Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this Xbox One - PS4 generation seem terribly boring to anybody else ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Does this Xbox One - PS4 generation seem terribly boring to anybody else ?

So, I've been gaming for a very long time, and I've seen generation after generation.... First gaming system was an Atari VCS in 1977. Got my NES for Xmas 1986. I've basically seen every single generation of gaming come and go since then.

I'm honestly struggling to think of a more "boring" generation of gaming. I bought both the Xbox One and PS4 on their respective launch days. I was super hyped for both systems. Ultimately, since their arrival in November 2013, it just seems like both of these systems are such a waste.. I can't think of one specific game that makes the Xbox One or PS4 a mandatory purchase. Here we are in 2016, a number of years after their launch, and I really can't think of a single game release that truly blew me away.

Doesn't anybody remember when a new video game would come out that would just blow everybody the F away ? It just seems like it's been so freaking long since this has happened. The last time it "truly" happened was GTA 3 on PS2 back in October of 2001. But, if I'm a bit more lenient, I guess I could say Bioshock, Crackdown and Fallout 3. Certainly nothing from this generation. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular on the horizon either that has me really excited. I'd like to check out Uncharted 4, but I'm guessing it's just going to be a really, really purdy version of Uncharted and nothing truly ground breaking. What the heck happened to this industry ? Is it just the law of diminishing returns or something ?

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I have also been uninterested in the current generation, but it's been on a decline for a long time for me. There's just kind of a same-ness among modern games for me. Most games have a very realistic, almost simulation bent to them, but I know I've ranted about that in other threads. Most games feel very similar to me these days, like there's an 80% overlap in control schemes, similar graphics and physics engines... the difference between games seems to be the degree to which RPG elements are emphasized and story.

What I like about old games is that they abbreviate the filler. I don't travel Final Fantasy III's overworld in real time to marvel at the level of detail put into each tree. I scurry over to the next area to do what I'm going to do, with sights and sounds that give me enough to build atmosphere and engage my imagination, but omitting the boring stuff. If I play, say, Guerrilla War, I run and shoot shit, and I don't watch detailed, lengthly cutscenes that are there to expand on the drama and gravitas of the situation. I just blow everything up in a setting that gets its own point across until I'm done.

For people who love the modern, dramatic style, that's cool for them, but it doesn't engage my imagination or capture my attention with its style. I get a similar satisfaction by watching a movie, which takes up far less time. I'm not saying that modern games have no gameplay, but rather that everything feels so literal and simulated that I rarely have any sense of wonder from them beyond in the moment. I've always felt like gaps between the game and reality are where my imagination gets involved and latches on to games that catch my interest. I need something to keep me engaged, though, whether it's a graphical style that leaves me interested but with room to imagine, quality unanswered questions in storytelling or untouched plot points that leave room for worthwhile consideration, or intriguing secrets so densely populated that Ibwant to dig into the nooks and crannys of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My want lists are quite full, so while I'm only a Wii U owner, I don't anticipate having any trouble finding lots of games that I'm looking forward to playing. My concern is affording it all and actually having time to play at least a good chunk of it in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm especially happy to see what I've seen described as the "middle class game" make a rebirth. For a while there it seemed like there was precious little on consoles except AAA releases all trying to be the next Call of Duty sales hit and very small scale digital releases like $5-$10 standalone classic arcade games.

It seems that it's finally affordable again to develop and publish fairly ambitious titles on consoles that aren't out to be the next game to move 8 million units a year. You can work to make a good niche game that if it's a runaway sales hit will hit maybe a million units for a best case scenario, and actually have a chance of surviving as seen by scores of games like Firewatch coming from smaller outfits.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-27-2016 at 05:11 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I would really suggest checking out the "indie" game scene. You might have to go to the PC to get it; IIRC the Xbox line isn't as much a home to this as they once were. The most memorable gaming experiences from the last decade for me have been small studios making great games. Things like Terraria, Braid, Bastion, Costume Quest, Fez, FTL: Faster Than Light, La Mulana, Aquaria, Mark of the Ninja...there really is a lot to choose from.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Yes it has. It's not I think as much for a lack of games exactly, but a lack of anything one, interesting, and two, that hasn't been also shoved on the last gen stuff so they don't lose profit. WiiU was a sad bust unless you're just a Nintendo brown noser so that unique value isn't there this time as it was with Wii far more. PS4 and One have nothing strongly of value just tied to them other than a very select few key titles. Had I not paid $200 but $400 on the PS4 I'd be upset.

