Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does this Xbox One - PS4 generation seem terribly boring to anybody else ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'm finding it's not the years, it's the mileage. Indiana Jones said it best.

The mileage used to be a fun road of gaming and equal parts finding and discovering stuff. Things in the last five years in particular have become worse and worse from multiple angles. If you're a classic game player, Nintendo predators make that an un-fun mess and various others like the TG16/PCE, Sega CD/32X/Saturn stuff greatly so, and a few other screw ball things. I mean seriously, now that I'm schooled on what MVS carts (Neo Geo Arcade) go for it's nauseating what was once considered 'the expensive shit' now look like a deal.

Then you have the modern stuff, greatly so the MS and Sony stuff, though Nintendo has their own issues too. The first two clowns push out crap 90% of the time before it is done using people as $60 guinea pigs -- bullshit on that. All three of them are living off franchises but they're all taking them down a darker road where it's a prettier package with a crappier or at least more boring/contrived re-run under the surface. You have MS/Sony doing the me-too games in some shoving match, and Nintendo decided to go sit in a corner and put one thumb in its mouth and suck it while shoving the other in their ass and spinning on it considering they're deaf and blind to the complaints, yet offer people nothing worth buying unless it is there stuff and they wonder why the WiiU rots on the shelf.

3 Years ago now I came to the conclusion that I can't play in this pond as much anymore, and progressively it is now to where I can't tolerate it much at all anymore as a generalized blanket statement. As it stands I have 15 3DS games and 10 for the PS4. I should have more, but the games aren't that good and I finish them and dump them for another except a few, and even then I really haven't rolled over that many titles on either so it's not like I own 10 but sold 30 which isn't the case. 2 days later, still Uncharted 4 sits wrapped up and I know I'd enjoy it, but I have no care to open it now. Why? I could guess, but I'd rather not. Truth be told I get more fun out of non-touch based bite sized stuff or at least portable stuff mostly now with some PC thrown in. I'm more into the non-standard stuff like my MVS cabinet and Pin-Bot than the traditional. If I go down the normal road I have DOOM 2016 going on PC, and I'm screwing around really just with Gameboy and Game Gear stuff passively because I don't want to deal with it anymore.

That's why I'm selling off my collection currently as far as about 95-98% of it goes that I didn't buy up before the year 2000 as far as consoles go. It doesn't mean I'll dump it all, nor does it mean I may not want Goemon's Great Adventure for N64 some day again and just grab it, but I've pushed the Start Button to pause this game for now. Maybe my mood will improve, maybe it won't. I'd rather get rid of the unused stuff if it's gaming or whatever, and throw it towards something I can use like some MVS carts for my Neo Geo, or if I can ever track it down Konami GB Collection Vol4 (UK GBC) for Gameboy Color.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Yesterday I started playing Conduit for the Wii. And I started thinking to myself: why did I buy this game? It was unique and indie and whatever, but it's kind of a boring shooter. Are all shooters this boring? I think I am going to sell some of my games, too (although looks like nobody wants Conduit). Backloggery.com is a good motivation - if I don't like a game, get rid of it to get it out of my backlog.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find it hard to believe anybody pays full price for games nowadays. Just wait a couple months and it will be on the bargain shelf for less than 20. So why buy these new games just to keep them wrapped in cellophane for months on end sitting on the shelf? They will most likely need some kind of patch or install. Is it some kind of horniness to buy games brand new and let em collect dust? I guess people like throwing dough away, whatever.

Ps4 and xbone games look lame and I'll never own either. When I want to play a game I should be able to fire it up and go. Only recently got a ps3 and it's bullshit for most games. I guess it's cool to release buggy games and patch them later, because y'all suckers keep buyin it all up. Impatient game players and greedy corps are a match made in heaven.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I semi-regret having the PS4, but I don't and the sad reason is because it streams amazon prime video, netflix quite well and makes for a very slick blu ray player too. There's an occasional game, I have 10 total, over the couple years I've had it and I've ditched my guess 5 or so, so I never bought much. There have been too much trashy rehash, remakes/mixes, stuff ported also to the last gen which isn't too far off the mark to bother with too. I'll get around to Uncharted 4 at some rate, don't feel bad since I got 20% off on it anyway and free shipping/tax so it'll be awhile before it's that low in stores.

