22nd!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A good read, the Xbox article caught my eye. I'm one of the probably the few that prefers the larger original controllers. The trivia info on the Dual Shock good, a good history aspect of the first game.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    A good read, the Xbox article caught my eye. I'm one of the probably the few that prefers the larger original controllers. The trivia info on the Dual Shock good, a good history aspect of the first game.
    Thanks! We're really trying to pull together larger issues going forward but we need more staff. The readerbase is always growing but contributions are key. Of course, I really didn't assist with that much this issue as I wasn't able to front my lead column (as I wrote this issue, I hold myself to the same deadline as everyone else) but it'll be back for September.

Even a one-off, one-shot is greatly appreciated and as Tom Zjaba did with the original newsletter, it is open to pretty much everyone - and every level of writing competency. While I still do edit each and every submission, I have scaled back my edits quite a bit from those first couple issues, as I don't want to trample on individual style or spiff someone's submissions too much. Looking back on when I first began with Retrogaming Times Monthly in 2004, I improved by leaps and bounds as the years rolled on (although some would still say not enough) but that would have never happened if my columns were overly polished in editing from the start.

Some contributions will always need a heavier editing pass than others, and that's fine, but these days I have a better handle on where to draw the line.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

NOTICE: The next issue (September 2017) will be the 20 year anniversary of the original Retrogaming Times. I have attempted to reach out to as many people who have written for the four incarnations of the newsletter over the years. (Retrogaming Times, Bit Age Times, Retrogaming Times Monthly, The Retrogaming Times) However if you haven't heard from me and you are a previous contributor, PLEASE consider writing a one-off for this special issue.

Deadline is AUGUST 22nd. All topics are open, as usual, as long as they have something to do with retrogaming. That's a term and time-frame that's changed a lot over the past twenty years, but the phrase, "Just because it's old doesn't mean it isn't fun" should continue to ring true. If you need a topic, "Legacy" would be the one to have in mind. Additionally if you've thought about contributing in the past, there is no better time than this upcoming issue. Reoccurring columns are great but one-shots are always very much appreciated as well.

August 22nd is an absolute hard deadline this issue (they usually are anyway) due to larger editing workload that will come with having more contributions.

Addendum, as I forgot to include this information in the last post:

Contributing is super easy! There's a rather (overly) detailed list of guidelines here - http://www.classicplastic.net/trt/submissions.html - along with a much more concise simplified list of the important points at the top.

It pretty much boils down to, "If there's something you want to write about, send it in" - simple as that.

The avenue of subject is always open, as long as it has something to do with retrogaming in some form. That term has changed an awful lot over the past twenty years but to me it boils down to the idea that, “Just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it still isn’t fun.”

There is no word limit however I do ask that contributors try to refrain from submitting something akin to a thesis paper. As Tom Zjaba, Retrogaming Times founder, would say - "Keep it short, keep it clean, keep it relevant." I'm okay with stretching the first two, but only to a certain degree.

Submit your article(s) to trt@classicplastic.net - which is the official contact address for submissions.

Content: .doc, .rtf (preferred), .txt, .docx, or plain e-mail text.

Images: Recommended but not required and shouldn’t overpower the text, simply send as attachments, zipped or not, embedded in document is fine, if you have specific locations in mind for images, please let me know.

Byline: Name you would like to be credited as (this will also be on the main index under staff, permanent credit)

e-mail address: Recommended but not required, this will be a link both in the byline of your article as well as on the main index as your staff contact.

Video: PLEASE lean away from video links as we’re a text publication as always and if there’s one thing that is horribly broken in older issues it is offsite video links. To this end, we do not embed video into the newsletter, but limited video links to support a column or to provide additional information is okay.

That’s about it. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to discuss something pertaining to the newsletter, please feel free to contact me directly at the submissions address.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 08-02-2017 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Thanks! We're really trying to pull together larger issues going forward but we need more staff. The readerbase is always growing but contributions are key. Of course, I really didn't assist with that much this issue as I wasn't able to front my lead column (as I wrote this issue, I hold myself to the same deadline as everyone else) but it'll be back for September.

Even a one-off, one-shot is greatly appreciated and as Tom Zjaba did with the original newsletter, it is open to pretty much everyone - and every level of writing competency. While I still do edit each and every submission, I have scaled back my edits quite a bit from those first couple issues, as I don't want to trample on individual style or spiff someone's submissions too much. Looking back on when I first began with Retrogaming Times Monthly in 2004, I improved by leaps and bounds as the years rolled on (although some would still say not enough) but that would have never happened if my columns were overly polished in editing from the start.