I have 10 games for it, got rid of probably 4 I had that I got cheap that were not better than average and I got bored with, and then I have an 11th sealed I'm not sure why I don't get rid of other than feeling like a hypocrite or something (RCR DX) as I have it on other formats as it is now. Other than Destiny with my nephews I can't recall using it much all year and well into the last other than spurts with Godzilla, GoW3 remaster, FF10 remaster(which I got rid of as I got bored and distracted), Uncharted Trilogy (detect a pattern?) and that Wolfenstein sequel. I have Uncharted 4 coming whenever they stop delaying it, but other than that I don't know. No Man's Sky is coming on GOG which will perform better on my laptop anyway and also not being stuck on the TV be far better used hours wise I can tell you. Odin Sphere I missed out on originally so that I'll do, and if I got that Gravity Rush remaster (again another remake) at some point I can't think of anything else I'd bother with.

I think I could be happy if I even sold it and just bought a cheap blu ray player which is kind of sad or just moved the PS3 back in my room.

edit--forgot that more budget priced TMNT game and also Mighty no 9 were popping up on here too in June. I may pop on those considering the 3DS didn't get either.
    Last edited by Tanooki; 04-27-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah this generation is pretty boring to me. I was excited for The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Just Cause 3 and all of them let me down. MGSV was amazing but that was still on 360/PS3 as well. The Vita is the only next gen console that hasn't let me down so far.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Yeah, there's not a lot that interests me on consoles this generation. Some mildly interesting things on portables or the PC, but not all that much either. Really for most modern stuff just watching someone play through it on youtube is enough to satisfy my interest with it. With older games I would have some drive to actually play it, seeing a video makes me say "that looks like fun, I want to play it". Now I don't really feel that for most modern games.

People buy current consoles for Bluray players and streaming boxes. They just also play some video games as a bonus.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I've made the thread that I think this gen will be better than the PS2 and have more quality games. Imo, the only two systems to even bother with this gen, or three if you consider the NX part of this gen what with Nintendo killing off the Wii U in four years, is the PS4 and Wii U. Sorry, but the Xbox One has pretty much nothing to differentiate itself from the PS4 while the PS4 has nearly all the same games and additional exclusives.

For the entire generation, I do think so far it's the worst generation we've ever experienced, however, the PS4 hasn't even been out three years yet, so I think right now is too early to really call it. I did make the thread that I think the PS4 will have more quality releases than the PS2 does in its life span, but after playing some more games and seeing how others have turned out, I'm still hopeful, but it probably won't reach that quality. Maybe better than the PS3? But who knows, there's still four more years, let's wait until then to fully judge whether or not its quality matches the PS2. After playing more highly rated games, most being garbage, I do have my doubts it'll reach the quality of PS2 now though.

Imo, most of the best rated games don't deserve anywhere near the ratings they've received, and there's probably more payoffs this gen than ever before. Most "gamers" are pretty sheep that flock to anything the media tells them are good. I played Witcher 3 because I've heard from many of these people that it's the best game ever made, and sure the graphics are great, dialogue is actually pretty good, but it's got incredibly janky gameplay and I just couldn't keep playing. I made mention of not playing it, but I did use Witcher 3 as one of the games I've referenced.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I went to PAX East last weekend, and I spent almost no time in the AAA game section. Mostly because I don't want to wait in the lines, but also because not much interested me. I find myself more interested in indie games because they have more wiggle room to try something new and different. I did see the game 'cup head' there and that actually looked pretty awesome.

