Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 through component - worth bothering with?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Default PS2 through component - worth bothering with?

For years I had 2 TV's set up for gaming: a 25 inch CRT SDTV in the game room and a 52 inch projection HDTV in the living room. The HDTV was bought in '02 when HDTV was just rearing its' head so it only does 480p/1080i through component (no HDMI) and being the room it's located in I kept only my Wii and 360 hooked up to it. Through the magic of daisy chained switchers and surge protectors I managed to hook up every other system I owned to the CRT (which was about 9 or 10).

I moved a few years ago and came across a cheap 22 inch LCD and set it up right next to the ol' CRT. I've got 4 or 5 consoles hooked up to it but still have the PS2 hooked to the CRT via composite. Am I better off leaving that as is, or is it worth the change to component cables on the HDTV? Hardly any games at all take advantage of it, and those I've seen that do all require some unique hidden code on bootup to run in 480p. I mostly play fighters and other 2d centric stuff and very rarely play some PS2 exclusive 3d games.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I tried it a bit, but I prefer PS2 on a CRT.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

yea PS2 is better on the crt.
    theres only a handful of games that support any thing more than 480 and if I remember correctly none of them were anything special
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._display_modes

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Versus composite? Hell yes, definitely go with component. Now, if we were talking s-video on a CRT, then it's a toss-up. The PS2 kind of annoyingly straddles that line where some games I prefer how they look on my HDTV with component and some I prefer on my CRT with s-video.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There is a HUGE difference between composite and component, even without HDTV resolutions. The difference between s-video and component isn't as drastic as composite to s-video, but there's still an improvement in color.

That said, it's hard to say what it'll look like on the LCD. My experience with NTSC component signals on LCD HDTVs has been that they tend to look muddy, and you've also got input lag to deal with. I say at least give it a shot and see what you think, and worst case scenario, now you've got the component cables on hand in case you find a good CRT with component inputs, which will definitely be a massive improvement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The answer is: Component on a CRT!!

The vast majority of PS2 games look just better on a standard TV, but by all means use a crt TV with component video input. Even compared with s-video (not to mention composite) the picture quality (in particular color saturation, but also sharpness and contrast) is much better.

I have a PS2 connected to the HDTV, but also a second one to a CRT (both via component), and for almost all the games I use the CRT. I'll get even a second Xbox to connect to a CRT (again: with component cables). These consoles fall in the transition phase CRTs-HDTVs, so some games look just fantastic (Quantum Redshift) and some games look awful (Colin McRae 3 for the Xbox) on a HDTV. The best console for HDTVs is the Xbox, then comes the GameCube, and then the PS2. However, if you have component cables for the GC (in the meantime around $200, unfortunately) and use the little B-button trick, the GC is fantastic on a HDTV! Almost all great games play in 480p, even on bigger HDTVs the picture quality is first class.

Component input is not just for HDTVs, it was used for CRTs before HDTVs were on the market. So...buy some cheap component cables for the PS2 and connect it to your CRT, your eyes and game brain will be very thankful.
    Last edited by lendelin; 03-30-2016 at 10:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Like was just said, component on a PS2 doesn't mean that you're not playing on a CRT. The topic isn't even asking what type of tv you prefer to play PS2 titles on.

Component inputs were virtually standard to such a degree that they were easily found on even the smallest budget sets from generic sounding firms during the final years of CRT production. In fact, try finding a CRT with a 2000's manufacturing date that doesn't offer the option. You'll quickly see just how universal component video was on late model CRT's.

For me playing PS2 titles on a standard definition Trinitron from 2005 or so, I see a noticeable improvement over S-Video. While I don't see the improved color saturation that others apparently experience, I see noticeably less color bleeding, annoying moire patterns go from greatly reduced over S-Video to being completely extinct over component, text is sharper, etc.

And if you're upgrading from composite, it's certainly well worth the $10.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-30-2016 at 10:18 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

For the most consistent experience, forget widescreen. Few PS2 games use it effectively.

Try seeking a component CRT that does not accept 480p. You don't need image processing on traditional 2D games with a set the correct size relative to viewing distance.
    Lum fan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

If you play fighters and 2D games the difference is huge ... much less compression and better color rendering with component inputs on crt or lcd. The ability to use 480p is great but even for 240p or 480i it is very noticeable when you have component video.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Component inputs were virtually standard to such a degree that they were easily found on even the smallest budget sets from generic sounding firms during the final years of CRT production. In fact, try finding a CRT with a 2000's manufacturing date that doesn't offer the option. You'll quickly see just how universal component video was on late model CRT's.
    Are we talking US TVs here? Because I don't think component inputs on CRTs are as commonplace as you're making them out to be. I have a large CRT from 2003 that wasn't the cheapest possible set you can get back then either, and it offers nothing better than s-video. Never knew any family or friends who had a set with component input either until everybody switched over to HDTVs.

And if Az isn't even using s-video on his CRT, I doubt it supports component. The question at hand isn't if he should go out and buy an entirely new CRT.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know, if you have a PS1 rgb cable it will work just fine with a PS2. I would mostly play PS2 games via RGB, but there are a handful of PS2 games that legitimately have progressive scan 480p output. Not very many of them, but a few...

