Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Vita games still in stores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Vita games still in stores?

So its pretty safe to say that the Vita is a flop since Sony even admitted that they have no plans for the handheld. My question is do stores around your area still carry any games? The Walmarts I've checked stopped carrying games and the vita itself except for the insanely priced memory cards. The EB games barely carry anything and theres one store which is a small chain that does carry a decent selection.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My local Target stopped carrying any Vita games about 6 months ago. My Best Buy has about 10-15 games usually with 75% of them being used. My Fry's has about 25 different Vita games or so on average. Amazon is really the only way to go for U.S. games nowadays. If you're into imports than Play-Asia, Nin-Nin, and Solaris are all great options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My local Wal-Mart just got a restock of the handhelds. Still PSTV's, handhelds, and a small selection of titles. Even still a couple of PSP Go's gathering dust in the locked case, still too expensive despite the words clearance clearly labeled for both.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Sony just pulled the plug on the PSTV, so grab one of those if you want one. I don't go to them often, but there's a small Vita section at every GameStop I visit near me. But for many years, Amazon has been where I primarily buy current gen games, so it doesn't really make a difference to me how present Vita stuff is in brick and mortar stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I saw a few at Target but they're not being pushy about it anymore giving it up front shelf space, but other stores still do in small numbers for the most part new and those who do it used too. Online is the best bet if you want to own the game and not just lease it as a download on an expensive proprietary memory card Sony makes.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Actually, yeah, there are surprisingly many. I counted 17 stores within 5 miles of my house that I know of that have Vita games in stock, and quite a few more if I expand that radius to twenty miles. Maybe I shouldn't bitch so much about how game stores suck so bad to my friends. St Louis has a pretty active scene, I guess. I'm just bitter that my favorite store closed a couple of years back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I get being hurt by a place going bad or out of business. My favorite in town here since early 2003 when I found it only about a year after I returned here in 2013 started charging at the level of ebay thanks to half price books marking everything highest paid BIN listings because when they tried not to everyone picked them clean and nothing came in which could ruin them forcing their hand. I don't buy much there anymore because of it as I'd rather not waste my time and gas when I could sit on my ass and wait a few days for the mail to do its job. Thankfully they have movies, CDs, and other junk I like so I still go, but it's like once every month or two instead of every week or two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

In the UK, cex definitely have them but I don't think you can get any new ones from GAME anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wouldn't you rather have digital games on it anyway? I would.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Vita memory cards are both small and overpriced, so nah. I feel having physical copies for Vita is more important than with most systems that have a digital option. I save my memory card space for games that are digital-only.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flojomojo View Post
    Fuck no

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Considering the "support" the Vita gets from Sony, I'm sure it won't be all that long before it's not possible to redownload PSN games you've bought. Hoping it gets hacked as wide open as the PSP once Sony gets close to pulling life support.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sony really sent the Vita out to die, and even though they stopped supporting it, the Vita could be doing better if it actually had Japanese support. Now this is the fault of Sony, true, but let's look at some publishers like NIS, Atlus, XSeed, and Aksys putting for the effort to actually deliver to their fanbase. But then look at shitty management of Square Enix, who's released many games for the Vita but don't release them in the west because they're too afraid to take a risk and support fans, despite how big of a name the company is. Just their newest games. Final Fantasy Adventure, This is Setsuna, Romancing Saga 2 are all Vita games but Square refuses to release them in the west. Whether or not they'll make millions upon millions of dollars, they'll atleast make money and continue to have popular support with their fanbase rather than losing fans as they have over the years. I mean look at NIS. Almost every game they publish gets released in the west, usually with full voice acting during story and side events. NIS isn't even as high profile of a name as Square Enix, but they've supported their fanbase by releasing Disgaea 3, 4, Demon Gaze, every Neptunia game, and they're a year behind, but all the Atelier games on the Vita. They're releasing Stranger of Sword City and Grand Kingdom to the Vita as well. Square Enix is a literal fucking joke to many of the online fans with constant quotes like "please be excited." Please be excited for what? You don't release shit over here.

Even Namco Bandai is heavily supporting the Vita since late last gen. They've been releasing many PS4 games in the west and if it's had a Vita version they've released that too, even if it was digital only. Hell, for games that they might never even decide to publish, they've still been localizing them and releasing English language versions for the Asian releases. If by some chance Gundam Breaker 3 isn't released in the west, I'm going to purchase it for the PS4, but I can purchase it for the Vita as well. Same goes for the PS4/Vita Super Robot Wars. The least Square Enix could do is localize the games and allow people who are willing to pay the extra cost to import to do so. Localization costs really aren't that much when you consider you're only paying out a couple translators and a couple people to edit font types and insert the text into the game. Hell, run the stuff through Google translate like Namco Bandai did with the Legend of Heroes PSP games and Sword Arts Online Hollow Fragment on the Vita. Atleast they're giving the fans the chance to give them money and they're both gaining a loyal fanbase and profiting, even if not by much.

