Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    and by "Slightly Different" Daria means "looks like it was designed for the Commodore 64, and Roto's descendant clearly enjoys the buffet table more than Erdrick's, and absolutely nobody is able to face any direction other than south" (you actually have to specify a direction when you use a command like "talk" or try to open a door). Oh, and it uses passwords instead of a save battery. So I guess Swords and Serpents no longer has to feel bad about that.

One of these days I would love to do a video about the awesomeness of RPGs during the NES era. The problem is getting footage, since RPGs were never usually meant to be beaten quickly. In my case I'm slightly afraid of wasting DVD-Rs. There is one game--Legend of the Ghost Lion--that I might go ahead and record myself, though. That is truly an underappreciated gem.

....... buuuuut now we're not talking about first-person dungeon crawlers. I don't really mind, since I love 8-Bit RPGs, but I really want to crawl dungeons.

I actually bought Legend of Grimrock on GOG (I soooo keep wanting to say "me Grimrock not kisser, me Grimrock king!") but the only comp I have that might run it is this laptop. And I hate gaming on a laptop. But at least I have it for when the day comes...
    Heh. I was working on a Ghost Lion video not too long ago but my footage was garbage so I put it on the back burner. Love that game.

Swords and Serpents was a game I had growing up. It's a lite-dungeon crawler, but enjoyable (and not all that long). The "zoom tube" warps get a bit aggravating at times. But it's no Wizardry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    Enemy Zero

I think that's the name of the one I am thinking of I remember it being on Saturn and PC atleast and it was sort of more Sci-Fi but still a 1st person crawler
    Yeah, that game will put you on the edge of your seat.

The game experience is like the tracker scene in Aliens, where the space marines see the images on the unit and the thumping increases as the enemies get closer and closer. The catch is, though, that you cannot see the enemies when they are in front of you. You have to know where they are by using the tracker, and the only way that they will become visible, is when your gunfire makes contact with them.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Yeah, that game will put you on the edge of your seat.

The game experience is like the tracker scene in Aliens, where the space marines see the images on the unit and the thumping increases as the enemies get closer and closer. The catch is, though, that you cannot see the enemies when they are in front of you. You have to know where they are by using the tracker, and the only way that they will become visible, is when your gunfire makes contact with them.
    Enemy Zero is probably my favorite Saturn game. I never though about it as a dungeon crawler, but I can see that impression. So good, and like Gamevet said, it really is tremendous at keeping you on edge. Some people can't get past its slow pace, but I freaking love the game.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Wasn't CSB also on the Amiga? I could swear that it had an Amiga-only intro animation even...
    Huh! You are correct, sir! In fact, I have it installed on my Amiga 3000 now that I think of it... I think it's the fact that there was never a *DOS* port that always got my goat, and I just got mixed up.

Apparently the Sega CD edition has different music. There's also a Saturn-exclusive game in the series that is totally "I must have that" levels.
    I actually have the Saturn version, but I have yet to actually try it out for some reason... it has 3D enemies which look decent, but otherwise looks pretty faithful to the original.

I also have the TG-16 Dungeon Master: Theron's Quest... it's a rather odd duck. It looks just like the original DM, but the levels are done totally differently. Instead of one big dungeon, it's split into several dungeons and your stats are reset each time you finish one of them. No idea why they did that.

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah, I never thought of Enemy Zero as a dungeon crawler either... it seems like its more like D or possibly Myst but with first-person-shooter elements. It's definitely not an RPG in any sense.

re Dungeon Master -- Theron's Quest really does sound just weird, though I would play it if I could find an inexpensive copy, as I have a Duo that needs loving.

Right now I'm playing Dungeon Master via CSBwin, which is a fan-made port of DM and CSB which apparently the author made by reverse-engineering the executable/data/whatever from the original Atari ST version, so its probably the most "accurate to the original" experience you can get short of emulation. The MS-DOS port of Dungeon Master seems to basically never appear on ebay or I would play that instead, and this thing is my only option for CSB in any case.

