Name:	20160413_201224.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	8888Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160413_201408.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	8889
    Arkanoid DS was launched as part of Square's attempt at using the Taito brand they'd purchased to release updated classics and sequels on portable systems. This initiative gave us cool stuff like Space Invaders Extreme, Legend of Kage 2, and more, but I have to admit that Arkanoid was the game that I was pumped up for, especially when they announced the paddle controller add on! Well, they gave us the game, but left the controller as a Japanese exclusive... so, it was time to import.

Now, the controller is fully compatible with the US release, so it can be purchased easily enough separately, and is also compatible with Space Invaders Extreme 1 & 2. To me, it's the only way to play when it's an option. Anyhow, as most folks likely know, Arkanoid is a Breakout style block-breaker in which you control a bar at the bottom of the screen, continually angling a bouncing ball toward those pesky blocks in order to get points and clear stages. Arkanoid has always differentiated itself from the pack with its powerups, which can grow your bar, shrink it (but you score higher while small), allow you to shoot projectiles at blocks, multi-ball, and more, and the DS game offers up a nice array of these. The goal is to clear all of the stages without losing all of your balls, collecting as many points as possible along the way, especially by breaking multiple blocks without touching the ball in between.

One of the coolest aspects of the DS game is that it is loaded with fan service, allowing you to unlock various bars themed or straight out of other games (I usually play as the platform from Puchi Carat), customize the excellent poppy soundtrack, and change the backgrounds and blocks (I like the Space Invaders themes). It's a nice little reward for fans to get to play around with. There are also quest stages to play, which offer specific challenges to complete, almost like a Nazo Puyo game, such as destroying a certain number of blocks with one shot or circumventing crazy obstacles, which also pile onto the replay value. Finally, there is also a vs mode.

There were once online leaderboards if that's your thing, but I don't think they're around these days. I was actually top ten in the world for quite awhile from the time I registered my scores, which was pretty cool. All things considered, it's an awesome little game for Taito fans, and the paddle controller is awesome. I wrote up thoughts on it here:

https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/s...=1#post2011507

Played this one?

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I always meant to get this game, but I somehow never got around to it. The screenshots always make it look so bland compared to the previous games in the series, and it always seems to me like the hinge in the middle of the playfield would really screw things up. Does the ball "warp" past it, or travel through the black space?

--Zero

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    I always meant to get this game, but I somehow never got around to it. The screenshots always make it look so bland compared to previous games in the series, and it always seems to me like the hinge in the middle of the playfield would really screw things up. Does the ball "warp" past it, or travel through the black space?

--Zero
    The hinge is a tad awkward, but it doesn't create major problems after a few minutes. It definitely travels rather than warps through, and it feels pretty good. the screens I put up were only the first few stages, as I was too tired tonight to do a full playthrough. It gets a lot crazier to be sure. I can maybe post some later levels tomorrow night after I've come home from work.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

That dial controller is so hot.