Name:	20160303_210316.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	125.2 KB 
ID:	8563Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160303_210408.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	8564
    Even a high quality screenshot can't do Maze Hunter 3D justice, as it's one of the handful of Sega Master System games to employ the Sega Scope 3D glasses accessory. This uses a shuttering system alternating over each eye to create the illusion of 3D on an 8-bit system, and, frankly, it works really well.

The main game of Maze Hunter plays out largely like a slow game of Gauntlet. You're in an overhead maze with a goal of finding the exit warp from each room, but you must first find the key. You can pick up an iron bar with which to attack at short range, but there are also a few powerups that allow you to briefly fire projectiles, as well as others that allow you to run faster or jump higher. Enemies spawn all over each of the 20 stages, which are divided into four themed levels. Each level theme has a unique set of enemies to add, but the goal never changes. You start at the highest tier of each stage, and the exit is on the lowest.

If it sounds simple, well, it kind of is. It's far less complicated than a Gauntlet or Dark Chambers, but that's really not what it's about. Maze Hunter is really mainly a showcase for the 3D technology, which really works pretty great here. The sense of depth along walls and canyons is excellent, and the scale porportion is spot on, so you do feel a bit as though you've descended into a lower tier each time. The movement and combat are a tad slow, but the control is good, the hit detection is solid, and the jumping looks and feels great. The background graphics also have a nice '80s anime sci-fi flavor, and the music, while there are few tracks, is good, and has that distinctive Master System sound.

Overall, I found it to be fun enough to play through, as it isn't super long, and it's also fun to show my friends that Sega's 3D in the '80s actually was pretty badass. If you have a set of the glasses, it's a fun little no brainer, even though I probably wouldn't buy them solely to play it.

Have you hunted mazes lately?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I believe that I have all of the SMS 3-D games, but I've never played any of them, nor owned a pair of the 3D glasses. Well, I don't remember playing any of them anyway. I may have, possibly, many years ago, but I know I've never owned a pair of the glasses before.

Before this topic I had NO idea what type of game Maze Hunter 3-D was. Tell me, can the 3-D effect be achieved on an HD set, or does it need to be a CRT television? Also, aren't there third party 3-D glasses that function with the SMS 3D games? I believe the official 3D glasses are highly prone to breaking; specifically the arm.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

As far as I've seen, the 3D is incompatible with most if not all HDTVs. The big issue is that the way they de-interlace and refresh does not sync properly with the glasses. As far as aftermarket glasses go, though, yeah, modern shutter stereoscopic 3D glasses with a 3.5mm headphone jack will work with the card slot adapter, but you'll still need that component.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160304_234203.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	8569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160304_234145.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	8570
    These are the Sega-branded glasses, and the second picture shows the card slot adapter, which syncs the shuttering with the video coming from the Master System. It is fully compatible with the Power Base Converter as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

If you own a 3DS, Maze Hunter is included in the upcoming Sega 3D Classics compilation. That's an easy and cheap way to experience the 3D effect.

And if you own these cartridges, several have 2D modes.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-05-2016 at 12:52 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Every time I ever bought a Sega Master System and a lot of games I would get this game but never the 3D glasses.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    If you own a 3DS, Maze Hunter is included in the upcoming Sega 3D Classics compilation. That's an easy and cheap way to experience the 3D effect.

And if you own these cartridges, several have 2D modes.
    That could be cool, as Maze Hunter doesn't have a 2D mode and really needs the glasses on the cart, so 3DS could be a great way to play. The official 3D glasses do work pretty great, but they're super heavy compared to regular glasses and are not padded or form fitting in the least. Still, at least they do what they were meant to. They aren't particularly flimsy, though. I'd imagine that many were just beaten to shit by kids is all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I finally managed to get the 3D glasses a few years back, but I still haven't tried them for a couple of reasons. First was that the SMS was such a disappointment for me that I've never had the desire to hook it up and play it since I first bought mine in the late '90s. Second reason is because I've also heard of the fragility of the 3D glasses along with their small size, and I have a big ol' head that they probably won't fit on easily. I've always meant to pick up a third-party pair, but again I've never been excited to hook up the SMS enough to warrant the effort.

Insert Coin (Level 0) JeremiahJT's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JeremiahJT

I own all 6 3D games released here in the US and have played them all quite a bit. This is probably my second or third favorite of the bunch. Behind Missile Defense 3-D and jockeying for position with Blade Eagle 3-D. All 6 of them are fun games so I highly recommend the 3-D glasses. I have never played OutRun 3-D or Line of Fire though.