I think the next thing to really wow anybody will be once they get stable VR games perfected. Otherwise we will just be getting mostly the same shit over and over with new gimmicks and better graphics. I do enjoy a lot of games this generation, but the last time I was actually wow'ed by a game was probably Oblivion on the 360.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been not so enamored with this generation as of late. I look at my backlog and there are few games that jump out at me, I've been playing far more retro games since December-ish time and can't remember the last time I had this much fun with gaming!

That said, I still absolutely love the Yakuza/Ryu Ga Gotoku series on the PS4, I've got the latest game (Kiwami) sitting on my shelf waiting to be played (the idea was to work through my backlog first) but I might start it after I get Uncharted 4, as the Yakuza series is one of the only games I'm interested in spending tons of hours playing.

I do find though that I love many of the indie titles on the console, and almost all of my non Yakuza time is spent on those - Great Giana Sisters, Everybodies gone to Rapture, N++, Trine, Salt and Sanctuary (absolutely amazing game, I need to get back to it) and Jamestown are the recent games I've been putting most of my time into.

Looking at the upcoming release list of games most of my interests seem to come from Japan - bar Uncharted 4 and No Man's Sky the games I really want are EDF, Disaster Report 4, Odin Sphere (but I'll be getting that for Vita), Ryu Ga Gotoku 6, any new "warriors" titles that Koei release etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I find myself playing my PS3, more than my PS4. I've had the PS4 since Christmas of 2014 and have only played GTA V, Killzone Shadowfall, NBA2K15, Fallout 4, The Last of Us, Need for Speed Rivals (got rid of that one pretty quick), Uncharted 1&2 (still debating on playing 3, but 4 is just around the corner), Shovel Knight, Pinball Arcade and Call of Duty Ghosts. That's about 3 or 4 months worth of gaming tops, in the 16 months that I've owned the console. I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4, but there's not a whole lot that is on my radar for consoles right now. Maybe it has to do with the PC now being about 60% of my gaming time and the rest is on consoles.

It seems to me like there are a lot less games coming out for consoles, and to some extent, PCs. We've all heard of a lot of studios being shut down, Irrational Games (just a 15 person staff now) being one of them, so it make me wonder just how many big developers are left to keep up the pace that we saw from the previous generations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    I find myself playing my PS3, more than my PS4. I've had the PS4 since Christmas of 2014 and have only played GTA V, Killzone Shadowfall, NBA2K15, Fallout 4, The Last of Us, Need for Speed Rivals (got rid of that one pretty quick), Uncharted 1&2 (still debating on playing 3, but 4 is just around the corner), Shovel Knight, Pinball Arcade and Call of Duty Ghosts. That's about 3 or 4 months worth of gaming tops, in the 16 months that I've owned the console. I'm looking forward to Uncharted 4, but there's not a whole lot that is on my radar for consoles right now. Maybe it has to do with the PC now being about 60% of my gaming time and the rest is on consoles.

It seems to me like there are a lot less games coming out for consoles, and to some extent, PCs. We've all heard of a lot of studios being shut down, Irrational Games (just a 15 person staff now) being one of them, so it make me wonder just how many big developers are left to keep up the pace that we saw from the previous generations.
    You maybe onto something there. Your owned/own list isn't much different than mine and I'd guess about the same play time too before I got distracted/bored and quit or finished a game. Honestly with the remasters I just mess with them and haven't finished a single one as I move along so I try and bag em at least 50% off when I do. The only upcoming game I care about 100% is Uncharted 4, No Man's Sky I'll get on GoG as a download I can keep/own as it seems smarter than a locked console choice plus I just think it'll handle better somehow. The only big one I really want a crack at is DOOM, again PC version too, since it's like a middle finger to DOOM3's cheap pop scares and seems to be more classic style on roids which is nice.