Let's even take a step back and look at a successful product like the 3DS, and again, look at Square Enix. Except when localizing a shitty Final Fantasy spinoff like Explorers(Theatrhythm is good) or a Kingdom Hearts game, Square refuses to localize anything for the west. The fans have begged for years for the Dragon Quest 7 remake, they begged for many games. Square Enix constantly stated they aren't sure how successful how it will be in the west and didn't want to release the game, despite how well Dragon Quest 9 sold in the west, and even if they didn't sell as well as expected, the other remakes still turned a profit. But Dragon Quest 4, 5, 6, and 9 weren't even localized by Square. Nintendo took the risk to localize them and publish them. Bravely Default? Nintendo took the risk to localize and publish the game, and despite selling so well, Square Enix STILL wouldn't consider the second game in the west. Which recently Nintendo announced that they're publishing Bravely Second, Dragon Quest 7, and Dragon Quest 8. Don't think those pricks at Square Enix. Despite not liking Nintendo as a company because imo they show disrespect to their fanbase for a lot of their decisions, I do show my gratitude when they do something like this and I will be purchasing every one of these games eventually.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-16-2016 at 12:14 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Uhh, so basically that was a rant specifically about Square Enix and has nothing to do with the Vita not getting Japanese support. Square Enix =/= all of Japan's game publishers. The Vita is doing pretty well in Japan, and in the West, localized Japanese games is practically all the Vita gets in recent years (not counting indie stuff). Like you said yourself, there are several Japanese companies heavily supporting the Vita. (PS: NIS America stopped localizing Neptunia games a while ago. That's Idea Factory International's territory. And they're another publisher showing a lot of love to the Vita.)

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Localization costs really aren't that much when you consider you're only paying out a couple translators and a couple people to edit font types and insert the text into the game. Hell, run the stuff through Google translate like Namco Bandai did with the Legend of Heroes PSP games and Sword Arts Online Hollow Fragment on the Vita.
    You have no idea how localization works, do you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Uhh, so basically that was a rant specifically about Square Enix and has nothing to do with the Vita not getting Japanese support. Square Enix =/= all of Japan's game publishers. The Vita is doing pretty well in Japan, and in the West, localized Japanese games is practically all the Vita gets in recent years (not counting indie stuff). Like you said yourself, there are several Japanese companies heavily supporting the Vita. (PS: NIS America stopped localizing Neptunia games a while ago. That's Idea Factory International's territory. And they're another publisher showing a lot of love to the Vita.)
    The point is that it could be doing better if there weren't publishers that do a half ass job in the west(or in SE's case, in general.) Square Enix isn't the only publisher, but they have a lot of games that'd sell well enough to turn a higher profit than the other publishers I mentioned off brand name alone.

You have no idea how localization works, do you?
    Sure I do, but localizing is not the same thing as publishing. I didn't mention copyright costs, publishing costs, printing costs, etc, which is what I assume you're inferring. If they're already going to release an Asian or Japanese version, adding English text to the version in that country would atleast allow them to avoid the other costs if they're not willing to take the risks these smaller companies have.

The Google translate thing was a joke. The localization for Sword Art Online Hollow Fragment(I played the English Asian version) and Namco published Legend of Heroes games were pretty poor though and felt like it did indeed come from something you'd read from Google translate.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-16-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when there were free games on PSN I loved it. that is untill I ran out of space and the price of those cards were so high...honestly why havent they lowered the price or why is it so freaking high?
    Last edited by PizzaKat; 03-16-2016 at 04:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Captive audience, don't think anyone else makes a vita memory card so they can just hose you all they want. It's kind of the same argument I make against digital rental games, they can choose to barely put up a sale on rare occasion or just leave stuff at full price which all three of them are guilty of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Captive audience, don't think anyone else makes a vita memory card so they can just hose you all they want. It's kind of the same argument I make against digital rental games, they can choose to barely put up a sale on rare occasion or just leave stuff at full price which all three of them are guilty of.
    It's the same problem that they had with the PSP. They could have easily used a very common storage card, but wanted to rake in the profits by offering their own proprietary cards instead.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

You can get a memory card adapter to use Micro SD cards for the PSP. Several brands make them. It wasn't just the PSP that used this type of memory format which is why these adapters exist.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-M.../dp/B00B6DYDZS

I don't think there's one yet for the Vita. Sony did announce that they would be making an adapter for the Vita to use normal SD cards, of course they posted that as an April Fools joke. Just a kick to the balls as that's what Sony likes to do.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/vi...age.453884799/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I don't think there's one yet for the Vita. Sony did announce that they would be making an adapter for the Vita to use normal SD cards, of course they posted that as an April Fools joke. Just a kick to the balls as that's what Sony likes to do.

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/vi...age.453884799/
    Might be best if you didn't throw out accusations as fact if you're unsure. Yes, the link says "http://blog.playstation" but that's not where it leads. It's not redirected by Sony, and you can see that before you even click on the link if you pull your head out of your own ass. No offense.

http://www.google.com

How about you click on my link and see if it goes to Google. It won't, even though the text says Google. Don't worry, not sending you anywhere unsafe, but that's the same thing the person who used the April Fools image did. Look at the address it directs you to before you click on the link.

*edit* Changed the link from Yahoo to an old meme. Click it.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 03-19-2016 at 09:04 AM.