Thread: GOTD 5/3/2016: Rainbow Islands Revolution (DS)

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Default GOTD 5/3/2016: Rainbow Islands Revolution (DS)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_214635.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	9064Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_211354.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	9066Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_211409.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	9067Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_211451.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	9068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_211840.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	9069Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_213205.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	9070Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_213946.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	9071Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160502_214531.jpg 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	9072

Okay, so there was a late change of plans here. I had played through and taken pictures from Pocky & Rocky with Becky for GBA, mistakenly thinking it was an inexpensive way to play an english Pocky & Rocky game. Turns out that it's become stupidly expensive, so I switched gears, but I've got an early morning coming. So... Rainbow Islands Revolution for the Nintendo DS!

First thing to note on this one is that there is a Rainbow Islands Evolution for PSP as well, but it is NOT the same game. That one is a traditional style Rainbow Islands game. The DS version here eschews the platforming style for a touch screen swipe fest. You no longer control your character traditionally, as they are trapped in bubbles to be dragged about. There are spikes, birds, bees, helicopters, etc. about, but they don't pop your bubble... they just damage your character. So, your job is to drag your floating buddy through each stage to the goal safely without taking too much damage.

Your main "line" of defense is drawing... shit... no puns. You draw rainbows in order to block enemies' paths, hold yourself in place, and kill enemies by dragging rainbows through them. You can also tap on-screen rainbows before they fade to make them drop, killing enemies below and collecting items they touch for points. It's like a more complicated cell phone game, as dragging your character while attacking and defending can feel like patting your head and rubbing your stomach. A lot comes at you pretty quickly, and safe zones are few and far between. I find it's much easier to put my DS on a table and just hold the stylus in order to best play, as pretty much everything you do revolves around quick, precise touches. You can also gain special attacks like a screen-clearing star attack you can use be tapping your character, but it's mainly about the swiping.

The game is broken up into seven worlds with four stages each, culminating in a boss fight for each world. The weird thing is, the boss fight is attached to the end of the last stage in each world, so if you die, you must replay the entire stage, which is kinda crummy. Still, the graphics are bright and colorful in that Taito style, and the music is light and goofy as you might expect. Everything looks and sounds like it should, and the swiping is precise enough to deal with the game's challenges.

I'm not big on touch controls, but I do like Taito games, and this one is pretty good for what it is. It's not too long, not too easy, and drawing and tapping little rainbows is a decent time. I don't prefer it over classic Rainbow Islands, but for a fun little portable game, it's a solid ride.

Played it?
    Last edited by celerystalker; 05-03-2016 at 01:03 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

First thing to note on this one is that there is a Rainbow Islands Revolution for PSP as well, but it is NOT the same game.
    I have a Rainbow Islands game for the PSP called Evolution. Is there another for the PSP call Revolution, or was that a typo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Megas View Post
    I have a Rainbow Islands game for the PSP called Evolution. Is there another for the PSP call Revolution, or was that a typo?
    It was a typo. I fixed it. I was kinda rushing it last night so I could get to sleep. Sorry!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm pretty sure that I had a copy of Bubble Bobble Revolution for the DS but ended up giving it to my ex girlfriend's kid after playing it and learning that it was some tap the screen shit.

I went through this thing with the DS where I HATED games that forced gimmicky touch controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Me too. It was The World Ends with You that made me more accepting of touch controls. I still don't care a ton for motion or touch control, but I'm at least open to trying games that use them now. Give me a joystick or D-pad any day, though.