Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PS2 through component - worth bothering with?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

wega I think is what your looking for if I am understanding you correctly

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Sony started making Trinitrons, then when they started making flat CRTs the names were changed to Trinitron Wega, and when they started making flat panel TVs that weren't CRTs they were just Wegas. Eventually the Wega name was replaced with Bravia in 2005. This is as best as I understand it.

The Trinitron name didn't disappear until CRTs were discontinued, there were a few different names for Trinitron flat CRTs besides Wega too.

Trinitron Super Fine Pitch---------1440x1080i
    Trinitron Hi-Scan------------------853x1080i
    Trinitron WEGA 16:9 Enhanced--480i
    Trinitron WEGA--------------------480i

Several Trinitron Super Fine Pitch models were made 4:3 aspect ratios too, not just 16:9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

don't forget HR Trinitron on monitors and some oddball displays
    and not all Trinitron were completely flat either.
    older ones stull had a curve in them but it peaked from top to bottom in the center instead of peaking at one point right in the middle like most CRTs

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    older ones stull had a curve in them but it peaked from top to bottom in the center instead of peaking at one point right in the middle like most CRTs
    Which is why most of them are so ridiculously heavy for their display size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2 View Post
    There is a HUGE difference between composite and component, even without HDTV resolutions. The difference between s-video and component isn't as drastic as composite to s-video, but there's still an improvement in color.

That said, it's hard to say what it'll look like on the LCD. My experience with NTSC component signals on LCD HDTVs has been that they tend to look muddy, and you've also got input lag to deal with. I say at least give it a shot and see what you think, and worst case scenario, now you've got the component cables on hand in case you find a good CRT with component inputs, which will definitely be a massive improvement.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    Sony started making Trinitrons, then when they started making flat CRTs the names were changed to Trinitron Wega, and when they started making flat panel TVs that weren't CRTs they were just Wegas. Eventually the Wega name was replaced with Bravia in 2005. This is as best as I understand it.

The Trinitron name didn't disappear until CRTs were discontinued, there were a few different names for Trinitron flat CRTs besides Wega too.

Trinitron Super Fine Pitch---------1440x1080i
    Trinitron Hi-Scan------------------853x1080i
    Trinitron WEGA 16:9 Enhanced--480i
    Trinitron WEGA--------------------480i

Several Trinitron Super Fine Pitch models were made 4:3 aspect ratios too, not just 16:9.
    Yeah, they were Trinitrons, but the name was dropped from the front of the televisions and the color was changed from black to silver. My 32" Hi-scan CRT just has Wega on the top left corner. Edit* My 27" Wega does have Trinitron written in the lower left corner, along with SRS and BRB.*

The 1st true flat television from Sony, that I recall, was refered to as FD Trinitron and then Sony used the name Wega the following year to represent their true-flat lineup of CRTs.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 04-02-2016 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Trinitron name has been around since the 70s, I remember seeing the Sony TVs back then when I was a kid way before flat CRTs came out. Here is the Wiki info:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinitron

Trinitron is Sony's brand name for its line of aperture-grille-based CRTs used in television sets and computer displays. One of the first truly new television systems to enter the market since the 1950s, the Trinitron was announced in 1968 to wide acclaim for its bright images, about 25% brighter than common shadow mask televisions of the same era. Constant improvement in the basic technology and attention to overall quality allowed Sony to charge a premium for Trinitron devices into the 1990s.[citation needed]

Patent protection on the basic Trinitron design ran out in 1996, and it quickly faced a number of competitors at much lower prices. Sony responded by introducing their flat-screen FD Trinitron designs (WEGA), which maintained their premier position in the market into the early 2000s. However, these designs were surpassed relatively quickly by plasma and LCD designs. Sony removed the last Trinitron televisions from their product catalogs in 2006, and ceased production in early 2008. Video monitors are the only remaining Trinitron products being produced by Sony, at a low production rate, although the basic technology can still be found in downmarket televisions from third parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, they were Trinitrons, but the name was dropped from the front of the televisions and the color was changed from black to silver. My 32" Hi-scan CRT just has Wega on the top left corner. Edit* My 27" Wega does have Trinitron written in the lower left corner, along with SRS and BRB.
    As to the Trinitron logo drop, the later model WEGAs do have Trinitron on them. I own two WEGA HD KV-32HS500 CRTs and one of the very last of the Sony Flat Tubes, a KD-27FS170. All have the Trinitron logo. The KD flat tube series built in 2006 are very unique SD TVs with 1080i tube and separate analog and digital broadcast tuners! Even though a 1080i tube, it only supports a 480i signal. However, everything looks so crisp as if in a higher resolution, no scanlines whatsoever. The digital broadcast and component input really look HD quality!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mods, repairs and reviews of my Sony CRTs.

