Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sony Vita games still in stores?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    You can get a memory card adapter to use Micro SD cards for the PSP. Several brands make them. It wasn't just the PSP that used this type of memory format which is why these adapters exist.

http://www.amazon.com/SANOXY%C2%AE-M.../dp/B00B6DYDZS

[/url]
    Yeah, but that was something that came out years later, right?

You were pretty much stuck with Sony's expensive proprietary memory sticks until other options became available many years later.

http://www.cnet.com/news/using-cheap...as-is-a-no-no/
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-19-2016 at 02:05 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, but that was something that came out years later, right?

You were pretty much stuck with Sony's expensive proprietary memory sticks until other options became available many years later.

http://www.cnet.com/news/using-cheap...as-is-a-no-no/
    Yeah, but now is the time to start buying old PSP games. They're all near worthless now along with the systems. I pretty much just start buying systems after they're discontinued.

As for that April Fools it seems I was wrong, it wasn't posted by Sony. I spent more time searching for a suitable adapter than checking out in detail every link on that page. That adapter is real, it's just for smartphones and tablets. It's still shit of Sony to keep using expensive proprietary cards while other companies like Nintendo have been using standard SD cards for years.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Sony's moved to SD cards for their other devices. No one's happy with it, but you can understand why they used yet another proprietary card for the Vita when it wasn't long before the PSP was hacked and most people pirated everything they played. Dissidia Final Fantasy was pirated five million times, five times more than the game sold. While you could make the argument that some people wouldn't have bought these games if there was no ability to pirate you could also make the argument that most would have. The amount of money lost due to piracy for just that one game was in the multi millions if atleast 1/5 of the people who pirated it actually purchased it, think of the amount pirated since the PSP got hacked. So yeah, new proprietary memory card. Anyone who was in charge of the development process of the Vita and making sure the same didn't happen to the Vita as it did the PSP would have done the same.

And yeah. Nintendo uses standard format SD cards, but Nintendo does some bs every time you turn around. I especially like how they slandered the other publishers who released DLC last gen when they didn't really have much of an option for it but this gen comes along and Nintendo has disc locked content through $13 toys. Day one DLC, some of it locking out content programmed in the game like Fantasy Life's end game content, DLC that is higher priced than the game Fire Emblem Awakening($40+,) Hyrule Warriors Legends($38, so almost,) and there's already over $20 of DLC for Fire Emblem Fates. It wasn't really bad with Pokemon as it's the same game either version with minor differences, but Fire Emblem Fates costs $100 to actually get the full game unless of course you got a special edition that couldn't be found anywhere days after the announcement. Nintendo purposefully gimping the release of their portables(no second analog on the 3DS and no XL even though they knew everyone wanted it after the DSi Xl, and then no second analog on the XL which was released after the analog attachment. Or how about the slap in the face to Zelda fans with Twilight Princess releasing a month earlier on the Wii in order to push sales, but this is already after the game was delayed a year for the Wii release to begin with. With all Nintendo's bullshit, I don't see how anyone could ever bring Nintendo up as being a shining example when they're done far worse than Sony's Playstation branding ever has.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Nintendo is never going to release an XL out of the gate, that's just obvious. They're going to release the standard version and then see about upgrades and premium versions later on. Not "everyone" wants an XL. Personally, I like my DS Lite more than my DSi XL. I hate how blown up and fuzzy the picture looks, and it's a big, bulky system. So you have plenty of people who are passionate about games who don't prefer an XL, and then you have all the more casual gamers who wouldn't care to spend the extra money and parents who don't want to give a premium version of a system to a child who may break or lose the system anyway, on top of the fact that children have small hands and can better handle a non-XL. Keep in mind just how large a percentage the DS/3DS user base is children (hell, the 2DS was basically solely designed for children).

If you don't want to buy multiple versions of a Nintendo handheld and really want a specific model that'll come later on past the first model's launch, then it's been common knowledge for a LONG time that you wait with Nintendo.

Besides, it's silly to act as if this is solely a Nintendo issue because the PSP has four different models, and the Vita has two. Heck, I would argue that there are more downsides to owning a launch PSP than a launch DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Yeah, but now is the time to start buying old PSP games. They're all near worthless now along with the systems. I pretty much just start buying systems after they're discontinued.

