Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does this Xbox One - PS4 generation seem terribly boring to anybody else ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

PS4 as opposed to what?

I went back to alot of retro systems lately this summer and realized there is really nothing wrong with said generation of gaming. Each generation has its ups and down and you get points where you can burn your self out on any system. Sometimes nostalgia influences things more than they should and I am guilty of this myself.

My thought based on my July 2016 trip down memory lane

-NES is still a fun system but its more enjoyable just play on the go at the point. Like on a phone or Nintendo portable. I can't get immersed into any of the archaic RPG worlds in my living room environment and I find myself only finding games like Super C holding my attention span longer than 20 minutes. Castlevania 2 is still a solid game as well but I am convinced that game was coded so you had to buy Nintendo Power but its the ultimate NES game outside of SMB3 in terms of gameplay and music.There are some other games like Shatterhand I regret not playing as a kid that I play as an adult because I thought the label was so corny as a kid. (Compare Mystery Quests label to Shatterhand and you will see how you shouldn't judge a book by its cover).

-Saturn is a system I have been wanting to own again and I picked one up after going to a retro shop that is closing down and they gave it to be 50 percent off. I was surprised when I fired it up how well its aged library wise. Some of the early 3d looked kinda dated like Virtual Fighter but the 2D was still pretty rich and gorgeous. MK Trilogy looks good and I like having a copy of Doom for this system. Even on RF the Saturn looked clean on my HD TV when others systems did not. Also compared to the N64 it really has alot more solid games that got lost in the mixes of the Nintendo/Sony dominace of the late 90's. Granted alot of Saturn stuff ended up on PSX but there are still some titles that feel like they were meant to be played on the Saturn as weird as that sounds. I am going to keep it for good this time around. I can see now why this system was still popular in Japan. For me this console invokes alot of nostalgia from the EGM/GamePro Days as a kid just being excited about the future of gaming after the SNES and Genesis had started to run their course. Its by no means better than a Playstation but I would have to say it is better than an N64 overall library wise.

-Dreamcast is a system that I always end up getting rid of and getting back because of my nostalgia of hacking it before i got into PC gaming and playing Japanese SHUMPS on it yet I got rid of it faster this time around than I had in the past. It still is a well designed system that was powerful for its time but its lack of must have games that aren't on something else really makes it a moot point system at this point to even have. It does NES emulation well yet SNES emulation can't run full speed on it. Neither can Genesis or Turbo. I remember also liking the controller alot more in the past than I do now. After using Microsoft and Sony controllers for years it feels like a slightly better designed N64 controller that isn't as comfortable as it once was. The noisy CD motor and the 56K modem really made the system feel outdated fast compared to the consoles that came out around the same time. I had even bought the SD card adapter that connects to the serial port thinking that would be the answer to give it some sort of link from the past to the modern era but I could never get it to work right. I'll always have fond memories of Resident Evil Code Veronica, Crazy Taxi,Grandia II and the 2K games but outside of that and maybe Shenmue for some people you aren't missing much by not having one.

-Xbox is the spiritual successor to the Dreamcast in terms of the kinda games that would have been on it had it survived so I said my final goodbyes to the Dreamcast and got one. Xbox is still a very ugly looking system but its easier to find games for it and it supports component. It has all the extra bells and whistles I wish the Dreamcast had even it isn't as memorable as the Dreamcast. The thing is beyond easy to mod and most old school emulators(even PSX) run super well on it. The smaller controller is actually pretty good and has aged ok. I was surprised at how good Need for Speed Carbon and Fight Night Round 3 looked and then I played other games and during each one I could just feel like I would have a better experience playing FPS and Splinter cell types games on a 360. Certain games have aged well and some just feel like they are an inferior experience compared to 360/PS3 in terms of physics. I gave this system to my brother as he has no consoles and I feel like he would enjoy going down memory lane with this one in terms of being the easiest to use playing backups of games that are hard to get or find.

-PS2 was the system I always hated back in the day. I guess because it was super popular and I always go for the underdog like I did with the Dreamcast. It also felt underpowered compared to the Gamecube and I was PC gaming kid so I felt more L33T not buying a PS2 back in the day. The thing is however that its probably the easiest system to collect for these day. The game are dirt cheap and you can find them pretty much everywhere as it seems everyone had one. The high library of games is incredible and just finding stuff for it is flat out easier than the other systems of its generations. In terms of the games there are still ones that have aged badly and I will never play for PS2 over the other consoles but there are still alot of games I never even knew about that I feel like I would enjoy as my main retro console to collect for. Alot of games still hold up and being able to play PSX games with the swap disc trick has made me like it more. I always though the original system was ugly but the slim model is a sexy system and I am looking forward to giving this system a chance when I have a retro hair in my body arrise.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 07-16-2016 at 12:09 AM.