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...05514#p1005514

http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewt...458437#p458437

The $20 socket chip fix:

Last edited by CRTGAMER; 04-02-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    CRTGAMER Guides and Reviews
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    The Trinitron name has been around since the 70s, I remember seeing the Sony TVs back then when I was a kid way before flat CRTs came out. Here is the Wiki info:

As to the Trinitron logo drop, the later model WEGAs do have Trinitron on them. I own two WEGA HD KV-32HS500 CRTs and one of the very last of the Sony Flat Tubes, a KD-27FS170. All have the Trinitron logo. The KD flat tube series built in 2006 are very unique SD TVs with 1080i tube and separate analog and digital broadcast tuners! Even though a 1080i tube, it only supports a 480i signal. However, everything looks so crisp as if in a higher resolution, no scanlines whatsoever. The digital broadcast and component input really look HD quality!
    Yeah, I remember seeing those old wood grained Sony Trinitrons in the early 80s.

I have a Sony Wega KV-27FS120 that was built in June 0f 2004. It has the small Trinitron logo on the bottom left corner, along with SRS and BRB. The Wega badge is in the upper left corner, where the word Trinitron would be on the older sets. My 1995 set is a KV-27S15; it has the Trinitron moniker in the upper left corner. My 32" set is the Sony KV-32HS420; it just has the Wega moniker in the upper left hand corner and an Energy Star sticker in the lower left corner. Man, I really love that Hi-scan set. Playing Xbox and Gamecube games in 480p on it is the ideal way to go.

Speaking of the old KV-27S15. Do you know if Sony, or any other 3rd party manufacturer, still sells parts for those sets? I need to replace the tuner board on it.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 04-02-2016 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Speaking of the old KV-27S15. Do you know if Sony, or any other 3rd party manufacturer, still sells parts for those sets? I need to replace the tuner board on it.
    I think your best bet is going to be eBay. A lot of defunct electronic supply shops have thrown their old stock up for sale. Stock up on spare flybacks while you can, also anything tied to the horizontal supply line of the flyback (transistors, etc) as those tend to get taken out when the transformer dies.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

You guys are reminding me i gotta pop a tube TV i bought recently open and fix the "flyback lines". They aren't any one color and over all brightness is way too high so it seems like it's just high on the crt voltage.

Should probably get insulated drivers before tackling that eh?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Thanks for everyone's input on this. I decided to leave the PS2 hooked up to the CRT but upgrade from composite to component cables to hopefully improve the picture.

The TV I'm using has both component and s-video besides composite inputs but I never switched over to either due to laziness. I had recently swapped out from a previous RCA 25 inch that only had composite inputs. Although this new TV had component and s-video inputs everything shared the same audio input jacks, plus the A/V switchboxes I were using were composite only, so I basically just unplugged everything when changing TV's and plugged it back in as-is.

I have some extra switchboxes that use both s-video and component so this weekend I'm going to wade through this rats nest of wires and redo the hookups for everything. When it's all said and done I'll be upgrading the PS2 to composite and the PS1, SNES, and 3DO to s-video. Got looking into alternatives for the Dreamcast and ordered a VGA cable to move it to the HDTV. After some quick research I realized that only a tiny fraction of DC games aren't VGA compatible (I thought it was much larger) and found that while VGA boxes are still expensive just VGA cables are dirt cheap.

Regarding a previous mention of GC hookup, I was truly amazed how great Mario Kart Double Dash looked in 480p with my Wii on this little HDTV.

Some questions about PS2 component hookup: will PS1 games still output video over them? If I need some Guncon action can I hook it into one of the component jacks or will I need to swap back to composite?
    Last edited by Az; 04-04-2016 at 08:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, PS1 games will display in component on a PS2. For GunCon games, plug the gun into the green lead (that's where the sync signal lives).

Also, make sure you configure the PS2 for Y/Pb/Pr and not RGB in the system settings. The picture will be all kinds of screwed up if you set it to RGB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    The TV I'm using has both component and s-video besides composite inputs but I never switched over to either due to laziness. I had recently swapped out from a previous RCA 25 inch that only had composite inputs. Although this new TV had component and s-video inputs everything shared the same audio input jacks, plus the A/V switchboxes I were using were composite only, so I basically just unplugged everything when changing TV's and plugged it back in as-is.

I have some extra switchboxes that use both s-video and component so this weekend I'm going to wade through this rats nest of wires and redo the hookups for everything. When it's all said and done I'll be upgrading the PS2 to composite and the PS1, SNES, and 3DO to s-video.

Some questions about PS2 component hookup: will PS1 games still output video over them? If I need some Guncon action can I hook it into one of the component jacks or will I need to swap back to composite?
    Make and Model Number of CRT?

PS1 Games will display thru the PS2 for any of the cable hookups. Best to play the PS1 games thru a PS1 console if you want the PS2 to last. The first thing that fails in a PS2 disc drive is losing capability of reading CDs such as the blue PS2 game discs and PS1 discs. This leads me to believe those discs put the most strain on the reader tracking.