As for that April Fools it seems I was wrong, it wasn't posted by Sony. I spent more time searching for a suitable adapter than checking out in detail every link on that page. That adapter is real, it's just for smartphones and tablets. It's still shit of Sony to keep using expensive proprietary cards while other companies like Nintendo have been using standard SD cards for years.
    That's sort of a different subject. I waited until the PSP 3000 came out and lugged around a 4GB memory card until the 8 GB card dropped in price.

The Vita has a lot of good games available through PSN, but having a memory card big enough to have a dozen digital games is way too expensive. Spending over $250 for a Vita and a decent sized memory card is/was probably a major turnoff for most people thinking about getting it. I know it was a turnoff for me, even though I think the Vita is a really nice piece of hardware. I'd really like to hunt down an older model that has the OLED screen, since the LED screen isn't as nice.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-20-2016 at 04:37 PM.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I have a 4GB Vita memory card (as small as they come; it was bundled with my Vita), and I make do. If you get most everything you can physically, it's not a problem. You also don't have to have every game downloaded at once and stored on your Vita. The list of what you've bought is in the PSN system, so you can just download what you're going to actively play at the time and delete what you're done with. And if you really don't want to lose your save files (since, unfortunately, you can't delete JUST the game file and keep your saves) or if you want to spare yourself the trouble of downloading later, you can store your games on your PC and just transfer them back to your Vita when needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I see less and less Vita game. So my only way to get them is through online store like Amazon, Bestbuy, & gamestop. Shame really. The system has potential, but Sony drop the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I have a 4GB Vita memory card (as small as they come; it was bundled with my Vita), and I make do. If you get most everything you can physically, it's not a problem. You also don't have to have every game downloaded at once and stored on your Vita. The list of what you've bought is in the PSN system, so you can just download what you're going to actively play at the time and delete what you're done with. And if you really don't want to lose your save files (since, unfortunately, you can't delete JUST the game file and keep your saves) or if you want to spare yourself the trouble of downloading later, you can store your games on your PC and just transfer them back to your Vita when needed.
    I think I have a couple of games that I can install on a Vita, stored on my PS3's HDD. I guess the idea was to have the take your game with you thing, where if you bought a digital copy of a PS3 game, you'd also get a digital copy for the Vita.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 03-20-2016 at 08:21 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I was in Best Buy yesterday looking for Blu-ray's and I walked by the so-called Vita section which had 3 games total. A used MLB 14 w/ no cover, MLB 15 and the Persona 4 Dancing Special Ed with the security clamps on it so tightly that the box was severely crushed.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Sony's moved to SD cards for their other devices. No one's happy with it, but you can understand why they used yet another proprietary card for the Vita when it wasn't long before the PSP was hacked and most people pirated everything they played. Dissidia Final Fantasy was pirated five million times, five times more than the game sold.
    How many copies do games normally sell? It used to be an uncommon accomplishment to sell over 1 million copies of any game, or else every game would have been a Player's Choice or Greatest Hits release.

As for the console's failure, I find it odd how piracy is supposedly the reason why the PSP failed. The Wii was hacked for piracy just as widely if not more yet that console was still a major commercial success. It's almost like piracy wasn't why the PSP failed, back when the PSP first came out most people I knew who bought it only used it for a portable emulation machine. Not to play pirated PSP games, just to emulate old consoles or rip and play their PS1 games. If it couldn't be hacked even fewer people would have bought it. It has a niche appeal to gamers almost like the Virtual Boy, 3DO, or CDi.

As for all the other complaints you've mentioned, that's pretty much a problem with all modern games. I'm really not into modern games much at all and I'm not planning to buy anything unless I come across it cheap. Day one DLC, I've heard that problem with all consoles. How about having to download updates before being able to play a game? If you only have a couple hours of free time and you just want to play a game, do you really want to spend hours to first download updates and patches before you can play it? The whole reason to own a console is so you don't have to bother with that, you might as well just stick to computer games then and save some cash and space by avoiding a console entirely. I've bashed Nintendo plenty in other threads for the various 3DS versions and with Xenoblade only working on one of them. All of the console makers are generally lousy these days in my eyes.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

The PSP was never a failure in the first place. It may have not enjoyed DS-level success, but it still did solidly in the US and even better yet in Japan. It did better than every other non-Nintendo handheld that has ever existed (perhaps that's not saying much, though), and its hardware sales were about on par with the GBA. So far, only the GB/GBC and DS have the PSP beat.

I think you may be letting the Vita's lack of success color how you view the PSP if you think that system also performed poorly. Piracy definitely hurt software sales (which was also the case with the PS1, to put things into perspective), but the system overall was a success.