For those games, I would use component and take advantage of the progressive scan..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What does RGB offer that component doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    Are we talking US TVs here?
    Yes

I've yet to have seen one without component capabilities. I bought several new mid-range sets since something like a Trinitron was much too expensive when they were new, including spending a lot of time researching my options back then at my local Wal-Mart each time and checking reviews and forums online to learn about each model in my price range. Component video capabilities were extremely commonplace.

And during the 2000's I also purchased 3 or 4 of whatever the cheapest 13" CRT's were at Wal-Mart, several from cheap sounding names like Qazar, Daewoo, and so on for bedroom tv's and the kitchen (Including the last CRT that I ever saw there new back around 2012). Every last one to a tee had component video capabilities despite me not even bothering to check to see if they had that option each time.

I hardly think it was luck of the draw that my experiences over a half dozen purchases over a 10 year span in the 2000's worked out this way. It was very much unlike in the 1990's, such as my first new tv of my own in 1995 that was a 13" Emerson model that didn't even offer composite video (let alone anything superior like S-Video or component).

What model tv is it that you got stuck with from 2003 without this feature?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    And if Az isn't even using s-video on his CRT, I doubt it supports component. The question at hand isn't if he should go out and buy an entirely new CRT.
    I don't know and it's besides the point.

The entire purpose of my post was that component doesn't equal HDTV. Just because someone expressed the thought that component video cables for the PS2 are worth their cheap price doesn't mean that they're advocating that the original poster should leave standard definition CRT's behind. And while we can debate how common this feature was on such sets, it was still a feature that wasn't difficult to locate.

So they're not mutually exclusive and if one has the option to utilize component video capabilities for their PS2 on whatever their tv may be, I say spend the $10 for the cables. The only reason one might not want to is if it's a HDTV and they regularly play PS1 titles on their PS2. While the issue doesn't seem nearly as commonplace now. many people haven't been able to display 240p sources through component on their HDTV (Something that a fair number of Ico purchases discovered to their dismay).

In that instance and if it was me, I'd personally save myself the hassle of cable switching and just use S-Video to maximize compatibility (Or better yet, utilize a standalone PS1 for older software or just play them on a PS3).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 03-31-2016 at 04:57 PM.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Definitely go for it.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Component's gonna be the best choice either way you go, but I find that because of the interlacing a lot of games look smeary on my LED for some reason. It's mostly with PS2 games, PS1 games look fine. If the game has a progressive scan mode it's better.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

What model tv is it that you got stuck with from 2003 without this feature?
    I have a Sharp 25 inch CRT (25C340) that was manufactured sometime in 2005 / 2006, lacks component, only has S-video and composite inputs. They exist, but they're uncommon.

I decased it and use it as the monitor for my arcade cabinet. Feeding a de-interlaced 240p signal into it, even with just S-Video, the image looks great.

Incidentally do you remember the general MSRP of Trinitrons back then?
    Last edited by Bratwurst; 04-01-2016 at 12:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well past $500 as I recall, for modest sizes like 20" CRT's that once were the norm in people's living rooms. For the giants, you'd be looking well into the 4 digits just like with today's top of the line HDTV's. There's still review sources online where you could input a popular model and likely see the original MSRP quoted, which I've successfully done a few times to research potential Craigslist purchases now that Trinitrons are a viable choice for someone on a budget.

Either way with component on SD CRT's, it at the very least wasn't difficult to find and was/is definitely an option for the purists that believes a non-HD game console looks best on such technology but wants to take advantage of the best video quality option for systems like the PS2.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well past $500 as I recall, for modest sizes like 20" CRT's that once were the norm in people's living rooms. For the giants, you'd be looking well into the 4 digits just like with today's top of the line HDTV's. There's still review sources online where you could input a popular model and likely see the original MSRP quoted, which I've successfully done a few times to research potential Craigslist purchases now that Trinitrons are a viable choice for someone on a budget.

Either way with component on SD CRT's, it at the very least wasn't difficult to find and was/is definitely an option for the purists that believes a non-HD game console looks best on such technology but wants to take advantage of the best video quality option for systems like the PS2.
    True definitely go component. The best picture of course will be on an HD CRT (such as the WEGA series with 1080i tubes) to get 480p for select PS2 games. God Of War on the PS2 looks so much better utilizing the console 480p mode on the HD CRT. There are even a PS2 few games that offer 1080i mode, no upscaler needed.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If you went for a Sony or Toshiba TV from that time period, there would be component inputs pretty much guaranteed. I have a Toshiba 13" TV from about then that has component inputs. I agree that they were common at that time period.

If anyone is reading other threads I've replied to and wondering why I'm not using this 13" TV with component inputs as my main set currently, it's partly because there's a scratch in the glass on the tube, and that I don't like flat tube CRTs much as images look slightly distorted to me. We're using the same 13" TV we've been using regularly since 1997, with just coaxial inputs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bratwurst View Post
    I have a Sharp 25 inch CRT (25C340) that was manufactured sometime in 2005 / 2006, lacks component, only has S-video and composite inputs. They exist, but they're uncommon.

I decased it and use it as the monitor for my arcade cabinet. Feeding a de-interlaced 240p signal into it, even with just S-Video, the image looks great.

Incidentally do you remember the general MSRP of Trinitrons back then?
    I believe the Trinitron name was retired around that time. My 27" Trinitron in 1995 was $500. I picked up a 27" Wega in 2004 for @ $400, and it had component.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Were those on sale or a model that had been replaced in their line? Not as expensive sounding as I recall for decent size Trinitrons.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-01-2016 at 10:57 PM.