Name:	20160326_204027.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	99.6 KB 
ID:	8740Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160326_204407.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	8741
    Android Assault: The Revenge of Bari-Arm for Sega CD is a horizontally scrolling shooter in the vein of Gate of Thunder or Thunderforce IV. In it, you control a ship that can transform into the mighty super robot, the Bari-Arm, and you must blow the shit out of everything coming your way. It may not be a gameplay revolution, but it hits in all the right places, yet has much less notoriety than, say, Keio Flying Squadron, Lords of Thunder, or Robo Aleste.

The first thing to check out in any shooter is powerups, and Android Assault features a handful of situationally useful weapons. You have the Thunder Cracker, which is basically your vulcan, a laser, homing missiles, and tough to use satellite bombs, which kinda suck unless you really freaking practice with them. Personally, I just stick with the vulcan and never look back, but the variety allows for different play styles. You change weapons by picking up colored orbs, and you can't change on the fly, so it's important to pick up only what you want. POW icons power you up, and maxing out will transform you into the Bari-Arm, which allows you to absorb an extra hit while looking kinda like the mighty Getter 1...

The most unique piece comes in the form of a charge attack, which you perform not by holding the fire button, but rather by laying off of it as if you're playing Legendary Axe or Secret of Mana. I like this, as it allows you to hold down for rapid fire while really positioning yourself and focusing entirely on movement while not pressing buttons. It's subtle, but a nice change from R-Type's hold and release. Also, another cool feature is that pressing the A button allows you to manually change your speed, which I prefer, as it can be tough to identify that movement sweet spot in some shooters.

The graphics and soundtrack are both outstanding. The sprites are big and detailed, the backgrounds use a lot of cool scrolling, and the music is loaded with rock guitar that reminds me a little of Gate of Thunder's awesome tracks. Everything here is great, from the big bosses to the sprawling stages with a lot of verticality.

It's getting expensive, but Android Assault is far removed from Keio or Snatcher in how collectors talk about it, so it may still be possible to stumble across a deal in the right circumstances. If you have it or pick it up, you'll find a high quality shooter that looks almost like a good Saturn game, sounds great, and handles like it should. I'm not saying I'd go drop $100 on it to play it tomorrow, but I've never regretted the $15 I spent on it years ago, and I don't think I'dve minded paying a bit more after finding out how much I liked it.

Played it?

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Played this once, way back when. I liked it quite a bit, and I always said this would be one of the first games I bought if I ever picked up a Sega CD.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

80% of the games you pick I love, and the other 20% I've just never played yet. You've got some good taste in games, man. I love Android Assualt. I'm a sucker for any shooter that says the name of the weapons when you switch to them. "Burning wave"...man, I love that shit. The soundtrack is awesome, too, but IIRC, it's tough as nails in later stages. I don't think I've ever beaten it. In fact, you know, I don't think I've beaten ANY SEGA CD shooters. Android Assault, Keio Flying Squadron, Lords of Thunder, Robo Alesta, Silpheed, Sol-Feace, Soul Star...

It's weird that I never committed to ending any of them; especially since it's one of my favorite genres.
    Last edited by Emperor Megas; 03-27-2016 at 11:22 PM.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    80% of the games you pick I love, and the other 20% I've just never played yet. You've got some good taste in games, man. I love Android Assualt. I'm a sucker for any shooter that says the name of the weapons when you switch to them. "Burning wave"...man, I love that shit. The soundtrack is awesome, too, but IIRC, it's tough as nails in later stages. I don't think I've ever beaten it. In fact, you know, I don't think I've been ANY SEGA CD shooters. Android Assault, Keio Flying Squadron, Lords of Thunder, Robo Alesta, Silpheed, Sol-Feace, Soul Star...

It's weird that I never committed to ending any of them; especially since it's one of my favorite genres.
    Thanks! I've gotten through Android Assault, as it's only got 7 stages, none of which are crazy long. Just a fun little shooter, and I totally agree about the voices for the powerups. It just gives that big arcade feel to the game. You are someone I truly enjoy talking games with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Man, Thunderforce II and III are excellent if you enjoy hearing the them announce the weapons; doubly so if you love 'Engrish' like I do! TFII had some of the best lines:

"Blaker system on" (breaker system on)
    "Go" (Claw)
    "LOOOOORD!" (roll) <-That was my favorite! That shit used to get me hype when I was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Man, Thunderforce II and III are excellent if you enjoy hearing the them announce the weapons; doubly so if you love 'Engrish' like I do! TFII had some of the best lines:

"Blaker system on" (breaker system on)
    "Go" (Claw)
    "LOOOOORD!" (roll) <-That was my favorite! That shit used to get me hype when I was a kid.
    Yes, the Thunderforce games are amazing for that, and yes, the engrish is mighty.

Two comical engrish stories... first, my favorite old game store I used to go to had an awesome owner I got to know pretty well, and who really knew his shit. I'd show up sometimes, and he'd say, "Ha!", go to the back room, and come out with some weird shit he knew I'd want to play like Combat Queen or Groove on Fight or something. Anyway, he had an MVS cart, I'm wanting to say maybe Andro Dunos? Anyway, it said "Manufactified in Japan" on it, which has been one of my favorite SNK missteps ever.

The other is that my buddy Tim, who I've known for at least 24 years, in our mid-twenties, he'd come over and play a lot of RPGs at my place. So, while he was trying to take things seriously, I'd start reading excerpts from Neo Geo AES instruction manuals to fuck with him until he'd break down laughing. He dubbed it "Neo Geo theater," and it rears its head every now and then when things need to get dumber.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm a little surprised Zero Wing has remained a fairly inexpensive game throughout the years, given it's infamy, being the poster child for sloppy, epic Engrish in video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's been too long since I played through AA to give a proper opinion on the game overall. I bought it cheap on clearance like most decent Sega-CD games, so the expectation bar was low.

I remember how it was very cool to play through and I really appreciated a lot of the mech and background designs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I'm a little surprised Zero Wing has remained a fairly inexpensive game throughout the years, given it's infamy, being the poster child for sloppy, epic Engrish in video games.
    True... if only more people had played Download on PC Engine. Jesus, that game has possibly the best engrish of them all. Amazing stuff there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Did anyone else hear "tWansformation..." when you transformed, or was it just my audio setup back in the day making him sound like that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker
    True... if only more people had played Download on PC Engine. Jesus, that game has possibly the best engrish of them all. Amazing stuff there.
    Wait, what? I own Down Load for the PC Engine, but I've never played it. I haven't played 90% of my PC Engine games. Tell me, what am I in for?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Wait, what? I own Down Load for the PC Engine, but I've never played it. I haven't played 90% of my PC Engine games. Tell me, what am I in for?
    I don't want to spoil it for you, but the death screens are freaking priceless, full of not only poor grammar, but badly used curse words. Stuff like, "No shit, I got the wrong way," or, "I can not fuck up for this." It's priceless... but it's also a totally bad-ass shooter.