Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games Starring Positive Portrayals of Black People

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Default Games Starring Positive Portrayals of Black People

I feel like I'm walking on egg shells... in a minefield. But I've been thinking about this topic lately, and I wanted to get some genuine feedback and thought going on here.

What are some games which star fictional, black "good role models?" (I'd write African-Americans, but not all "black people" are Americans, nor are all dark-skinned people originated from Africa). And I'm definitely not trying to offend anyone, so please try not to be offensive.

What games am I looking for? I'm not looking for sports games as those usually feature a black player due to his skill at his particular sport and that player is usually not the only choice. And let's not count games where you use a random character generator or where you design the look of a character or other things like that where who you play as is up to a player's design. And as we are talking about "good guys," let's not include games where the main playable character is a gangster or a rapper or a convict or a "violent criminal."

We are talking about games featuring a playable main character who is black and is working to save the world or working for the betterment of mankind and who will always (or mostly) choose the path of righteousness.

And while we are broaching the topic, what are your theories on why there are so few games featuring playable black people, and why do you think there are so few featuring good characters that are black? We have all sorts of games, especially in the 80's and 90's, where the hero is white or pale-skinned, but so few where the protagonist is black.

In the beginning of computer/video gaming, there were no humans portrayed in the games, just non-human objects like numbers or paddles or spaceships, so there wasn't this situation initially. Then graphics improved enough to begin showing recognizable representations of humans, and that's when things got started in this topic. Just imagine what it would have been like if the main hero in Dragon Warrior was black, or the warriors from Gauntlet, or the guys from Contra, or even Pitfall Harry. Nothing would have to be changed about the story, and yet these games feature your usual pale-skinned heroes, often due to the designers of the games being Caucasian or Japanese.

Some might say, "It doesn't matter," or "It's all about the gameplay." I understand what you mean, but if it truly "doesn't matter," then why are there so few black characters starring in video games?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I can think of a few off the top of my head:
    Streets of Rage
    Industrial Spy
    Quartet
    Space Raiders
    Choaniki
    Dynamite Cop
    Michael Jordan in Chaos in the Windy City
    Shaq Fu
    Power Punch II
    Eternal Darkness
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance
    Cyber Lip
    Forgotten Worlds

There's a start, anyway.

Anyhow, as for theories, I'd say a lot of classic games were developed in Japan, which has had somewhat of a Xenophobic history, so I'd hazard a guess that many Japanese-developed games were developed with Japanese characters in mind. People tend to create from that with which they are familiar. When white people tell stories, they tend to be about white people. When black people tell stories, they tend to be about black people.

If anything, especially in regard to early game development, I'd say that there weren't enough black developers out there getting to tell the stories they wanted to tell. If racism were to be a factor, I wouldn't say it was from game designers who made the games so much as a lack of opportunities for black game creators, whether from the hiring process or education system that failed to get black creators into that field.
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-03-2016 at 03:37 AM.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I honestly wouldn't really care what color character I played as, but for games in the 80s and 90s, all I can remember is Final Fantasy 7, Shadow Man, and a couple Spawn games.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

MC Kids and Global Gladiators

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

*not sure if DP or tumblr*

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17 View Post

And while we are broaching the topic, what are your theories on why there are so few games featuring playable black people, and why do you think there are so few featuring good characters that are black? We have all sorts of games, especially in the 80's and 90's, where the hero is white or pale-skinned, but so few where the protagonist is black.

In the beginning of computer/video gaming, there were no humans portrayed in the games, just non-human objects like numbers or paddles or spaceships, so there wasn't this situation initially. Then graphics improved enough to begin showing recognizable representations of humans, and that's when things got started in this topic. Just imagine what it would have been like if the main hero in Dragon Warrior was black, or the warriors from Gauntlet, or the guys from Contra, or even Pitfall Harry. Nothing would have to be changed about the story, and yet these games feature your usual pale-skinned heroes, often due to the designers of the games being Caucasian or Japanese.
    Many, if not most games in the 80s/90s were designed by Japanese, and Japan never had a large demographic of black people. In many cases, I dont think we can be sure that these 'white' main characters are caucasian rather than asian.

