Thread: Intellivision BASIC programming

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Intellivision BASIC programming

So, I didn't have an Intellivision as a kid, but years ago after listening to a friend reminisce about his old Intellivision, I went out to find one, and came home with an Intellivision II with the computer module:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160329_221100.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	8770
    I wasn't super sure what I was gonna do with it, but it was only, like $40 for the whole setup at the time with a handful of games. So, after churning through the games with some being fun and a few truly sucking, I started to look into the computer module a bit. My brother was able to write some simple programs like a checkbook balancing one, and they can be stored on casette tapes for later use. My real question is, has anyone here ever really gotten into programming on this thing? Have any cool stories about stuff you did with it?

I know you can put cartridges in the side not just to play, but you can pull images from it like we did with a few. I'd love to hear any neat stuff folks have done on the system.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

While I don't know what you'll program for the Intellivision, I wish you great luck and a good job on whatever you make!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I haven't heard of any one programming on one of these things. in all honesty I think it came from "computer all the things" back in the late 70's to mid 80's
    I think this kind of ranks up there with my Family Basic set for the Famicom. something kinda neat to have and tinker with but nothing really that productive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Around 1997 or 1998 I remember coming across a website that had loads of type-in games for the Intellivision ECS. Because of the machine's abilities, you would have to put in a certain cartridge into it and use BASIC commands to access the cartridge graphics for certain games. I tried one or two but typing on that keyboard was not tremendously easy.

My ECS only runs for about thirty seconds before it blacks out. I guess the components are too old and overheat too quickly. It's such a shame because one of my top games on the Intellivision has always been Mind Strike which you can only play with the ECS. I played the hell out of that one back in the day.