Thread: How much do critiic and player reviews effect your decision to buy a game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default How much do critiic and player reviews effect your decision to buy a game?

I know we all don't want to spend our money a game we won't like but have you ever just buy said game cause you got a feeling you might enjoy it? Or to expand the question even further has anyone bought a game lately based on just looking at the back and reading what it is. Almost like the 8bit days. I got Mind Zero on Vita the other day. Im hoping its decent

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I usually look up a little bit of the games I'm interested in and seeing some gameplay of them if I'm going to purchase them. Rarely do I ever discount a game simply because it was reviewed poorly, otherwise I would have missed out on a lot of good games that got Metacritic scores that were 70 or lower.

On that same note, there are some games that I've purchased simply because of the high Metacritic scores that I think have been absolute garbage. I liked the LBP games and Media Molecule released Tearaway which had 90s on the Vita and high 80s on the PS4 rerelease. I purchased the Vita version when it was $15, and then later on purchased the PS4 for $15, finally ended up playing the PS4 version. After 3 hours I couldn't take playing it anymore and sold it for $15. Probably could have got more for it, but it's around $20 new frequently, so I sold it for what I got it for. Despite how high the game is rated, this is one of the most boring games I've played this gen, so boring that the game has put me to sleep several times while playing it. Additionally, this game has a camera that's so bad, it rivals the camera in Mario 64, and this is a game that came out on the Vita compared to a game on the N64. There's other games that are pretty mediocre that are rated well and I've finally played. Outside of the Batman Arkham combat, Shadows of Mordor is a boring fetch quest ridden game. Assassin's Creed Black Flag is decent when exploring on your ship or on the islands outside of towns and villages and out of combat. The areas you explore outside of towns are more like Uncharted or Tomb Raider where there's only specifc areas you can climb rather than automated and aimless.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I don't think I've ever really been won over or dissuaded by a review that I can recall. I usually have a good idea of what I'm gonna do ahead of time. Now, there is the case here or there where a review is how I learn a game exists or about a feature I didn't know of, and in those cases they've influenced me.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Accidentally hit the "back" button on my phone after posting. Oops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I have to admit I don't trust paid AAA known sites for reviews, too many times being caught doing various practices. There has been the bought, paid and if not you're fired reviews that iced Gerstman over at Gamespot. You also have those who don't get caught and lie up a storm about an average game. Then there's the fanboy reviewers on those sites who also do suck up for perks where as you see stuff like a GTA4 get like a 10/10, then they re-review as a 'is it still fun' thing 3+mo later and it gets 7s once it's too late to get busted for it. I'm just kind of over it.

When I want a review to trust that would affect me I run to amateur, second tier, or private reviewers -- often it's a good mix of people who had to buy it so they'll be more bitchy or loving if it's garbage, mediocre or good. Even when it's not, you have your system specific sites that'll be fairly more critical like your NintendoLife / NintendoWorldReport or PushSquare(for Sony) type locations. And then you have those totally loner sites that do nice coverage on things too like TinyCartridge. I'm not saying I'd ignore a big site, but if I'm going to trust them at all I'm going to fire up a few via metacritic, and then I'll see how it rates and pick a higher and lower to get a feel. From there I'll look for overlapping complaints versus those that stand out as usually if many people whine it's an issue, not being manipulated.

Kind of seems I suppose complex, but I don't buy much new anymore, no time for it a lot, less time to lose money on crap, and less patience to put up with crap too before getting mad I wasted money. I'm usually second hand older, really much with Gameboy anymore so I can sift over 10-15+ years of personal reviews from game owners on old stuff and see what blows, and the faqs help back up complaints or not reading pieces where someone may rage over something.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Members at various forums usually give good advice on games, and I find things like Giant Bomb Quick Look videos and related discussion on the Giant Bombcast let me know if I'd like a game.

It's not 100%, but it works for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've read so much good of tearaway. Im going to try the Vita version hopefully its not boring like you say

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If I were to go by any reviews it would be from independent reviewers, either videos on youtube or written reviews from independent sites. Usually now I just pick up games cheap at garage sales and thrift stores and try them out, if I like them I keep them and if I don't I sell them off. I really don't buy many games anymore in general.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    I've read so much good of tearaway. Im going to try the Vita version hopefully its not boring like you say
    I've seen a lengthy playthrough of it online, which usually gives me a good feel for how a game plays. It looks like it's an art game. It looks great visually, it looks unique like they tried something new, but it comes across somewhat bland as the characters don't have much of a personality or identity and it's leisurely paced. It seems like it was made to win awards, not just be something fun to play. Or it's meant for really little kids like toddlers, in terms of atmosphere at least. It's too bad as it really looks like the creators put a lot of effort into making it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I don't think i've ever used any site at for reviews at all.Well for a time it was gametrailers before they got shut down.Now,either look at what other say at the message boards i frequent or a independent reviewer on youtube.Mostly as a just in case if i'm not sure on buying the game.Since any given paid AAA site will often exaggerate on how good or bad a game is.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it depends of the genre of the game.
    I go to YT, watch some videos about new games
    If I find something interesting - I check only this game.
    But you need to watch some trailers, because you can rate the gameplay
    Or if the game has demo-version - I install it and play.
    Only you can choose what you want.
    Reviews is just rating of the reviewer, not yours.