What about Michael Jackson's moonwalker? He was a good role model.. for awhile at least.
    Also what about Mr. Game & Watch? Not saying he is black but hes definitly not pale skinned.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    People tend to create from that with which they are familiar. When white people tell stories, they tend to be about white people. When black people tell stories, they tend to be about black people.
    When Japanese people tell stories they tend to be about Italian plumbers.
    Last edited by bb_hood; 04-03-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can't remember. Was Michael Jackson still black when Moonwalker came out or had he already begun to turn white?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

A few 80's and 90's games had alternate black second player characters, and they were generally selectable in single payer mode. A few I can think of are:

Global Gladiators (Mack)
    Forgotten Worlds (Unknown Solider 2)
    NARC (Hitman)
    Smash T.V. (Player 2)
    Toobin' (Jet)
    Total Carnage (Player 2)

These are always alternate player though, which makes since considering that blacks are an extreme minority in most of the markets that video games are sold. There are a lot of brawlers and vs. fighters that had black playable characters as well. There are also games that are centered around black characters that already exist in other forms (comic book and film characters for example). I'd wager this is the case with most games centered in black lead characters.

At any rate, you can add Sheva from Resident Evil 5 to the list.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

Final Fantasy VII was the first one that sprang to mind for me too. Maybe Jax from Mortal Kombat? He's ostensibly one of the good guys, as good as anyone can be in that franchise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Burning Rangers has a black character named Big Landman. He can be unlocked as a playable character on a couple of levels after completing the game as Shou, or Tillis.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/saturn/19684...rangers/cheats
    Last edited by Gamevet; 04-03-2016 at 09:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Walking Dead is a modern game with a leading black character.

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    *not sure if DP or tumblr*
    A forum is what you make of it.

Quote Originally Posted by celerystalker View Post
    When white people tell stories, they tend to be about white people. When black people tell stories, they tend to be about black people.
    True, except a lot of anime in the 1970's and 1980's featured black characters. They were almost always part of a squad or a team or the officers on the bridge. Not the main protagonist, true, but since that time a lot less black characters have shown up in Japanese media.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    These are always alternate player though.
    Exactly. It's only a little difficult naming games with pre-made playable black characters that are good people, but it's actually pretty tough to name games with a pre-made playable black character that is a good person and that is the only playable character or the primary playable character.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    At any rate, you can add Sheva from Resident Evil 5 to the list.
    What was her character like? Noble?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Mike Tyson
    Fails on two counts:

Quote Originally Posted by Nz17
    I'm not looking for sports games as those usually feature a black player due to his skill at his particular sport and that player is usually not the only choice. And as we are talking about "good guys," let's not include games where the main playable character is a gangster or a rapper or a convict or a "violent criminal."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hep038 View Post
    The Walking Dead is a modern game with a leading black character.
    What was her character like? Could you play the whole thing through an "honorable path?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

What was her character like? Noble?
    Yes, I'd say so; to the point of being a tad one dimensional.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

What about Crackdown 2? Never played it but from artwork and stills it looked like the protagonist was black.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

I like a lot of modern games that take the approach of "make whatever character you like look however you like" - let your actions define your character.
    <Sothy> its the internet <Sothy> who cares

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    This is a classic gaming site and the most active thread is a load of people wanking off to my little pony.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Jibbajaba

Tecmo Bowl. Fucking Bo Jackson, bruh.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jibbajaba View Post
    Tecmo Bowl. Fucking Bo Jackson, bruh.
    Careful, you don't want your post to get moved or deleted.

The rational reason to remove what was there is that what you wrote didn't belong there. The topic is supposed to be about fictional, good black people who are not sports figures. It's all right there in the second paragraph.
    I would go with Barret from Final Fantasy VII.

Here's a bigger list of characters. They're not sorted out between fictional and real, or positive or not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ame_characters

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cyborg for Commodore 64.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Posts disappearing? That's odd
    Anyhow, I remembered Captain Benjamin Sisko in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine – Crossroads of Time on the SNES and Genesis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YoshiM View Post
    What about Crackdown 2? Never played it but from artwork and stills it looked like the protagonist was black.
    Crackdown is all create a character and next to no story other than them being a cop killing baddies(love that game) though the black create a character is the face of the game on certain box covers.

TBH I can't really think of many characters(good or bad leads) in gaming that are black. I would guess that black people make up less than %5 of all hardcore gamers(taking in North America, Europe and Japan as the top gaming consumers) in addition to a (guess again) <%5 of game designers so the games reflect this. Combine this with how many games do not have a static human hero(either create a character or non human protagonist) and you are not going to see many black or indian skinned people in gaming.
    Bury me with my money......*dies*