Thread: What would you uninvent about modern games? [Eurogamer.net]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow What would you uninvent about modern games? [Eurogamer.net]

Dual-wielding: for a while, that seemed like the way games moved forward. What's better than holding one gun? Holding two! Good scrum everybody! But progress is a complex business, and while a lot of design is about adding new elements to the mix, what happens when you start to take things away?
    In the week that modern VR makes its first proper stab at defining part of the future of games, it felt like a good time to ponder this sort of thing. The world of games is filled with wonderful inventions, but what would you choose to uninvent? Here are some of our ideas - and if they seem extreme/stupid, that was all part of the fun of this bloody-minded thought experiment.
    But how about you? What would you uninvent?
    Read more…
    I am not a real person. I am the Digital Press ServBot, in active duty, assigned to fetching various RSS feeds and posting them here. If you can suggest a better feed source please PM a moderator or admin.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts

Downloading games online. Nowadays some games require you to download part of them online, due to discs. It's also much easier for publishers to remove games from availability permanently due to legal/licensing reasons.
    Real collectors drive Hondas, Toyotas, Chevys, Fords, etc... not Rolls Royces.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm not sure if this fits, but it annoys me when for a game's manual (especially on Switch), the manual is hosted on a website you have to access online. So if you wanna read the manual but you happen to be out of the area, tough cookies.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Edmond Dantes For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (04-20-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Online DRM.
    The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout "save us!"......and I'll look down, and whisper "no."

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RARusk For This Useful Post:

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Digital exclusives. If a game is digital, I don't buy it. Unfortunately, even people who do collect still play games digitally instead of just standing their ground and refusing to buy digital content. You have people that only buy digital content, people who will buy whatever but would rather own physical, and then collector's who buy physical and will still buy digital games. Stop buying digtal games period and maybe we can make a change(not really, without some massive movement which is never going to happen, nothing is going to happen.)
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kupomogli For This Useful Post:

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Unfortunately, even people who do collect still play games digitally instead of just standing their ground and refusing to buy digital content.
    Buying is still different than playing, there are ways around buying (cough). It's getting the same way with all media these days.

Let's see, there's probably a lot of things.

-The entire economy of modern gaming; full of microtransactions, season passes, loot boxes/gambling, episodic gaming, etc.
    -Online gaming; forced multiplayer, and online chat/voice crap.
    -Automatic checkpoint saving. There's no real consequences of failing or dying, just keep forcing your way through the game and you'll succeed. They're mostly all "baby's first video game".
    -Narrative only games with no actual/meaningful gameplay whatsoever, this includes action games as well, not just adventure games. I like adventure games with stories, but they still need actual puzzles. Action games still need good gameplay, not just general filler in between cutscenes.
    -Modern fully 3D analog controls and cameras, as I tend to prefer more limited viewpoints/controls which are easier to deal with like older Resident Evil type games. Most modern games tend to feel the same with the same look and controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

[QUOTE=Gameguy;2065357]Buying is still different than playing, there are ways around buying (cough). It's getting the same way with all media these days.

I get that some people do, probably a lot of people, but I also see that there's a lot of people out there that state they collect and then I see them mentioning they've started playing x game, like Nobody Saves the World for instance. Now, while the world is doomed since nobody saves it, the game itself looks really good and has been getting a lot of good reception. It's also made by the Guacamelee 1 and 2 developers which I haven't played the second, but the first is a near perfect game imo just based on the overall quality of gameplay and design. Pacing, progression, etc. So really an excellent studio. Now, this game is likely going to get a physical release because it's such a high profile indie studio releasing another hit game and the first two games received a physical copy and physical collection. But let's say that none of them had a physical release. I don't care if it's the greatest game on Earth, no physical, no buy, atleast as far as I'm concerned. This may change once everything is digital only, that is if I don't just purchase class physical releases from then on out, but atleast while physical copies of games are still a thing, that's my stance on it.

I just wish that more people would take this stance and stop what's pretty much the guarantee that physical will be dead within a few generations at most.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

But let's say that none of them had a physical release. I don't care if it's the greatest game on Earth, no physical, no buy, atleast as far as I'm concerned.
    I don't buy digital only games either. Not just because of the lack of ownership, but I don't like signing up for online accounts. I basically avoid online shopping, with very few exceptions that didn't require accounts to be made. I basically stopped playing Phoenix Wright games because of it, I remember there was some DSi or 3DS download exclusive, and I didn't bother to play it so I haven't kept up with the franchise since.

I just wish that more people would take this stance and stop what's pretty much the guarantee that physical will be dead within a few generations at most.
    Not just with games, but with retail stores too. I hate self checkouts and refuse to use them, currently the local thrift near me converted to only use self checkouts except for a single register that isn't always open, I stopped buying as much unless it's really something I seriously want. That and the various retail stores that still tell me to just order from them online instead of shopping with them in person. It's like stores want you to beg them for the privilege of being a customer, there's no such thing as customer service anymore. Most people complain but still shop there anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Plain and simple micro transactions what was once exclusive to phones has leaked into consoles.

One example for shame sqaurenix

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Plain and simple micro transactions what was once exclusive to phones has leaked into consoles.

One example for shame sqaurenix
    I've heard about this one, but I didn't know just how bad it was until seeing this. That's ridiculous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I've heard about this one, but I didn't know just how bad it was until seeing this. That's ridiculous.
    Yeah it's insane how much squrenix milked the latest chocobo kart racer with micro transactions.Id rather play the original over it or MK8 deluxe instead.