Another fan-made conversion I've messed with is called Return to Chaos. That one apparently is not 100% true to the original but it still has some nice features, not the least of which is you can make custom dungeons for it (you can do that for CSBwin too using something called CSbuild, and I'm not sure which is better), but as my interest is in just playing the games I would rather have "as close to the original as I can get."

Wondering if I should try the SNES version or if it has any censorship like some other PC-to-SNES ports do.

Also, the magic system... am I the only person who, when they're confronted with a magic system where you cast spells by combining runes, tries every available combination to see if they do something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I've never been much of a fan, but there were two I enjoyed, kind of wish I kept both but well --time+life = sold

DS(and mobile) Orcs & Elves (by John Carmack of DOOM etc)
    SNES Arcana (by HAL known obviously for Kirby/Smash Bros etc)

Top one is more rogue like, every motion is a 'move' the other is more JRPG style but first person.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Also, the magic system... am I the only person who, when they're confronted with a magic system where you cast spells by combining runes, tries every available combination to see if they do something?
    Oh. You're not alone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

How about an original I played as a kid - Dungeons of Daggorath for the Tandy Color Computer. It was a real special game back in the 80's AND is featured in the novel Ready Player One. I hope it makes it into the movie as it's a special game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Also, Dungeon Master is seriously making me wanna boot up Eye of the Beholder again.

To the guy above me... the name "Dungeons of Daggorath" sounds familiar, but the Tandy What What WHAT now?

EDIT: I just looked up Dungeons of Daggorath.... hmmm... it appears to have had an Apple IIe version (I happen to have an emulator for that since one came with the King's Quest Collection Series) and the graphics remind me of Akalabeth: World of Doom (the "first" game in the Ultima series, which for awhile--and maybe still?--you could get as a freebie on GOG). I always enjoyed Akalabeth's simplicity. In fact there's a weird joy to primitive, uncomplicated RPGs.

Speaking of which... this next one I'm about to name isn't first-person, but IS a dungeon crawler.... there's an all-ASCII textmode game called DND (obvious inspiration is obvious) which was later renamed Dungeons of the Necromancer's Domain. If you've ever played Telengard, its basically DND but given graphics, but limited to just one of the five selectable dungeons. Like Akalabeth, its got this charming simplicity to it that makes it approachable, especially if you don't really wanna do serious, heavy gaming but just wanna kill some monsters. This game was never owned by a company, just a private programmer, so you can probably find it floating on the interwebs legally. There used to be a site that archived all the different versions....

(and with a title like Akalabeth one wonders why Richard Garriott never published a game called Valaquenta or Narn I Chin Hurin.... I guess he didn't want his inspirations to be too obvious?)
    Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 04-16-2016 at 02:42 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have Swords & Serpents, I think. It's not on my Backloggery.com account, though...wonder if I got rid of it. I had it because I picked up a Four-Score at one point and that was one of the few games that used it. Sounded cool but I just never played it.

Here's a question: how long are these games? Grimrock looks cool but I have to admit, I'm not necessarily looking for games that last 40+ hours. Ten hours is the ideal length for a game for me, these days. I have just loved games like Costume Quest and the Shadowrun Returns series of games that offer a content-full experience within that timeframe. Not a huge ton of grinding and repetitive content - these games stay fresh. I find grinding ridiculously boring these days, and the games we're throwing out here sound pretty grindy.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I can't imagine games with no overworld which take place entirely inside a single dungeon having a playtime longer than ten hours. That said I've never played Grimrock, or any other dinobot for that matter.

Lately I've been hitting Dungeon Master a lot, but there's a few things I don't care for. One is that it uses a "you use skills to level up" system, which seems pointless in a game taking place entirely in a dungeon and seems like it'll eventually force me to take time out just to grind up my characters (while at the same time having a pretty strict hunger/thirst-tracking mechanic that forces you to keep moving). The other is the rune magic system and my afformentioned OCD with wanting to test every combo to see if they do anything.

Admittedly those are probably just personal hangups on my part rather than really problems with the game.