The odd thing is I'm also realizing I'm not all that happy with my 3DS as I was with the DS and especially anything Gameboy. Support while ok has fallen off a lot, and some sequels are subpar like Bravely Default 2 so I haven't bought it. Smash Bros and that shitty Zelda open world SNES sequel I couldn't tolerate more than a few hours of so I'm selling them off too barely used. I can't think of crap to buy for it coming later either other than dragon quest which is annoying. I just picked up a few DS games due to a find yesterday in a lot I got and they're more interesting and varied which is sad. The mobile market is just really screwing things up on closed handheld systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    I find it hard to believe anybody pays full price for games nowadays. Just wait a couple months and it will be on the bargain shelf for less than 20. So why buy these new games just to keep them wrapped in cellophane for months on end sitting on the shelf? They will most likely need some kind of patch or install. Is it some kind of horniness to buy games brand new and let em collect dust? I guess people like throwing dough away, whatever.

Ps4 and xbone games look lame and I'll never own either. When I want to play a game I should be able to fire it up and go. Only recently got a ps3 and it's bullshit for most games. I guess it's cool to release buggy games and patch them later, because y'all suckers keep buyin it all up. Impatient game players and greedy corps are a match made in heaven.
    Horniness?

I've had my PS3 since the summer of 06. It's been an outstanding Blu-Ray player, as well as a go to for Netflix. Yeah, for the most part, the early releases on the system weren't all that great and they had some performance issues, but I can't say that the system wasn't performing well from 2009 on. I've probably had more gaming enjoyment from the PS3, than I have had from any system before or after. The patches that the 360 and PS3 have to go through to make a game perform right is pretty sad, but it's still not a deal breaker to me, considering that my PCs go through the same kind of BS. I've been less impressed with the PS4, because the library is so thin for a console that has been on the market for over 2.5 years.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamevet View Post
    Horniness
    Whatever you want to call it, help me understand? Gameslop or whoever can do inventory for you. Why buy it new and not play it? These are modern installs. It's a waste while lining the suits up with fat pockets.

What does netflix and bluray have to do with videogames? I have a smart tv and blu player, that's irrelevant. God of War 3 and GRID are great. Waiting 45 fucking minutes to play Transformers: WOC is unacceptable. Having to patch games after cracking them open is unacceptable. And now I have no internet connection so I can't even "fix" the games if I do buy, even cheapy used. Games that should be fully functional from the DOOR. Shouldn't have to connect to the internet, look at the demographics.

Stop buying broken junk and they'll stop producing it. Blame yourselves. Or just play old games, there's enough out there to last you a lifetime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Whatever you want to call it, help me understand? Gameslop or whoever can do inventory for you. Why buy it new and not play it? These are modern installs. It's a waste while lining the suits up with fat pockets.

What does netflix and bluray have to do with videogames? I have a smart tv and blu player, that's irrelevant. God of War 3 and GRID are great. Waiting 45 fucking minutes to play Transformers: WOC is unacceptable. Having to patch games after cracking them open is unacceptable. And now I have no internet connection so I can't even "fix" the games if I do buy, even cheapy used. Games that should be fully functional from the DOOR. Shouldn't have to connect to the internet, look at the demographics.

Stop buying broken junk and they'll stop producing it. Blame yourselves. Or just play old games, there's enough out there to last you a lifetime.
    Obviously, you do have an internet connection, because you are posting on these forums. You may be doing it with a smart phone, which can be tethered to your PS3's Wi-Fi connection anyways.

I have a Vizio Blu-Ray player in the master bedroom. It also has a Netflix player, but that player is pure garbage. It won't play the latest Blu-Ray movies, and it's pretty slow at loading Netflix videos. The PS3 is so much better than the player offered by Vizio., and even though it is older than my Vizio Blu-Ray player, it can run every movie in Blu-Ray, while the Vizio Blu-Ray player cannot.

Do you even play games on PC? They are pretty much tied to an internet connection, and in the most recent cases, the only way you can get those games is in a digital format.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I mostly have done what cranky here is getting at. I've bought very few PS4 games, and the 3DS library really has rarely ever needed a patch as Nintendo won't let that shit fly like Sony and MS do which is disgusting. I'd rather if I'm going to have to download games get it on GoG since I can own it still, physical first if possible, and as a last choice the steam drm wall. At least while they patch I'm not stuck and the games on there won't expire like a console network which can flip the switch. That PS4 I do have, it was a middle finger of a buy -- used off someone else but new, they opened it and never set it up so they oculdn't take it back to costco. Ended up they bought a $500 system, sold it for $300, I got rid of the shitty 5 games it came with and got it down to $200. That's why I don't hate the thing at this rate as that $200 price tag makes for a very nice rare game play box that does beautiful streaming and br/dvd playing. I'd have been pissed if I put up $400 when it came out.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Willing to admit that I'm seeing the returns for investing more heavily in a good PC rig than when I was a console-only gamer. Steam sales just change the way you think about games, too. Plus the very lax refund policy is a great thing to have.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I have a Vizio Blu-Ray player in the master bedroom. It also has a Netflix player, but that player is pure garbage. It won't play the latest Blu-Ray movies, and it's pretty slow at loading Netflix videos. The PS3 is so much better than the player offered by Vizio., and even though it is older than my Vizio Blu-Ray player, it can run every movie in Blu-Ray, while the Vizio Blu-Ray player cannot.
    I can't understand how this is even possible, how a specific format player can be unable to play the format that it is designed to be compatible with. That's the whole point in adopting a standard in the first place, for widespread easy compatibility. I can understand some specific features not being compatible with older players the same way CD Text isn't compatible with old machines, but they should at least still be playable on all equipment including older models.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I assume his newer movies are expecting a certain firmware level in those players to run and aren't seeing it and thus are locking themselves out. His PS3 is likely up to date and thus isn't causing him any issues.

