Name:	20160306_233141.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	114.2 KB 
ID:	8589Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160306_233029.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	8592
    Aero Blasters for the Turbografx 16 (also known as Air Buster on Genesis) is a horizontally scrolling shooter with a sense of urgency. The antithesis of the methodical R-Types and Gradius' of the world, Aero Blasters eschews the lined, slow corridors and memorization for fast, furious pacing with enemies and bullets swooping in fast from all sides, demanding twitch reflexes and a steady hand for precise movement.

The control is as responsive as it needs to be to support the aggressive pace it espouses, with responsive movement, firing that doesn't require button mashing, and a neat charge bomb that can be charged for just a second or two and will clear the screen of weak enemies and energy projectiles. This has unlimited uses, and adds a strategic element to approaching faster waves and corridors, as you can't fire during the charge.

Even powerups come and go in a flash, launching out in an arc and falling quickly off screen. These give you various subweapons or options, increase your basic firepower, and in certain cases, bumpers. Why bumpers? Because at certain points, Aero Blasters likes to ramp up its already fast pace to blistering speeds and send you hurtling down narrow corridors in a white-kuckled fury. If you don't grab those bumpers, you're about to have a tough two seconds. It also mixes things up in other ways, such as a stage in space in which your movements drift more than usual. It all adds up to a really fun, aggressive experience that has few rivals in its speed and pacing, such as Download on PC Engine.

Played this one, the arcade game, or Air Buster?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 03-07-2016 at 02:43 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I have not, but I know what TG16 game I need to look for now...

When I first saw this topic I thought "didn't Weird Video Games mention this one recently?" but that's Aero Fighters aka Sonic Wings. I wonder how many people bought this game because they thought it was Aero Fighters.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I have not, but I know what TG16 game I need to look for now...

When I first saw this topic I thought "didn't Weird Video Games mention this one recently?" but that's Aero Fighters aka Sonic Wings. I wonder how many people bought this game because they thought it was Aero Fighters.
    I could see that happening... though I'd be thrilled to find out that somebody mistook it for a shooting gallery game where you gun down Aero the Acro-bat.

I definitely prefer the Turbografx version, but the Genesis (Air Buster) is no slouch, and is way cheaper.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Awwww.... I actually liked Aero the Acrobat, back in the day. Revisiting them now, his games aren't exactly amazing (and contrary to what my childhood self would've said, the first is definitely the better) but they're still solid platformers.

The character and his mythology tho, needed some work.... Aero 2 made it plainly obvious that nobody involved had any effing clue where to take this guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Obey!

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    Awwww.... I actually liked Aero the Acrobat, back in the day. Revisiting them now, his games aren't exactly amazing (and contrary to what my childhood self would've said, the first is definitely the better) but they're still solid platformers.

The character and his mythology tho, needed some work.... Aero 2 made it plainly obvious that nobody involved had any effing clue where to take this guy.
    I don't have any real issue with Aero the Acro-bat, but I have to say that given the chance to shoot him and Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel with a light gun, I'd take it for kicks.