Name:	20160404_235436.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	8813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160404_235511.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	8814
    The Addams Family was a fairly early SNES game, and was meant as a tie-in with the theatrical movie of the same name. It is an action/adventure title that is a little bit Super Mario and a little Metroid, creating an open world platformer in which Gomez must hop and bop his way through the Addams mansion and its grounds in order to rescue his kidnapped family members.

The Addams Family is pretty wide open, moving away from the need for items to progress, limiting your progress mainly by your own skill and life bar, which expands by finding hearts, usually by taking down bosses. Your main mode of attack is jumping on your enemies, though there are temporary powerups such as balls you can throw, shoes to lets you run faster, a fez to help you fly, and more. Each area typically has either a rigorous platforming section to traverse or a puzzle to solve that will allow you to reach the area boss and save your family members. The game is loaded with secret passages and items, so be sure to check out suspiciously placed platforms and odd backgrounds. You'll often find new areas or 1ups for your troubles!

Control is a little floaty but solid, and you must land squarely atop your enemies to defeat them lest you take damage yourself. You take a little longer to stop running when letting off of the D-pad than in most games, so at first most players will feel like it's sloppy or cheap. Once you wrap your hands around it, though, Gomez starts to do what you want him to, and progress moves on quickly. The graphics are a tad cartoony, but it kinda works given how goofy the property and especially the movie really were, and the music is decent if repetitive.

The Addams Family was also brought to the Sega Genesis, and was later re-worked to the NES as Puggsly's Scavenger Hunt. It's a fun, brief platformer that can easily be beaten in an afternoon, but has a nice atmosphere for the ride. It may not be A-list, but it's still pretty fun to play.

Played it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fun little Super Mario World-esque game but too hard and slippery for my liking.

Still, fun for a quick bit of casual play every now and again. Some of those pixel perfect jumps are maddening, though.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

It's pretty so-so, but certainly better than most Western-developed licensed games back then. The most memorable part to me will always be how the password system is broken, in that every password you get when your lives total contains a 9 won't work when you try to enter it, so I used a FAQ, did some binary to decimal conversion, and an AND operation to get the checksum to create a working password with the stuff I had obtained with a lives total that didn't contain 9. Maybe it sounds weird, but that was kind of fun in and of itself, putting what I had been learning in school to some sort of "practical" use.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    It's pretty so-so, but certainly better than most Western-developed licensed games back then. The most memorable part to me will always be how the password system is broken, in that every password you get when your lives total contains a 9 won't work when you try to enter it, so I used a FAQ, did some binary to decimal conversion, and an AND operation to get the checksum to create a working password with the stuff I had obtained with a lives total that didn't contain 9. Maybe it sounds weird, but that was kind of fun in and of itself, putting what I had been learning in school to some sort of "practical" use.
    That's awesome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I kinda liked the SNES version... I remember playing that in early '92 I think...

Only thing that bothered me about was there were quite a few cheap deaths... I would start cussing and getting frustrated by it after awhile...

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

It is really easy to die before you expand your life bar a couple of times. Fortunately, it's pretty liberal with the extra lives, especially with the secret door right at the beginning of the game.