It's one tactic that they use to force feed updates.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah, anti-piracy mandatory firmware update issues, from what I've heard.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Obviously, you do have an internet connection, because you are posting on these forums. You may be doing it with a smart phone, which can be tethered to your PS3's Wi-Fi connection anyways.

Do you even play games on PC? They are pretty much tied to an internet connection, and in the most recent cases, the only way you can get those games is in a digital format.
    Old $20 smartphone is my connection. Or tablet using some free hotspot. Not able to be used as a mobile hotspot. Mobile data is ridiculously expensive or limited to be doing that nonsense anyway. Millions of people don't have a connection, these companies are only limiting their audience. There should be no need to go online to play a videogame, unless you're into multiplayer.

Never had a pc, probably never will. Too expensive for shit that will be obsolete in a week and the need to keep expanding is a no go for me. Pc games also look lame to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    I assume his newer movies are expecting a certain firmware level in those players to run and aren't seeing it and thus are locking themselves out. His PS3 is likely up to date and thus isn't causing him any issues.

It's one tactic that they use to force feed updates.
    I remember how many times I needed to update the firmware on my VCRs or laserdisc players, a grand total of zero times. I think there were some possible issues with early DVD players not being able to play dual layer discs but I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly. There were some issues with specific DVD players not being compatible with some specific discs but these were because of bugs or poorly mastered discs, I think some players were fixable with a firmware update in these cases. It's still not a regular occurrence like with Blu Ray firmware updates.

Old $20 smartphone is my connection. Or tablet using some free hotspot. Not able to be used as a mobile hotspot. Mobile data is ridiculously expensive or limited to be doing that nonsense anyway. Millions of people don't have a connection, these companies are only limiting their audience. There should be no need to go online to play a videogame, unless you're into multiplayer.

Never had a pc, probably never will. Too expensive for shit that will be obsolete in a week and the need to keep expanding is a no go for me. Pc games also look lame to me.
    PCs are cheaper than consoles. You can find a 10 year old PC for cheap or even for free if you look hard enough, these are still powerful enough to browse the internet, watch videos, and play most games. Most modern games are terrible so it doesn't really matter that much, but I'd rather have a PC than a current console as it's more useful to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You're wasting your time convincing him of anything, such as his view of PC gaming despite facts like a hefty percentage of 3rd party AAA console content also appears on the PC.

Makes it rather difficult to understand how one can enjoy contemporary console gaming but not see any redeeming qualities whatsoever elsewhere just because the box that plays them looks different and has some different capabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember how many times I needed to update the firmware on my VCRs or laserdisc players, a grand total of zero times.
    You don't need to convince me that it stinks, since I'm in full agreement.

That said, I think that's what you're likely experiencing.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-24-2016 at 10:57 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I remember how many times I needed to update the firmware on my VCRs or laserdisc players, a grand total of zero times. I think there were some possible issues with early DVD players not being able to play dual layer discs but I can't be sure I'm remembering correctly. There were some issues with specific DVD players not being compatible with some specific discs but these were because of bugs or poorly mastered discs, I think some players were fixable with a firmware update in these cases. It's still not a regular occurrence like with Blu Ray firmware updates.
    I had a Sony DVD player (DVP-S560D) that I'd bought some time around 1999-2000. It had 5.1 DTS , optical out and all of the fancy stuff of the time. 3 or 4 years later it had a hard time playing anything that was new on DVD. I ended up buying a cheap $30 DVD player that lasted a year and then another one that could do 720p upscale. The 720p upscale DVD player lasted maybe 2 years before it crapped the bed. I had a really nice Fisher 4 head Hi-Fi VCR that lasted over a decade and sounded really good in Pro-Logic surround; it was a sad day when I had to throw it away.

The Vizio BR player that I'd bought, was the one model from Vizio that did not have a firmware update, even though the thing had internet connectivity. It just doesn't make sense that my PS2 can play just about every DVD I've thrown at it, and the same can be said about my PS3 with Blu-Ray.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Take your PS3 offline and you'll find it there in time, too. It will be an error about your encryption key being out of date and you'll be prompted to go online and update your system to play newer releases.