Once you hookup the PS2 with Component, try the 480p mode (for supported games see Wiki list) by holding the TRIANGLE and X buttons on bootup. I doubt your TV supports 480p (especially if the lightgun works), but does not hurt to try. Even at 480i mode, the Component will look much better then Composite.

If your switchbox has Composite, SVideo and Component you can run all the cables matched for each console and TV input. If not, just get a second switchbox for the Composite leads. Even though the TV with the separate inputs are shared, you can make it work by only turning on one console at a time and switched "on" at the switch box. This beats unplugging/plugging cables in risking damaging the jacks, especially the fragile SVideo connection.
    Apple II+, APF MP1000, Atari 5200 7800, Vic20, TI994A, SX64, Educ64, 128D, Vectrex, N64, PS1, iMac CRT, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy Advance, Gamecube, GBA Player, PSP, Wii, PS3 Emotion chip, Samsung Impression, VHS, CED, Video 8, Pioneer Laser, DVD, Sony WEGA HDCRT

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I recommend the Philips SWS2821T17 as a switchbox. Component, s-vid, composite, can be set to automatically switch between four separate devices or you can set it to manual selection. Relatively inexpensive now if you're patient.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Azathoth1488
    PSN
    Azathoth_IKA
    3DS Friend
    4313-0753-9074

Quote Originally Posted by CRTGAMER View Post
    Make and Model Number of CRT?
    Sansui 27' DVT2798, made Sept 2008, I picked it up that December as a gift for my stepson. When we put a flatscreen in his room two or three years ago I got this and swapped it out for my old RCA CRT that had my older consoles hooked to it. Since I already had all the switchboxes and everything hooked up using composite only I never bothered to upgrade any connections until now. I managed to get everything hooked up last night.

PS2 + component - Gigantic difference. Everything is much, much more sharp and crisp, colors seem more vibrant and defined with a significant amount of color bleed now gone.

PS1 + S-Video - Colors seem more crisp and defined, less color bleed especially on 2D graphics and text. I was able to still use the Guncon on this since the cable I'm using is a combination S-Video/composite cable, and I just stuck the Guncon cord into the unused composite out (which is hooked to nothing). Alternatively I could use this cord with my 1001 console and stick the Guncon video cord directly into the composite out on the back of the console and use the A/V out for the S-Video cable.

SNES + S-Video - Not as big a leap as the two Playstation consoles, but I could instantly see that pixels are more defined and less blurry than they were before.

3DO + S-Video - Notice a subtle amount of pixel definition gained, but being that I only play three games on this (all 2D fighters) and haven't had this hooked up long I really couldn't form an educated opinion on the difference.

Wish that Dreamcast VGA cable would hurry and arrive as I'm chomping at the bit to test it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Wow that's a pretty recent CRT. Probably one of the last few on mass market. Being sansui i am guessing you bought it a Walmart?

Any way I'm wondering if you have VGA if hooking up the ps1 with the ps2 component cable to a rca to VGA adapter and then pulled h and v sync out of the system if it would look good.

Also look into component mods for the SNES. They are pretty darn good

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have a Samsung 27" CRT from the early 2000's. Not a Sony but does the job.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Az View Post
    Sansui 27' DVT2798, made Sept 2008.

Wish that Dreamcast VGA cable would hurry and arrive as I'm chomping at the bit to test it out.

Looks like a good SD CRT. Has a digital tuner off off the air broadcast, give it a try!

Try the Dreamcast with SVideo on the Sansui. You can then play House of the Dead with Lightguns. Another option (though would be a smaller screen) is to pick up a VGA CRT monitor. yes the Lightguns will work!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

As to component being on low-end CRTs in the 2000s... eh.

My current CRT is a Samsung. I want to say about 20" and I want to say I bought it new for like $150 in 2003.
    Only has composite input... and mono at that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I got lucky with a half dozen tv sets of different brands and all bought new for $200 or less, including several sub $100 13" sets from manufacturers that one definitely doesn't think of when they hear Sony, Samsung, etc.

It happens I suppose and my experiences definitely doesn't mean that the feature was commonplace since it's hardly a scientific survey of the state of CRT production during its final stages earlier this century. So I apologize for essentially saying so and potentially misleading Digital Press, in light of subsequent responses since my original post from other members that had very different experiences and impressions of that time.

I shouldn't of spoken about my experience in that way and made the assumption that it was likely indicative of the state of the CRT market during that time period. Particularly when the sole purpose of my post was to state my preference for component output out of my PS2 to my SD CRT and didn't even need that observation added to it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-09-2016 at 11:53 PM.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    As to component being on low-end CRTs in the 2000s... eh.

My current CRT is a Samsung. I want to say about 20" and I want to say I bought it new for like $150 in 2003.
    Only has composite input... and mono at that.
    20 inch probably too small for component to be included. 25/27 and up.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK