Thread: Wii - HDMI versus Component

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Wii - HDMI versus Component

In trying to find the best way to maximize the video output quality from a Wii, I stumbled across listings on eBay for an adapter called Wii2HDMI. It sounds like a converter and upscaler in one which connects directly to the Wii's output port.

My questions are:
    1) What are all of the official output adapters for the Wii?
    2) Is this Wii2HDMI thing worth the $17 or should I just get some component cables for the Wii?

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

An upscaler is still working with the standard component signal, and for $17, it's more of a convenience thing rather than quality. Save the money.

Best option for Wii video quality is a Wii U.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    This.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod View Post
    An upscaler is still working with the standard component signal, and for $17, it's more of a convenience thing rather than quality. Save the money.

Definitely go the Component route if using the Wii. As posted above, the conversion to HDMI is still working with a 480p source thru the Wii. True on the WiiU, it can put out a higher resolution matched to your HDTV.

Now if you have an HD CRT, no issues of upscale.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I agree that the Wii U is the best option.

To add to what has been said, there's no official option for HDMI on the Wii. And someone made the mistake at AtariAge recently of buying one of these adapters for use with his new Wii Mini, which didn't work of course since it taps into the now non-existent component video capability of the Wii. So if by chance you want this for a Wii Mini, you can forget it.

And lastly, these cheap 3rd party Wii upscalers don't allow for pillarboxing. So unless you're only going to play widescreen enabled games (Which includes a small number of 4:3 style titles like Mega Man 9 & 10 that self-pillarbox themselves when the system is set to 16:9), stay away from these devices if you care about original aspect ratio since everything is stretched to 16:9 proportions.

There's no switch on it to enable and disable stretching for each situation and there's no way to rectify that unless you have a rare HDTV that allows you to narrow up a 16:9 HD signal down to 4:3 proportions. Wii U on the other hand not only allows for both 4:3 and 16:9 in Wii mode, it handles the selection automatically with no need for the end user to ever intervene.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-26-2016 at 07:05 PM.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

So then the best option when forgoing spending hundreds of dollars on a Wii U is to spend less than $20 on a set of good Wii component cables? Gotcha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Component Wii doesn't even compare to properly upscaled HDMI through Wii U. That is really best option for image quality.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Component Wii doesn't even compare to properly upscaled HDMI through Wii U. That is really best option for image quality.
    Yes, but will any of you sell a fully-functional Wii U to me for $20? No? Then component video it is then. After all, the original question is about the best video output FROM A WII CONSOLE. I never asked about the best video output from Wii games, I asked about the best video output from a Wii. It seems the best option for video from a Wii is component cables so that's with what I'm going to go.

16-bits, yo Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    There's no switch on it to enable and disable stretching for each situation and there's no way to rectify that unless you have a rare HDTV that allows you to narrow up a 16:9 HD signal down to 4:3 proportions.
    That's rare? I had no idea, my Samsung does it no problemo. Guess I chose the right TV ~5 years ago. Granted, my Wega won't do it, but I figured that it was just one of those things it won't do because it's old, like 1080p.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It was at one time, but not so much now.

Been checking models the past few weeks and it hasn't been uncommon to find 2015/2016 televisions that will narrow down to 4:3 proportions a HD signal, much like how most any HDTV through the years can stretch SD/ED material to 16:9 proportions. Seems to be a feature that's implemented pretty regularly these days.

It's still something to keep in mind though for the gamer considering one of these devices that prefers playing in the correct aspect ratio. If your tv can't do this to a HD signal, you're stuck playing games stretched to 16:9 proportions since these cheap scalers lack the ability to enable pillarboxing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 06-15-2016 at 05:15 PM.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Wii-U might be the bst option for the Wii but would the Wii2HDMI adapter with an older model Wii be the best option for Gamecube gaming?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

Probably

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post
    In trying to find the best way to maximize the video output quality from a Wii, I stumbled across listings on eBay for an adapter called Wii2HDMI. It sounds like a converter and upscaler in one which connects directly to the Wii's output port.

My questions are:
    1) What are all of the official output adapters for the Wii?
    2) Is this Wii2HDMI thing worth the $17 or should I just get some component cables for the Wii?

1. Composite, RF, S-Video, and Component. There is no official HDMI adapter for the Wii - only third party ones.
    2. The Wii2HDMI isn't superior nor inferior in terms of video quality to a set of good Wii component cables. However, it's a lot cleaner to set up since HMDI is a single cord as Component splits into five. Keep in mind though, that the Wii2HDMI only works for the original models of the Wii. The Wii Mini does not support Component and can't be used. I own the Wii2HDMI myself and recommend using it simply because it saves on having so many connections at the back of the tv, switchbox or whatever else your setup uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    The Wii-U might be the bst option for the Wii but would the Wii2HDMI adapter with an older model Wii be the best option for Gamecube gaming?
    If you already own the very rare Gamecube component cables, then no, there is no advantage in terms of video quality. Keep in mind the Wii2HDMI is not an upscaler - it simply converts Component signals to HDMI signals. GameCube games that don't support progressive scan will still be in 480i even via a Wii with the Wii2HDMI. GameCube games that do support progressive scan will be in 480p. However, if you don't own the GameCube component cables or simply wish for a cleaner set up, then yeah, the Wii2HDMI will be a lot cleaner.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They've revised Wii2HDMI through the years. Later models like what I own do in fact upscale. There's even a pinhole switch or whatever you'd call it like a reset switch to restore factory settings that allows you to select between 720p or 1080p.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-07-2016 at 04:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    They've revised Wii2HDMI through the years. Later models like what I own do in fact upscale. There's even a pinhole switch or whatever you'd call it like a reset switch to restore factory settings that allows you to select between 720p or 1080p.
    good information, just how to know which revs do that as they all look the same with the 3.5mm jack

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SAV2880

The only real negative I've heard about the Wii2HDMI dongles is that some people have reported that it's caused their A/V port to go out after awhile because the adapter requires a little bit more power through that port than normal Composite/Component cables require. I have no idea how you tell which ones are good as opposed to which ones are bad, it's all coming out of China after all, and the risk is pretty low considering if the Wii breaks, a replacement is what, $40 or so?

So, I'd say get it if you want the convenience of using HDMI. From everyone's description, it's still not going to be as good as using a WIi U, but that's cost prohibitive, and this isn't!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

IMHO, use component. Wouldn't the HDMI adapter introduce lag?
    Don't go away mad....just go away!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    IMHO, use component. Wouldn't the HDMI adapter introduce lag?
    Yep, HDMI was not created with video games in mind, so it indeed introduces lag.

My best option would be the Component Cables connected to an CRT EDTV or SDTV, it looks gorgeous.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!