It's just doing the same thing, force feeding Blu-Ray playback updates by making newer discs expect a particular firmware level on the PS3 and refusing to play if they don't see it. You just haven't noticed it since apparently you must take it online at least occasionally or haven't played discs on it significantly younger than the latest firmware that you have installed on it, making the process invisible to you.

DVD's could hardly lock out the PS2 since there was no mechanism to update the system's firmware. So why would DVD publishers essentially program their releases to expect say firmware 1.1 for the PS2 when played via that hardware when every system was 1.0 with no way to change that?

They're not out to prevent you from playing discs or to make your player obsolete. They're just going a heavy handed route to "encourage" firmware updates in a fruitless attempt to keep security from being non-existent, by making it all but mandatory that you keep hardware that supports firmware updates at least relatively up to date.

Console games have done the same thing for the past two generations (As have PSP and likely Vita and 3DS games as well).
    Last edited by Leo_A; 05-24-2016 at 09:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Take your PS3 offline and you'll find it there in time, too. It will be an error about your encryption key being out of date and you'll be prompted to go online and update your system to play newer releases.

It's just doing the same thing, force feeding Blu-Ray playback updates by making newer discs expect a particular firmware level on the PS3 and refusing to play if they don't see it. You just haven't noticed it since apparently you must take it online at least occasionally or haven't played discs on it significantly younger than the latest firmware that you have installed on it, making the process invisible to you.

DVD's could hardly lock out the PS2 since there was no mechanism to update the system's firmware. So why would DVD publishers essentially program their releases to expect say firmware 1.1 for the PS2 when played via that hardware when every system was 1.0 with no way to change that?

They're not out to prevent you from playing discs or to make your player obsolete. They're just going a heavy handed route to "encourage" firmware updates in a fruitless attempt to keep security from being non-existent, by making it all but mandatory that you keep hardware that supports firmware updates at least relatively up to date.

Console games have done the same thing for the past two generations (As have PSP and likely Vita and 3DS games as well).
    Yeah, I know why the PS3 is still one of the most reliable Blu-Ray players out there, because it is always updated with the latest firmware. The same cannot be said for a good portion of affordable Blu-Ray players that the manufacturers won't keep up to date with the latest encryption firmware, because they would rather have you buy another one in 3 or 4 years.

I haven't bought a DVD in a long time. The last couple of DVDs that I've bought are The King of Kong and Wizards, because they aren't available on Blu-Ray. I guess I could try out The King of Kong on my PS2, to see if the old beast will play it.
    Last edited by Gamevet; 05-24-2016 at 09:33 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I had a Sony DVD player (DVP-S560D) that I'd bought some time around 1999-2000. It had 5.1 DTS , optical out and all of the fancy stuff of the time. 3 or 4 years later it had a hard time playing anything that was new on DVD. I ended up buying a cheap $30 DVD player that lasted a year and then another one that could do 720p upscale. The 720p upscale DVD player lasted maybe 2 years before it crapped the bed. I had a really nice Fisher 4 head Hi-Fi VCR that lasted over a decade and sounded really good in Pro-Logic surround; it was a sad day when I had to throw it away.
    The first DVD player I've got was a Toshiba DVD/VHS combo back in 2005, it's still working and it's still in use. I've picked up several more DVD players as backups, if I can find a DVD recorder with original remote for around $10 I would pick it up. Even some other region models in case I get foreign discs. As far as I know they're still working.

One DVD player a relative has is broken, a portable Toshiba model. He got it brand new as a gift and must have had no more than 5 hours of use on it. When we last took it out of the box, it wouldn't read a disc. The main TV was being used so we thought we could watch a movie in another room, it didn't work out. His original player purchased around 2004 is still working fine.

I have several VHS players too. Multisystem models that can play PAL tapes, S-VHS models, etc. Good models, though I haven't tested every one I have yet to make sure they're all working. With VCRs the ones with more features are more prone to breakdowns, a lot of filters on S-VHS models and other features use more capacitors which fail with age. I'll have to see if they'll need repair. I really like a Sharp multisystem model I have as it's advertised as an 8-head model.

There have been updates in a way with PS2s, while systems couldn't be updated after manufacturing they did update the DVD firmware over the years that the console was in production. If your console was from 2004 it would have different firmware than a launch console from 1999. I forget what these updates actually fixed and don't really feel like looking them up again right now, from memory I believe one update was related to progressive scan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

My PS2 is the GT3 bundle model. It supports progressive scan DVDs just fine. There must have been some kind of updates through software, or DVDs.

The PS2 wasn't available in 1999, btw.