I think I'm just fed up with the newer stuff except for more exceptional cases of stuff. There's enough time I don't have to mess with it now I'd rather look back to something I missed and save some cash and enjoy a handheld game (Gameboy whatever version or Game Gear) at this rate. I don't care to maintain a sales thread here anymore but I put one back up on racketboy and I'm offloading a good bit of stuff and more to come yet, even some unused Lego too. I'd rather have the cash and free space.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Here's a list of games that I've enjoyed or atleast am enjoying on my PS4 and Wii U.

Dark Souls 3
    Bloodborne
    Rayman Legends
    Divinity Original Sin
    Metal Gear Solid 5
    Watch Dogs
    Shovel Knight
    Helldivers
    Destiny
    Super Mario 3D World
    Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    Splatoon
    Little Big Planet 3(although I think this version was a rushed to release the same day as the PS3 version as it has crashes and doesn't even run in full 1080p with black bars on the top and bottom, and that's after several patches, so technically you can mark this one off the list.)
    Elder Scrolls Online
    . This one is a lot better than the reviews lead you to believe, despite the game going to eventually shut down, I'd recommend this to anyone who's interested. It plays a lot like Elder Scrolls and is action based, but it's got a lot of depth with how you build your character. Also for the first time in an Elder Scrolls games, melee and ranged have different abilities.

These are a list of ports that I purchased and played, a few of them I already played through on the PS3 and enjoyed them enough to purchase them again. Most of them, the first four that were listed, came out within a year before the launch of the next gen consoles and were rumored to have a PS4 port(so I didn't purchase any of them until PS4,) one of them, Diablo 3, was confirmed with a PS4 port before the PS360 version even launched. It actually was intended to release on the same day but it was delayed because the Xbox One version was delayed.

Grand Theft Auto 5
    The Last of Us
    Diablo 3
    Dark Souls 2
    Borderlands The Handsome Collection
    DmC Devil May Cry
    Devil May Cry 4
    Sleeping Dogs
    Hotline Miami(Japanese retail release only)
    The Walking Dead Season 1

Here's some games I've played on the PS4 that I didn't like. Many of them highly rated.

The Witcher 3. To be fair, I've only put an hour into this, but the gameplay is so janky, I just didn't want to play anymore
    Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I was actually enjoying it as it wasn't so automated until I got to the town. Then after several missions just couldn't take it anymore.
    Tearaway. This game has put me to sleep three separate times. Literally one of the most boring 3D platformers I've played in my life. After playing four hours of this garbage I sold it.
    Dead or Alive 5. It's a port, and I don't know why I keep getting myself to buy this series. I like the characters, I like the combat, if they could only revise it and remove that damn countering system it'd be one of most enjoyable fighting games.
    Infamous Second Son. The first one was okay, the second one was absolutely amazing, so the third one has to be great right? Wrong. The mission design on this game is terrible and just feels like going from point a to b to c all over the map. There were some well designed missions, but I could count those on one hand. Even the original had a lot of well design missions and even with multiple powers on Second Son, they all felt the same and felt like you actually could do less than on the original.
    Dragon Age Inquisition. I thought this was going to be game of the year myself, which it was.... to journalists. The online mode on this game was a lot of fun, but playing single player it felt like they took a step back from even the second game. Now granted, I put all this time into the first area in the game and only completed two story missions, but if the developers are going to create various open world areas for the player to explore, then fill it with content that isn't boring as shit. It's not my fault every quest was a fetch quest that was always completely on the other side of the map, and the combat had even less strategy than the past two games.
    Ni-Oh Demo. You don't get it Tecmo Koei, just because your game is hard doesn't make it good. Punishing and unfair is not fun.
    NES Remix 1 and 2. Should have been named "How to Play NES Games for Dummies"
    Monster Hunter Ultimate 3. I actually liked fighting the bosses. The fact that the bosses are constantly jumping to other areas and you need to run across the map to get to them and the ridiculous amount of HP they have so they're massive damage sponges, it turns the game into a massive grind fest that you're running all over the map repeatedly to collect items to upgrade your equipment and that's what makes it not fun. I've actually enjoyed every Monster Hunter clone I've played better than Monster Hunter overall because the other games don't extensively waste the players time.
    Super Smash Bros U. Very boring and repetitive fighting game. When looking at this game competitively, it really is a bunch of characters with mostly identical skillsets with different speeds and ranges. Other than Nintendo fanboys being Nintendo fanboys, this game should not have the following that it does. There was a lot of depth in Playstation All Stars and even though it was unbalanced with a few characters as overpowered on another level compared to others, or some matchups were no contest towards one character over another, every character was so much different and it was a really well developed fighting game.
    Splatoon. Yeah, you saw it on the games I've enjoyed list, so why's it here? Nintendo's shitty online is the reason, and not the online itself, that worked really well. Until a patch that arrived way in the future you could only play with friends by getting in a match and a friend joining your game, only there was no guarantee they'd be on your game, one day for two hours straight I was in one match with a friend while the rest of the time he was on another team. That's not all though. After the patch that allowed you to create a party with friends, you can only invite them in ranked mode, the least fun mode in the game. You only have two maps you can play on that rotate once every FOUR HOURS. Each match lasts three minutes and between loading times, the games timer, etc, you're waiting atleast three minutes before you get into the next match. Play three minutes, wait three or more, so you're waiting more than you're actually playing. If you want to switch weapons be prepared to be forced to leave the match you're in, there's no way to do it otherwise Imo the game had such great gameplay, but such poor design killed it.

