Thread: Game of the Day 4/23/2016: Power Instinct (SNES)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default Game of the Day 4/23/2016: Power Instinct (SNES)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_004626.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	119.8 KB 
ID:	8957Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_001633.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	8958Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_001727.jpg 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	8959Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_001904.jpg 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	8960Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_003516.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	8961Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_002211.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	8962Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_004235.jpg 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	8963Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160423_002237.jpg 
Size:	103.0 KB 
ID:	8964

The beginning of a surprisingly long series of 2D fighters, Power Instinct begins the story of family members struggling for control of their bloodline in a tournament held every ten years. It is a port of an arcade game starring maybe the most diverse family in all of games, featuring characters of all races, ages, and even the odd other species. You must defeat the members of your clan in order to be their ruler.

Power Instinct plays out as a typical 2D fighter of the early '90s, with Street Fighter-inspired controls and special move inputs, character selection, and game options and structure. You have arcade (story), VS, practice, and survival modes, difficulty settings, and the ability to configure your keys. It uses a Neo Geo-like 4 button layout, with light and hard punches and kicks, and everything is very responsive. One thing a tad ahead of its time is the ability to double jump, whichis nice given the absence of air blocking, and makes it more playable retroactively to players used to more modern fighters.

As far as just how bizarre the cast is, the series mascots are Otane and Oume, two elderly twin women who notoriously attack with their dentures as a projectile and kiss opponents to suck out their life force and become temporarily young again. There's a female wrestler/dominatrix, a native american, a ninja, a monk... all from the same family. It's kind of a deadpan comedy in a lot of ways, where the game is loaded with jokes like Otane and Oume's granny attacks, judges straight out of Samurai Shodown crying and hopping around in the background, stereotypes, and more, but presents itself as a straight-laced fighter. As the series went on, things got even more absurd, but it never went so far as to be openly a comedy series.

The graphics in Power Instinct are solid for the time, and the music is decent if forgettable. It maintains a pretty good speed, somewhere around the lower turbo speeds in Street Fighter II Turbo. Everything works as it should, and it's in my opinion one of the better SNES fighters, but is most notable as the start of a franchise that would go on to have several more sequels like Power Instinct II and Legends, Groove on Fight (my favorite), Matrimelee, and even a shooter spinoff, Purikura Daisakusen. There's also a Mega Drive version of the first game, but I haven't played that one.

Played this one? Anybody have any input on the Genesis version?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 04-23-2016 at 03:52 AM.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

I think I have this for Mega Drive but never played it. I never knew the name of the game cause the Japanese box has no english. Was it released for the genesis?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bb_hood View Post
    I think I have this for Mega Drive but never played it. I never knew the name of the game cause the Japanese box has no english. Was it released for the genesis?
    It was a Japanese exclusive. I'm curious about it, as it's supposed to have some kind of karaoke mode for you to sing along with a couple of the songs from the game.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrankSerpico's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This one was wholly underwhelming imo but led to some pretty decent sequels. IIRC a couple were Neo Geo games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FrankSerpico View Post
    This one was wholly underwhelming imo but led to some pretty decent sequels. IIRC a couple were Neo Geo games
    Yup, Matrimelee was a Neo Geo game.

The original is definitely outclassed these days, but it was solid in its day compared to stuff like Clay Fighter, Ranma 1/2, and Takara's rough SNK ports for me, but yeah... it's most notable for its sequels. I really liked Groove on Fight on Saturn a ton!