Some contributions will always need a heavier editing pass than others, and that's fine, but these days I have a better handle on where to draw the line.
    This is tempting. I used to write for Video Game Trader magazine way back until more of life and then being in theater shifted my time. I do miss writing and wouldn't mind an opportunity to dust off the pen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    This is tempting. I used to write for Video Game Trader magazine way back until more of life and then being in theater shifted my time. I do miss writing and wouldn't mind an opportunity to dust off the pen again.
    Go for it! You have a little more than two weeks until the deadline. As I added above -

Contributing is super easy! There's a rather (overly) detailed list of guidelines here - http://www.classicplastic.net/trt/submissions.html - along with a much more concise simplified list of the important points at the top.

It pretty much boils down to, "If there's something you want to write about, send it in" - simple as that.

The avenue of subject is always open, as long as it has something to do with retrogaming in some form. That term has changed an awful lot over the past twenty years but to me it boils down to the idea that, “Just because it’s old, doesn’t mean it still isn’t fun.”

There is no word limit however I do ask that contributors try to refrain from submitting something akin to a thesis paper. As Tom Zjaba, Retrogaming Times founder, would say - "Keep it short, keep it clean, keep it relevant." I'm okay with stretching the first two, but only to a certain degree.

Submit your article(s) to trt@classicplastic.net - which is the official contact address for submissions.

Content: .doc, .rtf (preferred), .txt, .docx, or plain e-mail text.

Images: Recommended but not required and shouldn’t overpower the text, simply send as attachments, zipped or not, embedded in document is fine, if you have specific locations in mind for images, please let me know.

Byline: Name you would like to be credited as (this will also be on the main index under staff, permanent credit)

e-mail address: Recommended but not required, this will be a link both in the byline of your article as well as on the main index as your staff contact.

Video: PLEASE lean away from video links as we’re a text publication as always and if there’s one thing that is horribly broken in older issues it is offsite video links. To this end, we do not embed video into the newsletter, but limited video links to support a column or to provide additional information is okay.

That’s about it. If you have any questions, concerns, or would like to discuss something pertaining to the newsletter, please feel free to contact me directly at the submissions address.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Tenth Issue - September 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

TWENTY YEARS OF RETROGAMING TIMES!

+ More C64! - The Commodore 64's Legacy
    + Retrogaming Feels - CoCo Arcade
    + Apple II Incider - Legacy
    + The Controller Chronicles - Magnavox Odyssey 2 Joystick
    + A Pirate's Life For Me - Eighth Journey
    + The "What If Universe" - E.T.
    + Memory Lane Is Not How I Remembered It
    + The Starpath Supercharger
    + The Retro Junkie: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III: The Manhattan Project
    + Retro Gaming Legacy
    + What You Leave Behind
    + Show Report - California Extreme 2017
    + and more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Eleventh Issue - November 2017, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

MANIC MINER'S FORGOTTEN CONVERSION!

+ More C64! - Argus and Planet Golf
    + The Controller Chronicles - Super Nintendo Control Pad
    + Betting On Dark Horses
    + By Any Other Name - Back to the Future Part II & III *COVER STORY*
    + and more...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

This is an official announcement that the long anticipated Newsletter Legacy Archive is now live. This is a collected archive of every issue of Retrogaming Times, Bit Age Times, Retrogaming Times Monthly, and The Retrogaming Times in .PDF file format, ready for direct download. Over 200 total issues across more than 20 years!

The link to this part of the site can be found on the main index: http://www.classicplastic.net/trt

Retrogaming Times, Bit Age Times, and Retrogaming Times Monthly each feature single download links to obtain every issue in each respective newsletter. Issues of The Retrogaming Times will have .PDF files added to the Legacy Archive as they are published.

PLEASE read the formatting information on the Legacy Archive page so you understand exactly what you are downloading, as most issues will have download options for two different layout configurations.

Additionally the entire archive is backed up, offline, in three locations. There is no need to stash the whole thing away or redistribute it elsewhere. In fact I would rather the archive not be redistributed at all, so that any updates or fixes will always take place at the top.

If you notice any problems, links that don't go anywhere or point to the wrong file, please contact me using the e-mail contact on the Legacy Archive page.

Thank you very much for your patience while this undertaking was completed and thank you for reading The Retrogaming Times.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to InsaneDavid For This Useful Post:

Nz17 (12-06-2017)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Greetings!

This is an official notification that The Retrogaming Times, Twelfth Issue - January 2018, has been published and can be viewed at the URL below:

Featured in this issue:

THE BATTLE FROM WITHIN!

+ More C64! - More Than The Human Body *COVER STORY*
    + Apple II Incider - Star Wars Memories
    + The Controller Chronicles - TurboGrafx-16
    + The Retrogaming Times Newsletter Legacy Archive Is Live
    + The Magical Vacation - Starring Uncle Edward and the Sega Master System
    + Classic Xbox - TRON 2.0 Killer App
    + and more...

We also feature a weekly retrogaming trivia question on our Facebook page every Friday!