Name:	20160312_235701.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	8644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160312_235745.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	8645
    Astyanax is basically the Turbografx classic Legendary Axe supplanted to the NES. It's a side scrolling action platformer starring a boy, the titular Astyanax, swept into a magical world by a fairy named Cutie to rid it of the evil ruler Blackhorn. Super in-depth story aside, Astyanax wields a mighty axe which can be upgraded to a mightier claymore whose power is dictated by a constantly replenishing meter after each swing in a system that will feel familiar to both Legendary Axe fans and Secret of Mana/Evermore fans. The more full the meter, the better the attack.

Your attack meter can be extended with powerups permanently, which are found in totem statues that are eerily like those in Legendary Axe. Unlike that game, though, you also have a special attack meter that allows you to release a magical wave, damaging all on-screen foes. When you kill most enemies, they explode in a horizontal blast in almost exactly the same fashion as... yep. That's pretty much your arsenal, but it's all you need.

The levels are fairly brief, and typically offer few dangers more than a bottomless pit can present. Enemies tend to go down easily once you've gotten a feel for your range. The tougher contests come from mini-bosses at the end of each stage and at the final stage of each level, a big boss, as you kill one of Blackhorn's lieutenants. These are pretty fair, and much easier than Legendary Axe's monsters, but Astyanax is more cruel in that there are no checkpoints. Die anywhere in the stage, and it's back to the beginning.

With big sprites, good control, and goofy cutscenes that rival the butchered concept of Blaster Master, Astyanax is a really fun action game, and as many NES fans aren't as familiar with Legendary Axe, it won't feel like a ripoff to most folks. Still, as knock-offs go, Astyanax is a solid one, and doesn't embarrass its forefather. For anyone looking for a nice, arcade-y experience like Legendary Axe or Rastan, Astyanax is easy to come by and plays well.

Played it?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I always found it weird how in the NES version, "Astyanax" became the main character's name (in what country is "Astyanax" a normal name parents would give their kids?) The original arcade game was called The Astyan Ax, making it clear that the title refers to the thing he does his choppin' with, not the hero himself.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I always found it weird how in the NES version, "Astyanax" became the main character's name (in what country is "Astyanax" a normal name parents would give their kids?) The original arcade game was called The Astyan Ax, making it clear that the title refers to the thing he does his choppin' with, not the hero himself.
    I've only played the game once, LONG ago, but doesn't the protagonist touch on this in the prologue? I recall him saying something about how unusual the name is that his parents gave him. I could be remembering it wrong though.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

I always found it weird how in the NES version, "Astyanax" became the main character's name (in what country is "Astyanax" a normal name parents would give their kids?)
    Ancient Greece, apparently.

The original arcade game was called The Astyan Ax, making it clear that the title refers to the thing he does his choppin' with, not the hero himself.
    And here's where things get weird.

The original title of the game is The Lord of King. The arcade game was retitled The Astyanax in the US (there's no evidence anywhere that I've seen that the name Astyanax was separated into Astyan Ax - the arcade flyer and the title screen both read "Astyanax"). The name change may have been to tie it in with the NES release, as both games were released right around the same time.

I understand that "The Lord of King" is a really awkward title, but honestly, who at Jaleco thought that retitling their game with a nearly unpronounceable name would be better? Of course, this was from the same era that gave us games with names like Daedalian Opus and shooters with unrelated banjo playing hillbillies on the cover, so there's that.

Fun fact: in the Japanese arcade game (and maybe the Famicom game too, not sure), the hero is named "Roche" and wields the "mythical Fire Axe."

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

If there is a space inserted in the title somewhere, that sounds like it was just a mistake or an attempt at being punny. Well, I guess the title is punny regardless, considering the character wields an ax and the game is a rip-off of Legendary Axe. If anything, I think that's why they'd change the title from The Lord of King, to make it sound more similar to Legendary Axe and possibly attract fans of that game. Well, also to avoid potential outcry from Christians, haha.

But yeah, it's obvious that the name is a reference to the character from the story of the Trojan War. He's not a terribly well-known character, not like Helen, Hector, Achilles, etc, but if you're familiar with the Iliad, the name will ring a bell. "The Lord of King" is actually a (poor) translation of Astyanax, which isn't the character's birth name (Scamandrius) but rather a nickname. That Wikipedia article above offers the translations "high king" and "overlord of the city". But I don't know if that means the Japanese developers had Astyanax in mind from the beginning, or if some Greek mythology nerd at Jaleco USA saw an opportunity and ran with it, haha.

The name isn't too hard to pronounce. Like most terms in Greek, it's just composed of a boatload of tiny syllables. Breaks up like As-ty-a-nax. You can hear a recording here: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/astyanax

Anyway, as for the game itself (the NES version at least), I always thought it didn't play that great. Just kinda sloppy. The Ninja Gaiden-style cutscenes are cool, though, even if the story is pure cheese, and the music is excellent.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I never really played much of the NES game, I didn't think much of it so I moved onto other games instead. Maybe I'll go back to it to try it out again. I actually like the Legendary Axe games on the Turbografx, this NES game is not related to them.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I never really played much of the NES game, I didn't think much of it so I moved onto other games instead. Maybe I'll go back to it to try it out again. I actually like the Legendary Axe games on the Turbografx, this NES game is not related to them.
    Well... it sort of is. The original designer of Legendary Axe was the lead designer of the Astyanax arcade game as well, which Jaleco then ported, so in a way it's kind of Legendary Axe's step-child. I didn't talk about the arcade game really, though, as I've never had the chance to play it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

I remember the advertisement for this game, comparing this game to 16-bit game graphics. Sure the sprites are large but there isn't really any animation to speak of. The characters weapon just spins in place and the enemies just shift back and forth like a cardboard cut out. Music was another thing. It was hard to tell if you were fighting a mid-level boss or the end of the stage boss by listening to the BGM. Usually game music would clue you in on that but wasn't very memorable or distinct here.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The origin of the name is much more interesting than the game itself. I played it again a couple of months ago, and my impression from years ago was confirmed. It is a mediocre game at best, the gameplay is predictable, the jumping sometimes awkward, and the hits cheap. It is a simplistic game but not easy. I could only finish it with the invincibility cheat. The one outstanding aspect is ist graphics, they are really nice, but they don't save the game from mediocre gameplay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    Well... it sort of is. The original designer of Legendary Axe was the lead designer of the Astyanax arcade game as well, which Jaleco then ported, so in a way it's kind of Legendary Axe's step-child. I didn't talk about the arcade game really, though, as I've never had the chance to play it.
    The two games (Leg.Axe & Astyanax) are related, and a third obvious sequel was made for the Mega Drive, but never released: Vasum / Dando:

http://www.chrismcovell.com/secret/M...0Q3.html#vasum

Although I find Axe a lot of fun, I somehow find Asty unfair and/or boring. I wonder why.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Also, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the game where at the end, the hero falls in love with a fairy and they run off together?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Well, as a reward for his bravery and her sacrifice, Cutie (the fairy) is brought to life as a human in the real world and is waiting for Astyanax when he returns in the NES version, and they have a big ol' hug. Not sure how the arcade game ends or if it's any different on Famicom.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I must be thinking of a different game then, cuz I swear there's a game on the NES where a normal-sized hero and a fairy-sized fairy are implied to have a romance. I might be thinking of Landstalker on the Genesis, but why I'd be confusing that with an NES side-scroller is anybody's guess.