Thread: Original Xbox won't read particular game (3 copies)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Original Xbox won't read particular game (3 copies)

I was recently given an original Xbox by a friend of mine. The console was rather dirty when I received it, so I took it apart and cleaned it all out and wiped down the lens etc. The system has been working great and playing any game that I've thrown at it for the past month. Fast forward to about a week ago when I went to go play a copy of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I purchased off eBay. I throw in the disc and immediately get the "disc is dirty or damaged" message. I figure it was probably the disc since it had some visible scratches on the surface that were quite deep, so I sent it back. I quickly get in a second copy, throw it in the Xbox, and same thing. This disc also had some pretty bad scratches so I figure it's probably just my luck with sellers on eBay. I decide to purchase a third copy and sure enough I get the same message as before. Yet this disc is near flawless. So I'm a bit puzzled now as to why my system won't read this particular game. I've played close to 10 different games since I've had the Xbox and have yet to experience any other problems. The only thing I had happen was Jade Empire froze once during a long session of playing. Is my disc drive to blame? Thanks in advance!

Edit: It sounds like it could be a laser calibration issue. I'll try the "pot tweak" fix and update once again.
    Last edited by Carts; 03-22-2016 at 03:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    I was recently given an original Xbox by a friend of mine. The console was rather dirty when I received it, so I took it apart and cleaned it all out and wiped down the lens etc. The system has been working great and playing any game that I've thrown at it for the past month. Fast forward to about a week ago when I went to go play a copy of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I purchased off eBay. I throw in the disc and immediately get the "disc is dirty or damaged" message. I figure it was probably the disc since it had some visible scratches on the surface that were quite deep, so I sent it back. I quickly get in a second copy, throw it in the Xbox, and same thing. This disc also had some pretty bad scratches so I figure it's probably just my luck with sellers on eBay. I decide to purchase a third copy and sure enough I get the same message as before. Yet this disc is near flawless. So I'm a bit puzzled now as to why my system won't read this particular game. I've played close to 10 different games since I've had the Xbox and have yet to experience any other problems. The only thing I had happen was Jade Empire froze once during a long session of playing. Is my disc drive to blame? Thanks in advance!

Edit: It sounds like it could be a laser calibration issue. I'll try the "pot tweak" fix and update once again.
    Very likely the disc reader. Perhaps the game requires a lot of read head moves throwing off the disc reader if worn out?

Best to get a console that does NOT have the horrible Thomson disc reader. I prefer the Phillips since the Samsung has eject issues.

Original Xbox Guide - Which Revision Console
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...755098#p755098
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Very likely the disc reader. Perhaps the game requires a lot of read head moves throwing off the disc reader if worn out?

Best to get a console that does NOT have the horrible Thomson disc reader. I prefer the Phillips since the Samsung has eject issues.

Original Xbox Guide - Which Revision Console
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...755098#p755098
    Thanks for the reply CRTGAMER. Yes, I do have the horrible Thomson drive that was put in the 1.0 versions. At this point I'm thinking the laser is wearing out and the intensity just needs to be adjusted, though part of me would just rather buy a drive from a manufacturer other than Thomson. I'll see what happens with the pot tweak and maybe it helps extend the life of the drive a little while longer.

I appreciate the help.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Samsung drives were the best. They have eject issues? Most of the issues are bad motherboard traces on the systems which often had the Samsungs.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Check the belt..there is a belt that opens the tray and raises the laser mechanism..That belt is notorious to get weak/stretched...you can get the belt on ebay cheap..

If you open the tray and pull the plug on the system the tray will stay open where you can get to the belt..I have to take the top off the system and disc drive however to get to the belt..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-DVD-Drive-...-/191835153824

Note: it's not a seller I've dealt with just showing what I buy...I've fixed a ton of Original Xboxes...360s,and even my Sega CD with these belts..
    .................................................. .........
    Thomson drives though just go bad,I dunno what happens with them-I've had so many that just won't read a game,I have one listed on ebay now..
    ...I'll find the cleanest Thomson drive in an old xbox and the system won't read discs no matter even if I change the belt..

The belt in the Thomson dive is twice as long as other xbox drives ..

I thought at one time people desired the Thomson drive for some reason?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    Check the belt..there is a belt that opens the tray and raises the laser mechanism..That belt is notorious to get weak/stretched...you can get the belt on ebay cheap..

If you open the tray and pull the plug on the system the tray will stay open where you can get to the belt..I have to take the top off the system and disc drive however to get to the belt..
    Ya I checked the belt when I originally opened up the drive to clean the lens, it was still very snug. I even re-applied new grease to the gears and haven't had any problems with the tray itself just yet.

As far as the pot tweak, it didn't make any difference and still fails to read the game. I went ahead and bought a brand new laser off eBay that I should be getting in soon. I figured I would try the $8 option before jumping into a $40 Samsung drive.

Thanks for the help.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I don't know where to go from here. I installed the new Thomson laser a few days ago and I saw no difference. Every game played fine like before but with the exception of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. After going through that, I decided to buy a Philips DVD Drive (ver. 2) because I've read they're nearly as good as the Samsung drives. Also saved me about $20. I plug it in and try a few games to find that they work great, even seemed to boot up faster than on the Thomson drive. Next I put in Baldur's Gate, wait a few seconds for the game to load, aaaaaand nothing . I get the same old Dirty Disc Error I've been getting before. I tested a few copies and same result.

So just to recap. I've cleaned out my drives, did the pot tweak, tried brand new lasers, and now a different DVD drive...

Any ideas? Thanks

59 6F 75 72 20 48 44 44 20 61 64 64 69 6E 67 20 65 6D 62 61 72 72 61 73 73 69 6E 67 20 64 61 74 61
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can only think of three possibilities:

1. Both drives/all three lasers have a problem
    2. All three copies of your game are defective
    3. You are trying to play a non Xbox disc
    Mario says "... if you do drugs, you go to hell before you die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RP2A03 View Post
    I can only think of three possibilities:

1. Both drives/all three lasers have a problem
    2. All three copies of your game are defective
    3. You are trying to play a non Xbox disc
    When I contacted the sellers they all claimed the game had been tested and promised it worked. So that would eliminate 2 and 3.

Also, I did find something kind of odd or maybe it was just a coincidence. But the very first time I tried to play the game I got past the video intro and made it to the menu screen. I've tried the game a countless number of times since and have never been able to get past the Xbox dashboard. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'll try to get my hands on a Samsung to test. May not be worth it at this point though.

Thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Quote Originally Posted by Carts View Post
    When I contacted the sellers they all claimed the game had been tested and promised it worked. So that would eliminate 2 and 3.

Also, I did find something kind of odd or maybe it was just a coincidence. But the very first time I tried to play the game I got past the video intro and made it to the menu screen. I've tried the game a countless number of times since and have never been able to get past the Xbox dashboard. Just thought I would throw that out there.

I'll try to get my hands on a Samsung to test. May not be worth it at this point though.

Thanks
    At this point I probably would just buy a used Xbox..(try another system).I am not sure where you are located but I pass so many up at flea markets..
    I have had systems no matter what I did not read certain games for some crazy reason...
    Right now I have this Jurassic Park Xbox game-to sell on ebay yet some of my Xbox systems read the game others don't and these systems read plenty of other games so I'm stuck to the fact that the game may not work for a buyer so it sits ..

I have a HALO green xbox,new drive and it won't read some games for some reason but my other systems will..

Make sure to clean the discs too..
    also look real good at them to see if they were polished.I've had Bad luck with polished games.