Games I haven't played or don't feel like I've played enough of them to give an opinion on.

MLB The Show 16
    WWE2K16
    Until Dawn
    Wasteland 2
    Giana Sisters 2
    Legend of Kay
    Killzone Shadow Fall
    Bayonetta 2

And finally games that I'm interested in that I haven't picked up yet because they haven't hit the right price yet, or future releases. I've played some of a couple of these, but haven't really put any serious time into them.

Uncharted 4
    Grand Kingdom
    For Honor
    Mirror's Edge Catalyst
    Horizon
    Persona 5
    Ghost Recon Wildlands
    Batman Arkham Knight (waiting for GotY edition.)
    Dying Light
    Transformers Devastation
    The Last Guardian
    World of Final Fantasy
    Odin Sphere
    Resident Evil Origins Collection
    Tales of Zesitiria
    Tales of Berseria
    #FE
    . Tokyo Mirage Sessions? Wow, really clever Nintendo/Atlus, whoever came up with the stupid name. They should have called it SMT.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

i think its a great generation the hardware and graphics are amazing and there are enough games to justify all the hardware is it as great as previous generations perhaps not i can agree there but its a fine one all the same

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I'm with the OP on this, I really haven't seen a single game on PS4 or Xbone that's made me go 'OMG yes I must have this'. I thought Fallout 4 would, I thought Witcher 3 and MGS5 would... But no. There's no real innovation anymore, which is why I'm now almost exclusively a PC gamer (insert generic Undertale platitude here). The last time I was really 'wowed' by a game was Oblivion, and even then it's only because I didn't play Morrowind.

By contrast, I loved the shit out of GTA5 and Bioshock infinite, both of which came out a year before the PS4, so I'm willing to be a bit more patient.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    AceAerosmith71

There have been some good games for both systems but this generation seems lackluster to me because good games are rare and it seems like there are fewer releases each year for AAA games. There's mostly digital releases that get little to no press and fanfare. Unless you are really keeping up on games, a lot of indie games just come and go.
    “The world has, forever and always, been brimming with shit-heads.” - Dana Gould

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

I kinda always felt that No Mans Sky would be a PS4 system seller to me but....

seems its stuck in Dev Hell so until something else comes out that wont be better on PC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Unless GoG hasn't been updating, it's not stuck unless just the PS4 version is. It stopped being an exclusive release as a download to keep copy for GOG.com is coming too.

Quoted from GoG.com if they're keeping it up to date: https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky
    The game is scheduled to be released on June 21st in North America, June 22nd in Europe and Australia, and June 24th in the UK and Rest of World.

I was going to get it on PS4, but given my laptop can outperform that, and given the size/scope of it I think it would be better suited to a keyboard/mouse just like how I got DOOM(4) on PC instead of PS4 (which I may get someday still on the cheap there.)

Speaking of being bad about this gen. I had amazon mail me the day it came out Uncharted 4, it's still sealed. I can't motivate myself to play it. I've got my new MVS cabinet I'm tooling with, and I'm whittling down a stack of blu rays between the Hunger Games (finished last night) and the Terminator 4 movie box set anthology too (start tonight?) as well. Plus I did a trade on some game soundtracks and I've got 3 GG games on my desk here and also that japanese only GB Bonk (all 3 in 1) collection and Revelations or GBc (aka SMT: Last Bible.) I'm a bit overwhelmed on things to do and time not there to do them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by WCP View Post
    So, I've been gaming for a very long time, and I've seen generation after generation.... First gaming system was an Atari VCS in 1977. Got my NES for Xmas 1986. I've basically seen every single generation of gaming come and go since then.

I'm honestly struggling to think of a more "boring" generation of gaming. I bought both the Xbox One and PS4 on their respective launch days. I was super hyped for both systems. Ultimately, since their arrival in November 2013, it just seems like both of these systems are such a waste.. I can't think of one specific game that makes the Xbox One or PS4 a mandatory purchase. Here we are in 2016, a number of years after their launch, and I really can't think of a single game release that truly blew me away.

Doesn't anybody remember when a new video game would come out that would just blow everybody the F away ? It just seems like it's been so freaking long since this has happened. The last time it "truly" happened was GTA 3 on PS2 back in October of 2001. But, if I'm a bit more lenient, I guess I could say Bioshock, Crackdown and Fallout 3. Certainly nothing from this generation. There doesn't seem to be anything in particular on the horizon either that has me really excited. I'd like to check out Uncharted 4, but I'm guessing it's just going to be a really, really purdy version of Uncharted and nothing truly ground breaking. What the heck happened to this industry ? Is it just the law of diminishing returns or something ?
    I agree 100% with this post. My history is the same as yours. Maybe we are getting too old.
    I play my WiiU more than my PS4 and XBOX one combined but that's not saying much because I play
    last gen. systems even more.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that I'm less interested in the big commercial releases these days - doesn't really help that many of them launch broken (or at least really glitchy) and requires patches for games to be in half decent states. This gen got so bad that I just stopped buying games at launch bar a couple from trusted developers (Nintendo for one, and the Sega published Yakuza series). I also prefer strong single player games, not a fan of multiplayer games so all these new multiplayer focused games do nothing for me.

I find myself gravitating to indie releases more and more. I'm a huge fan of most of the recent 2D platformers on offer, and there are loads more that I want to play. Despite it being rather mishandled at points I'm really hyped for Mighty No 9 next month (loved the PC demo's) and the concept of No Man's Sky sounds cool.

The only big exception on the PS4 (and why its still my primary console) is for the Yakuza series - I could play those games forever (in fact - I'm playing the PS4 remake of the first game now and I'm completely addicted to it, its fantastic).

For the Wii U - its probably one of my lesser played Nintendo consoles, I'm mainly just not a fan of the game pad at all (much prefer the great pro pad) but it has a nice line up of titles. I've got a nice backlog of stuff that I need to finish on this console.

As for the Xbox One - its basically a paperweight. I barely ever use it these days and just can't really get hyped about any of the titles on offer. The only two games I need to play this year on it is the definitive edition of Ori and the Blind Forest (amazing game) and Cuphead (which looks fab). Again, these are indie titles.